$50 Billion in American Aid - Female Condoms, Not Astinence Programs

The House voted to approve H.R. 5501, which is popularly known as the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) and a similar bill (S 2731) is under consideration in the Senate.

Fifty billion over five years and all but nine billion(malaria and tuberculosis) going for HIV.

We had another thread on this but there is more from Lifesite News in this article they posted…

According to the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), the federally funded agency that distributes international aid, $457 million of its budget for FY 2008 is dedicated to family planning programs, including condom distribution.

The CHANGE briefing also marked the release of its “Saving Lives Now: Female Condoms and the Role of U.S. Foreign Aid” report. In it, the center states that the U.S. government supplied nearly 1.9 billion condoms worldwide between 2004 and 2007.

It also reports that the “the United States government plays an important role in shaping global trends in reproductive and sexual health supplies,” with America providing 42 percent of “global donor support” for family planning, including the female condom.

cnsnews.com/ViewCulture.asp?Page=/Culture/archive/200804/CUL20080424a.html

Here is a different perspective, which appeared in the April issue of First Things.

Responses to the global HIV/AIDS epidemic are often driven not by evidence but by ideology, stereotypes, and false assumptions. Referring to the hyperepidemics of Africa, an article in The Lancet this fall named “ten myths” that impede prevention efforts—including “Poverty and discrimination are the problem,” “Condoms are the answer,” and “Sexual behavior will not change.” Yet such myths are held as self-evident truths by many in the AIDS establishment. And they result in efforts that are at best ineffective and at worst harmful, while the AIDS epidemic continues to spread and exact a devastating toll in human lives.

Consider this fact: In every African country in which HIV infections have declined, this decline has been associated with a decrease in the proportion of men and women reporting more than one sex partner over the course of a year—which is exactly what fidelity programs promote. The same association with HIV decline cannot be said for condom use, coverage of HIV testing, treatment for curable sexually transmitted infections, provision of antiretroviral drugs, or any other intervention or behavior. The other behavior that has often been associated with a decline in HIV prevalence is a decrease in premarital sex among young people.

If AIDS prevention is to be based on evidence rather than ideology or bias, then fidelity and abstinence programs need to be at the center of programs for general populations. Outside Uganda, we have few good models of how to promote fidelity, since attempts to advocate deep changes in behavior have been almost entirely absent from programs supported by the major Western donors and by AIDS celebrities. Yet Christian churches—indeed, most faith communities—have a comparative advantage in promoting the needed types of behavior change, since these behaviors conform to their moral, ethical, and scriptural teachings. What the churches are inclined to do anyway turns out to be what works best in AIDS prevention.

firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=6172
(Edward C. Green is the director of the AIDS Prevention Research Project at the Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, where Allison Herling Ruark is a research fellow.)

I don’t believe that we should spend $50 Billion dollars on aid to fight aids. I believe that untill all of the problems in the home land are fixed, we shouldn’t spend billions of dollars fighting aids abroad.

This may sound like a mean thing to say but to me this money would be better spent on improving the lives of americans. I’m becomming somewhat of an an isolationist as I see billions in tax dollars going overseas. Show me evidence that this will stop the spread of aids in affrica.

Didn’t Jesus say that the two most important commandments are to love God and to love our neighbor as ourself? Turning our back on people who are dying just so we can have a higher standard of living seems wrong.

Show me evidence that this will stop the spread of aids in affrica.

That is a reasonable request. Evidence suggests that HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention efforts have been paying off.

The executive director of UNAIDS, Peter Piot, told journalists Monday that Kenya has made great strides in reducing its HIV-prevalence rate from almost 14 percent in 1997 to seven percent in 2004.

voanews.com/english/archive/2005-01/2005-01-17-voa30.cfm?CFID=289836098&CFTOKEN=80376467

The country in 2001 “hit a grim world record” when it recorded an HIV prevalence of 38.8%, the Times reports. Since then, Botswana has been a “trailblazer in its efforts to tackle the epidemic,” according to the Times. Botswana’s four-year-old antiretroviral drug distribution program “has begun to mitigate the deadly impact” of HIV/AIDS in the country, and Botswana in 2005 was one of three African nations that met World Health Organization treatment targets for the number of HIV-positive people receiving antiretrovirals, the Times reports. In addition, HIV testing has been routine in the country since 2004, and more people are undergoing HIV tests because they know treatment is available, according to the Times. In 2005, statistics from antenatal clinics showed that the nation’s HIV prevalence had decreased to 33.4%.

kaisernetwork.org/daily_reports/rep_index.cfm?hint=1&DR_ID=38067

ZIMBABWE’S HIV/Aids prevalence rate has declined from 18,1 percent to 15,6 percent over the past four years, continuing the trend that saw the figure falling from 26,5 percent in 2001 to 18,1 percent in 2003.

allafrica.com/stories/200711010001.html

when we tried to “fight communism” all over the world in the fifties and sixties, few countries listened to us because they saw the racial segregation that was going on in America.

The only thing that will truly save Africa from AIDS is widespread social change.

Why should they do it if we have not?

Don’t underestimate how other countries look at the United States.

I don’t think we should stop aid to Africa, but I do think that our first priority should be to solve problems at home.

female condoms won’t do much. AIDS is spread primarily by anal intercourse. i’ve read statistics that vaginal intercourse has a very low transmission rate–like 1/400. the p.c. police want this disease to not be considered a gay disease.

maybe they should be educated that anal intercourse is very dangerous and mostly responsible for spreading this horrible disease.

Dee Dee, I don’t mean to put you on the spot, but could you cite the study which shows that HIV, with women, is primarily spread via anal intercourse ? That vaginal intercourse has a low transmission rate, I don’t doubt. I’m not sure about the 1/400 figure, so if you want to share that source as well, please do.

Anal sex could be a major cause of the HIV/Aids epidemic in Africa, according to new research. A study published in The Journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases and Aids claims awareness of the risks posed by anal sex is ignored in many of the continent’s health campaigns.

The Myth of Heterosexual AIDS:
How A Tragedy Has Been Distorted by the Media and Partisan Politics
By Michael Fumento
"A signal contribution to our understanding of the AIDS epidemic in the United States. Fumento has marshaled the epidemiological evidence with courage, conviction, and compassion. His is a major contribution, allaying public hysteria and focusing efforts for control and care to the high-risk groups most in need." – Alexander D. Langmuir, M.D., M.P.H., Former Chief Epidemiologist, Centers for Disease Control

Anal sex could be a major cause of the HIV/Aids epidemic in Africa, according to new research.
Well, that is nice, but the article you cited disputes the claims you are trying to make, and after five years I would hope some kind of decision might have been known.

[quote= Dee Dee King{Michael Fumento
[/quote] I think it is important to distinguish betwee the strains of HIV which are common in the West and the strains which are common in Africa and elsewhere in the world. We can discuss the threat in the US, but that threat doesn’t necessarily apply to Africa or Asia where different strains of HIV are prevalent.
[/quote]

article you cited disputes the claims you are trying to make, and after five years I would hope some kind of decision might have been known.

the paper is published in the journal of Sexually Transmitted Diseases. the article is from the bbc, which is left wing–they want you to believe it’s not a homosexual disease which it clearly is. besides, show me a paper that says otherwise.

Oh, okay. I misunderstood you earlier. Sorry about that!

Yes, in the United States in 2003 approximately half of people living with HIV were infected via men having sex with men.
cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/united_states.htm

But in many parts of the world, heterosexual transmission is the primary way that people get infected with HIV.
cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5531a1.htm

haneydaw.myweb.uga.edu/twwh/aids.html

Here is some info on the spread of the disease in 3rd world countries. There is much more info - use link if interested

*Women are especially vulnerable to HIV infection for biological, economic, and social reasons. These reasons apply to most women, especially those who are poor.

Biology:
Women’s bodies are more likely to be infected by vaginal intercourse, because they have a larger exposed surface area in their vagina.5
*Semen has a higher concentration of HIV than women’s vaginal secretions, so a man is more likely to give HIV to a woman.5
Tearing and bleeding during vaginal or anal intercourse increases a woman’s chance of contracting HIV. Tearing often occurs during rape or when a woman has had her genitals mutilated.5
Some African women use drying herbs to constrict their vagina and dry vaginal secretions before sex. This tradition is designed to increase the man’s pleasure and keep him faithful. A dry vagina makes bleeding more likely, and even if a condom is used, it is likely to tear.6 *

Economic:
Women are often forced to be dependent on men, usually because they do not receive education, training, or employment opportunities. They may be dependent on a husband, partner, or multiple partners. They risk losing the men’s support by requesting to use a condom to prevent HIV.5
Economic conditions force men and women to move often to find work. This migration often splits up families, and leave women forced to find other means, such as prostitution, to support their children.6
Young girls are often forced or sold into prostitution. They may not even know of AIDS, and they are not able to run away from this risk.5
Many women are forced to trade sex for basic necessities like food, clothing and health care for them and their children. They risk loss of this income if they request their partners to use condoms.5
Even women who have entered the formal labor force are often required to serve bosses and clients sexual needs in order to keep their jobs or get promoted.6
Social:
Young girls do not receive education about their bodies, their reproductive system, or HIV/AIDS.5, 6
Men’s needs are expected to dominate in relationships, and violent sexuality is tolerated.5
Men and women are not able to communication easily about sexuality, STDs, or AIDS, because women are considered inferior.6
Women cannot get pregnant while using a condom, and pregnancy is often the only way for women to be valued.5, 6
Married men are expected to have multiple partners, but women are expected to ignore this. Women may have only a single partner, but still be at high risk for HIV because her husband has multiple partners. Many men feel accused of cheating if a woman asks to use a condom.5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.