"50 years of hormonal contraception—time to find out, what it does to our brain"

Interesting article in Frontiers In Neuroscience
“50 years of hormonal contraception—time to find out, what it does to our brain”
journal.frontiersin.org/Journal/10.3389/fnins.2014.00256/full

one look at Western society can answer that question :slight_smile: but an interesting article nonetheless.

Melinda Gates Wants to Help Women Around the World

I don’t think I understood more than a word or two. Anybody have the patience to summarize?

More studies are needed so the authors can publish reviews of them as well.

I don’t know what it is doing to our brains, but it’s in our water now and turning male creatures to female. :frowning:

I often wonder if some of the allergies, etc that kids have now a days could be linked to this.

When I was a kid, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were a daily option for kids who didn’t want the special of the day.

Today, schools can’t even have peanut anything in the school because kids can die if they just smell it.

It’s used to be unheard of… Now tons of kids have this.

Not to mention many of the other allergies, HADD, etc.

To me it is just a no brainer that regularly taking artificial hormones, especially over a long period time, will have all sorts of negative effects on the body, especially of course the reproductive system, but I would not be surprised learn of effects on the brain and other organs. It amazes me how paranoid (usually justifiably) we are about exposure to pesticides, toxins, chemicals in household products, cosmetics, food additives, etc. And then we don’t bat an eye at this stuff, trusting it’s completely benign.

My :twocents: from the abstract:

Contraceptives contain synthetic steroids, which cause changes in the structure of the brain. Few studies have been done so far about these changes. One is a change in behavior; another is an increase in both masculine and feminine characteristics. The many studies already done on natural hormones (“endogenous”) can guide the much-needed research on the effects of synthetic hormones in contraceptives. Such research is important because the effects on the brain from the synthetic hormones in contraceptives have an impact on society as a whole.

The article mentions that “the intake of steroids by an athlete is considered as abuse and “doping” by androgens is strongly sanctioned by society. [yet ] On the contrary the intake of steroids in women is recommended for birth control around the world.”

We start doping young women from puberty with these powerful steroidal contraceptives, and nobody seems to have thought about the long term effects.

Contraception has become such a god that it must be placated even at the risk of women’s lives and health.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.