5.8 earthquake on the East Coast

:eek:

From Twitter:

TWCBreaking - Prelim 5.8 Earthquake epicenter about 34 miles NW of Richmond, VA. 87 miles SW of DC. Begin felt as far north as #NYC and New Jersey.

I felt it here in Northeast Ohio,
right near Cleveland.

**Apparent earthquake rocks Washington D.C. area

Update at 2p.m. ET: **Reuters reports a 6.2 magnitude earthquake centered near Mineral, Va., rocked the mid-Atlantic states and was felt as far north at Manhattan and as far south as North Carolina.

****Update at 1:57 p.m. ET:****The Associated Press reports that the Pentagon is being evacuated.
An apparent earthquake rocks Washington, D.C. area.
Fox news reports that several public buildings, including the Capitol, have been evacuated

content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2011/08/apparent-earthquake-rocks-washington-dc-area/1

I didn’t feel it but some co workers felt it.

I felt it in NC.

My mom is in NC and she texted me that she thought she was feeling an earthquake. It woke her up from a nap, the whole house shook.

She is about 90 minutes West from the coast.

~Liza

I felt it in WV panhandle…can;t get a hold of my wife at her work…DHS/FEMA.

Hope your wife is okay.

From Twitter:

BreakingNews Widespread reports that cell service is disrupted in eastern US following quake; more at breakignnews bit.ly/rjPtXT

Thanks for the intel. We are having a situation as my son just wrecked the car as well. They may have evaced the building…the kids school just called and has the school on lockdown and reports a 6.0 in Fredrick, MD. Not a seperate incident.

I felt it! I thought it felt like an earthquake but I couldn’t quite believe it. (I’m in dowtown Manhattan.)

We felt it here in Detroit. A Facebook friend reported feeling it in Toronto as well

Perhaps the Lord Our God is speaking again to some in the D.C. area nearby.:shrug:

Felt it as well! I’ve posted a thread in the “Back Fence”

I felt 2 tremors, 1 slight one, then a break, then another tremor that lasted for about 5-10 seconds.

Really felt it here in C’ville. It shook my whole apartment complex and the buildings literally were swaying!

I pray that there will be no one injured.

Felt it for about 10 - 15 seconds - here on Long Island, NY

I felt it in New York City. Reported as a 5.9 with only 0.6 mile depth. The shallow depth is apparently why it traveled so far, and also due to the old, cold, worn rocks on the East Coast. No aftershocks here so far.

I felt it for about 30 seconds here in the Sandhills of NC.
It was totally not severe here, though. Just some mild shaking. I mean, thought it was the washing machine on spin cycle for a second! :stuck_out_tongue: LOL
I hope there is no severe damage elsewhere.:frowning:

Yes, that was me, sorryt! JK :smiley:

Felt it here in Eastern PA

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.