5 First Saturdays - Fatima

I recently viewed a DVD of the Miracle of Fatima, afterwhich Fr. Apostoli spoke for quite some time regarding Fatima. He discussed making the five first Saturdays that Our Lady spoke of. He also mentioned that one could attend a Mass on Saturday evening which would still count for attending the first Saturday Mass. My husband and I always attend a 5 PM Saturday Mass which fulfills our Sunday obligation. (reason being I usually have insomnia and I’m never sure I can be up on time Sunday to attend Mass).

My question is this. If we attend that one Mass on Saturday evening does that fulfill the requirement for both Sunday Mass and a first Saturday Mass? Somehow I feel it would be cheating. What do you think? Is there anywhere that I can find the church’s rules re this?

Thanks.

I’m currently nearing the end of the 5 First Saturdays devotion. I’m usually a Saturday night Mass attender anyway, so I’ve using that as part if the devotion as well. After I receive Communion, I offer it in reparation to Mary’s Immaculate Heart.

I’ve not read anywhere about the Mass needing to be the morning Mass, so I’m thinking the vigil Mass is OK.

Talk about an answer to a prayer. Yesterday, I sent Father an email asking him the same thing. Of course I haven’t heard back yet.

I wonder what the consensus here will be.

I got an answer to my email .I asked this question because our parish’s summer schedule is mass at 6p on Saturday evenings.

My question: “Would it be cheating to do a Five First Saturdays devotion by going to Saturday evening mass during the summer schedule?”

Fr. D.'s answer:

No. Since we do not have morning masses on Saturday here, I would say that this would be perfectly OK. there is no greater devotion that celebration Holy Mass.

fr d

I head back from Fr. D he said that since the evening mass is the only one that our parish offers on Saturday it would be just fine to consider the vigil mass as a proper mass for this devotion. :thumbsup:

On December 10, 1925, Our lady appeared with the child Jesus to Lucia at the Dorothean convent in Pontevedra, Spain. Our Lord asked Lucia to have"Have Pity" on the Heart of her “Most Holy Mother”,and to offer acts of reparation. Then Our Lady said:
“Look, my daughter, at my Heart encircled with thorns, with which ungrateful men pierce it at every moment by their blasphemies and ingratitude. You, at least, try to console me, and say that I promise to assist at the hour of death with all the graces necessary for salvation all those who, on the First Saturday of five consecutive months, confess, receive Holy Communion, recite five decades of the Rosary, and keep me company for fifteen minutes meditating on the mysteries of the rosary, with the intention of making reparation to me.”
I personally attend the saturday morning mass. As the post above stated, Fr. Dave said it was sufficient to attend the vigil mass. The fifteen minutes meditating are seperate from the Rosary. You can meditate on one mystery or all of them. This can be difficult, if one is not used to medication.
According to Sr. Lucia, Five First Saturdays of Reparation were requested to atone for the five ways in which people offend the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

The above information is from the “Spiritual Guide” distributed by the World Apostolate of Fatima. www.wafusa.org

I definitely sympathize with that, I have a sleep disorder too. It was a matter of will that I got up for the 7:30am Mass on Easter Sunday.

I have known about this devotion since I was a child, and actually started it one year, but didn’t finish it.

Thank you all for the information concerning Saturday evening Mass being alright for the Five 1st Saturdays devotion.

I have not been in a parish in over 30 years that offers any other Mass on the average Saturday except the anticipated evening Mass, unless there is a funeral or wedding, so I cannot imagine why it would not “count” for the first Saturday devotion.

Note that the message says ;

It doesn’t even require attendance at mass; let alone at a specific mass.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.