42 apologetic questions

So, again, here is a list of questions offered for your consideration, so that you can see how easy it is to come up with logical, common sense questions that will stump most of the folks you come into contact with, or so you can just use one or more of these questions directly in your conversations.

Challenge/Response/Strategy

1. Where in the Bible does it say that we should go by the Bible alone when it comes to all matters pertaining to faith and morals? Scripture verse?
  1. Where in the Bible does it list the books which should be part of the Bible? Scripture verse?
  1. Where in the Bible does it say that public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle? Scripture verse?
  1. Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?
  1. If yes, where in the Bible does it say that the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?
  1. Do you believe the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit?
  1. If yes, where in the Bible does it tell us that the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?
  1. Where in the Bible does it tell us who the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was? Scripture verse?
  1. Is keeping someone from profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord an act of charity? Yes or no?
  1. By using musical instruments in your worship services, even though you know folks in the Churches of Christ believe that musical instruments should not be used in worship services, are you being “exclusive” in your worship service? Yes or no?
  1. Do you interpret the Bible? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #11 is yes, is your interpretation infallible? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #12 is no, then will you admit that your interpretations of the Bible could be wrong in one or more places? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #11 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, Matt Johnson, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #14 is yes, then who? Just one name please.
  1. Do you believe that participating at the Lord’s Table in an “unworthy manner” and “profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord” would cause grave peril to someone…either physically or spiritually? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #16 is yes, then shouldn’t pastors continually warn their congregations about participating unworthily at the Lord’s Table? Yes or no?
  1. Do you believe that profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord is a serious sin? Yes or no?
  1. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved? Yes or no?
  1. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people? Yes or no?
  1. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church? Yes or no?
  1. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching? Yes or no?
  1. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught? Yes or no?
  1. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals? Yes or no?
  1. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines? Yes or no?
  1. In your church, can two walk together if they are not in agreement? Yes or no?
  1. Did Jesus give his real flesh or his symbolic flesh for the life of the world? Real or symbolic?
  1. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world? Yes or no?
  1. Did Jesus say that we had to eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?
  1. Did Jesus say that His flesh was food indeed and that His blood was drink indeed? Yes or no?
  1. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals? Yes or no?
  1. If all scholars disagree as to what constitutes exegesis and eisegesis, then do you know with 100% certainty what constitutes exegesis and eisegesis? Yes or no?
  1. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses? Yes or no?
  1. Is the correlation I am drawing between the flesh that Jesus shall give for the life of the world and the bread that Jesus shall give us to eat, found in John 6:51? Yes or no?
  1. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #35 is yes, then can we say that His flesh does indeed profit us? Yes or no?
  1. If the answer to #36 is yes, then does verse 62 of John 6 mean that it counts as nothing to eat Jesus’ flesh and to drink His blood? Yes or no?
  1. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?” Yes or no?
  1. Are you an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?
  1. If #39 is yes, is your interpretation of Scripture infallible? Yes or no?
  1. Am I an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?
  1. If you are not an authentic interpreter of Scripture, then who is?

I thought this was quite good and you might want to consider these in your apologetics.
biblechristiansociety.com/newsletter/detail/166

:thumbsup: Martignoni is awesome!

Well, I can anticipate some answers.

1. Where in the Bible does it say that we should go by the Bible alone when it comes to all matters pertaining to faith and morals? Scripture verse?

You know what the’re gonna try. “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” [2Tim 3:16]
And we explain that “useful” and “self-sufficient” are not the same thing, and that Paul was referring to the Scripture of Timothy’s youth (meaning only the OT), but they will say the first point is weak and the second point is invalid because Paul was being prophetic regarding the New Testament. And, while the Catholic case is stronger, it is not decisive and it is a stalemate.

1. Where in the Bible does it list the books which should be part of the Bible? Scripture verse?

Protestants are often under the misconception that the books of the Bible (especially the NT) were the ONLY early Christian writings. If this were true, it would be a stronger case to accept the Canon apart from the authority of the Church. But, while you and I know this is WAAAYYY not true, it would be hard to convince a protestant on a street corner.

1. Where in the Bible does it say that public revelation ended with the death of the last apostle? Scripture verse?

A lot of protestants don’t believe that, especially those of the pentecostal variety (who believe new prophesy is revealed through glossolalia). Many protestants (of any stripe) are willing to accept new revelation (look at all of the end-times fiascoes).

1. Do you believe the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Yes or no?

Yeah, duh. Why? Do you disagree.

1. If yes, where in the Bible does it say that the writer of the Gospel of Mark was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?

It doesn’t have to say so. It’s one of the Gospels. (yeah, it’s circular logic, but many protestants are not particularly strong in philosophy).

1. Do you believe the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit?

Ibid 4.

1. If yes, where in the Bible does it tell us that the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was inspired by the Holy Spirit? Scripture verse?

Because it was written by St. Paul. (I’m walking right into Question 8)

1. Where in the Bible does it tell us who the writer of the Letter to the Hebrews was? Scripture verse?

You dummy! It says right here, in my KJV, that the NAME OF THE EPISTLE is “The Epistle of St. Paul to the Hebrews.” (They don’t know that the Epistles did not actually have titles.)

1. Is keeping someone from profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord an act of charity? Yes or no?

Of course it is. Blasphemy is bad. Oh, wait - you don’t mean that wafer-god, do you?

1. By using musical instruments in your worship services, even though you know folks in the Churches of Christ believe that musical instruments should not be used in worship services, are you being “exclusive” in your worship service? Yes or no?

I don’t have much of a rhetorical answer for that one. I don’t know what the CoC position on musical instruments are, and I’m not sure how much of an impact this would make on a non-CoC protestant. I know that Martin Luther favored only instruments mentioned in Scripture, but I doubt many protestants today know that.

1. Do you interpret the Bible? Yes or no?

Obviously!

1. If the answer to #11 is yes, is your interpretation infallible? Yes or no?

Well, we don’t use the word “infallible.” We say Spirit-led. (he doesn’t realize the two terms are identical).

1. If the answer to #12 is no, then will you admit that your interpretations of the Bible could be wrong in one or more places? Yes or no?

Well, I ain’t “no” so I ain’t admittin nuthin.

1. If the answer to #11 is yes, then does anyone have the authority to tell you, Matt Johnson, that your interpretations of the Bible are wrong? Yes or no?

I suppose my pastor could tell me. But it ain’t never happened (because protestants seek out pastors that tell them what they already believe, as Paul prophecized to Timothy: “For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.” [2Tim 4:3]).

1. If the answer to #14 is yes, then who? Just one name please.

Ibid 14

1. Do you believe that participating at the Lord’s Table in an “unworthy manner” and “profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord” would cause grave peril to someone…either physically or spiritually? Yes or no?

Yeah, if we’re having one of our monthly communion services, and some idiot jumps up and says “f*** Jesus” then that’s pretty bad. But (suppose) I’m OSAS, so if he’s saved, that won’t make any difference, but it might cause him to loose his job or somethin.

1. If the answer to #16 is yes, then shouldn’t pastors continually warn their congregations about participating unworthily at the Lord’s Table? Yes or no?

Well, I ain’t never seen nobody jump up in the middle of a service and shout something stupid. So it really doesn’t come up. That would be like parents continually warning their kids about peeing in the toaster. It’s kinda pointless.

1. Do you believe that profaning the Body and Blood of the Lord is a serious sin? Yes or no?

If you mean blasphemy, then of course. But (suppose) I’m OSAS, so I won’t go to hell or anything else like that, but the transmission in my truck might go out. You ain’t talkin about that wafer-god, are you? Cause I go right ahead and spit on that and my transmission will be just fine - might even be better.

[CONTINUED]

… CONTINUED]

1. Can those who do not have God’s approval be saved? Yes or no?

No way. You gotta accept Jesus as your own personal Lord and Savior (a completely non-Biblical phrase, BTW).

1. Did the Apostles teach different doctrines to different people? Yes or no?

Well, they might have. Ain’t nothing in the Bible that says they had to teach exactly the same thing. I don’t believe all the same stuff as the Methodists, and that’s OK.

1. Did the Apostles and other leaders of the early Church believe it was okay to have false doctrines within the Church? Yes or no?

Well, no. They might have taught different things, but not false things (but, since many protestants disagree on fundamental questions of faith - such as Baptism - that’s not a philosophically sound answer).

1. Did the Apostles break fellowship with those who were teaching different doctrines than they were teaching? Yes or no?

Oh, yeah. We do the same thing. Why, just last month, Joe Smith was carrying on with Steve’s wife, and we told him he ain’t coming back, because Steve is a good guy.

1. Did Jesus and the Apostles demand conformity to the doctrines they taught? Yes or no?

You dummy! They wouldn’t have written the Bible if they had not expected us to conform to it. (there’s SO much wrong with that answer…)

1. Were the Apostles infallible in their teaching on faith and morals? Yes or no?

Ibid 12

1. Can you be “one” with someone who believes in false doctrines? Yes or no?

Well, we are all American’s, ain’t we? We are all one, but some are Jews and what not.

1. In your church, can two walk together if they are not in agreement? Yes or no?

Ain’t nobody in my church what disagrees (ibid 14)

1. Did Jesus give his real flesh or his symbolic flesh for the life of the world? Real or symbolic?

He gave his real flesh on Calvary. Jesus don’t do nothing that is just symbolic.

1. Did Jesus say that the bread he would give us to eat, which, if we ate we would live for ever, was the flesh that He would give for the life of the world? Yes or no?

Yeah. And he gave his flesh on Calvary. What part of this are you not getting?

1. Did Jesus say that we had to eat His flesh and drink His blood in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?

Yeah, but obviously he didn’t mean that literally. There wasn’t enough of his flesh to go around (completely misses Loaves and Fishes). And that’s pretty gross anyway, dontcha think? He meant that we had to accept him as our Personal Lord and Savior, and take his spirit into our bodies.

1. Did Jesus say that His flesh was food indeed and that His blood was drink indeed? Yes or no?

Ibid 29

1. Do you believe the Body of Christ, the church, with Jesus as its head, can teach error in the areas of faith and morals? Yes or no?

Well, the Body of Christ is all the Christians out there. So the “Body of Christ” don’t teach nuthin - how could it? My pastor teaches. And, he teaches exactly what I believe! (ibid 14)

1. If all scholars disagree as to what constitutes exegesis and eisegesis, then do you know with 100% certainty what constitutes exegesis and eisegesis? Yes or no?

Exa-WHAT?

1. Can God appear to you under any form He chooses? Yes or no?

I suppose he could - he’s God, and he can do anything, right? But he don’t need to. I’ve been Spirit Baptized and I’m saved by the Blood of the Lamb. So why would God want to appear to little ol’ me?

1. Is the correlation I am drawing between the flesh that Jesus shall give for the life of the world and the bread that Jesus shall give us to eat, found in John 6:51? Yes or no?

What correlation is that, exactly? I ain’t seen no correlation.

1. Do we need to eat the flesh and drink the blood of Jesus Christ in order to have eternal life? Yes or no?

We gotta accept Jesus as our personal Lord and Savior, and take his Spirit into ourselves. But it’s a spiritual thing. Jesus said, near at the end of John 6, “The Spirit gives life; the flesh counts for nothing. The words I have spoken to you–they are full of the Spirit and life.” [John 6:63].

1. If the answer to #35 is yes, then can we say that His flesh does indeed profit us? Yes or no?

Well, yes, but in the Spirit.

1. If the answer to #36 is yes, then does verse 62 of John 6 mean that it counts as nothing to eat Jesus’ flesh and to drink His blood? Yes or no?

If you don’t accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior then it accounts for nothing. Look, son, you seem to be hung up on this whole “eat” thing. It don’t mean eating like we eat a ham sandwich. It means accepting him into our hearts.

1. Does Jesus’ flesh “count for nothing?” Yes or no?

It counted for everything on Calvary. And that was " through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all." [Heb 10:10]. (he thinks it means once in time, and not once for all people, in all places, and all times).

1. Are you an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

You betcha! I’m Spirit led.

1. If #39 is yes, is your interpretation of Scripture infallible? Yes or no?

Ibid 12

1. Am I an authentic interpreter of Scripture? Yes or no?

Well, ain’t you a Catholik? If I understand correctly (and, in this case, he does), not even YOU believe you are an authentic interpreter of Scripture. So if you don’t believe it, why should I?

1. If you are not an authentic interpreter of Scripture, then who is?

I am. You ain’t.

LOL! David Filmer, you crack me up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Right, obviously these are NOT questions meant for a Catholic to machine-gun into an “opponent’s” face and then quietly await the “gotcha” response. These are questions to keep in mind, to use in pertinent conversations, in the right place at the right time when dialoging with a fellow Christian, to get them thinking. Because, when you really start to look critically at it, the Catholic view is not as “unbiblical” as they think, and their view may not be as Biblical as they believed it was.

#2 is one of my infamous 4 questions :wink:

Using Scripture alone, please tell me:

1. Where it says that the number of books in the New Testament is officially 27?
  2. Where does it say what books belong in the NT?
  3. Where does it say what versions of the books belong in the NT? For example: There was a version of Matthew’s Gospel that had 8 chapters worth of text. Another with 18. A third with 28. Which one is the correct one, using Scripture alone?
  4. Where does it say which TRANSLATION of the books in the NT is the correct one?
    The answers to these infamous 4 questions were determined infallibly, and correctly. If they’re not, then there’s no way to practice the principles of Sola Scriptura, since there’s no “Scriptura” to be the “Sola” authority.
    According to Sola Scriptura, there must be a scriptural basis for these infallibly determined beliefs. So I look forward to the Bible verses that answer these 4 questions.

John M. should add those to his list :slight_smile:

Quite good - any more ideas about the right questions to ask?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.