4th Commandment

Is it morally acceptable to avoid rest on Sundays by cutting an elderly parent’s grass? The grass could be cut by a professional for money; however, the son wants to save money by cutting it himself on Sundays.

Please, cut the grass and help out however you can! You are participating in living out Our Lord’s Gospels!

He is a good son. Jesus said in the Bible to take care of our parents and that if we don’t then we are worse than the heathens (I Tim 5:8). It is my understanding that we are to not do unnecessary work on Sunday. If Sunday is the only day he can do it then I don’t see how it is a sin.

The son is not “avoiding rest”, he is doing a good deed. I really do not see a problem here.

Peace
James

The only problem would be if he was able to do it on any other day, but instead put it off until Sunday.

The Catechism seems to suggest that the works of mercy are a good thing to do on Sundays: CCC 2185 - “On Sundays and other holy days of obligation, the faithful are to refrain from engaging in work or activities that hinder the worship owed to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, the performance of the works of mercy, and the appropriate relaxation of mind and body. Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest.” source I think what you are describing fits the recommendations of that passage.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Plus - a lot of people don’t think of mowing grass as something that necessarily hinders the things mentioned above. I will meditate and pray while cutting grass. Others find this sort of activity (gardening of various kinds) to be relaxing and enjoyable.

Peace
James

Jesus did a lot of good works on the Sabbath.

I enjoy mowing the lawn on Sunday. Our Trash comes on Monday so I don’t have clippings stinking up the joint, and I feel that it is fun, relaxing and therapeutic. I do not presume to be better than others, but I hardly think that moral choice of mine is a damnable offense. But perhaps you do?

Mark 3:4 New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

4 Then he said to them, “Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath rather than to do evil,"

It could be considered a good work; however, he could also hire a professional to do the work.

Maybe, but that’s beside the point.

So your issue is not with Sunday in particular because you could hire someone else to “break the Sabbath rule?”

There have been a number of chore or lawn mowing threads with parents recently. I wonder if there is some sort of misinformation going around. Odd in the dead of winter even with the location of the posters…

A good grasp on holiness and theology would get any young man to mow the lawn as an obedient person should enjoy doing…

You are assuming I mean that the payment would be in exchange for work on Sunday. The grass could be cut for payment any day of the week.

Either way this is not a sin and the grass can be cut. I am curious why this is a moral issue to you?

We have to follow all of the commandments as a youngster, not just the one about being obedient to parents.

Yes. And mowing the lawn is not breaking the command. As has been established. I hope you have the same zeal against real moral violations…

I believe you are making excuses for putting off things until Sunday.

Well then I believe you are wrong. And I think you are going out of your way to go further than the Church. what position are you in to judge the state of the subject of the op.

I have read the commandment. You make excuses for violating God’s law, rather than changing your behavior.

I believe you would be surprised at how many things we do are a sin but yet aren’t explicitly printed in the CCC excluding the narrative of the first commandment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.