500 Years of Protestantism: 38 Things Martin Luther Wrote

Here is an article I put together that itemizes some of the Martin Luther’s most ridiculous comments. If you know a Protestant, please share this with them. It’s important that we know where we come from.

Did Martin Luther really say these things?

Hey, think you can put all of that into context, or are you willing to further the divide by your openly deceptive article?

I am not sure if I would classify them as ridiculous because a number of them were rather violent and especially about the Jews, used by Hitler to justify his efforts to kill them. Luther’s comment about the peasants were in response to the peasant revolt and Luther had to take a back turn and defend the Duke who was supporting him. Luther had what would be called an “earthy” way of putting things. I think that is what made him popular in his day. I think many of his violent and earthy writings are usually over looked by many Protestants. While one could claim that maybe some of the quotes are taken out of context of the whole writing as well as one needs to understand the time of Luther which was rather violent. But there is nothing wrong with looking actually Luther did say and write and some of the things he did teach and write should be brought to light. When I learned about Luther’s violent writings about the Jews before I became Catholic helped me relook at Luther and at the time I reasoned if someone can promote violence, should I listen to him on anything else.

I can see Luther’s point on a scant few of these quotes. The peasant rebellion, etc. Actually, I kind of like the quote about letting your sins be strong. Solid thinking, really. Most of them however, I can see no real theological grounding for.

But then, I’m a recent convert to any type of Christianity at all, having come from drooling at the feet of Nietzsche for many many years. :blush:

Maybe a well-educated Lutheran can help put some of these into context. I know that even Sacred Scripture can be ripped out of context and put into a really bad light, and I am willing to argue that there is a fair bit of that going on in this article. The more ellipses and hyphens I see, the more willing I am to think something it taken out of context.

Now, I don’t doubt that Luther was schismatic and taught a good many things that the Church didn’t (and doesn’t) approve of, but I would honestly love to hear the context for a lot of these. However, I’m not grounded in any of Luther’s works - is anyone else? Living in a very divided Catholic/Protestant home, I’m always looking for ways to bridge the gap. :thumbsup:

God bless. x

:thumbsup:

I mean no offense, and this is not in defense of Martin Luther’s statements either, but if a non catholic wanted to pick through different quotes from saints, bishops, popes (Catholics)… etc they could easily find just as horrific statements, I’m certain of that.

I don’t know exactly why you posted this or what benefit it would be to anyone. Most Protestants I know do not look to Luther as some sort of spiritual guide. I think if anything, they revere him for making the split from the church which in their understanding of its history would have been necessary and for freedom’s sake.

If you lived back then, who knows, you might have found yourself siding with Luther.   It's easy to look back and say "Well, how ignorant!".   We can't say we  fully understand how it was back then because it was a different time/mindset.  In years to come perhaps our decedents will say the same thing about our statements.

Thanks for the hard work and research. I’ve bookmarked the page and will be sure to use some of these in discussions in the future. For anyone claiming the quotes are out of context, the OP provides a source for each quote, you can read the context for yourself.

Further divide? Remind me again of who divided Christendom in the first place?.. Oh yeah, Martin Luther.

And we should be welcoming them home. Now, I am Catholic, but I bet that if I dug through Summa Theologica, I could easily come up with “38 Silly Things St. Thomas Aquinas Said”

The divide is already there. There is no need for either side to point fingers, call names, or do anything else. Catholics AND Lutherans (as well as all other Christians) should listen to one another in love and all need to look for Truth.

In the first place? Christianity was well divided way before that. Among other disagreements and such, the Great Schism was around 500 years before Martin Luther.

The difference between the Great Schism and Luther is a difference in kind not degree. Protestantism is heresy. Orthodoxy is not. I would be very reluctant to conflate the two (as is the Church).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/8b/ChristianityBranches.svg/500px-ChristianityBranches.svg.png

The Eastern Churches were being schismatic way before it was cool and hip in the Reformation days. :thumbsup:

This is a perfectly accurate point, but your original quote of “who divided Christendom in the first place…” is not accurately answered by “Martin Luther.”

Go for it, I’ve probably read more of the Summa than you have (although that is still a small amount of the whole) and I’m betting you can’t find anything like this list. Aquinas wasn’t a heretic, Luther was – big difference. Secondly, we are Catholics, not Thomists. Something embarrassing written by a Catholic theologian (even one of the greats, like Thomas) isn’t the same to Catholics as Luther writing insane things is for Lutherans. Luther founded Lutheranism. Christ (not Aquinas) founded Catholicism. Maybe if you found 38 Silly Things Christ said, but He didn’t say even one.

God bless.

:popcorn:

I wonder how far he would have gotten if the people then had the access to information that we have now.

Undoubtedly, as I’ve not read any of it. I’ve only recently joined the Church, so I’m making my way through Scripture and the CCC before I tackle too much else. (Well, I’m also reading St. Augustine’s Confessions, but that’s because he reminds me of me.) I am not disputing your claims about Luther, but saying that anyone could take a large part of even the Septuagint and say, “Look! Christians believe in slavery and etc, etc…” You’ve heard it. I’ve heard it. Everyone on this forum has probably heard it.

My point isn’t that I’m trying to defend Luther. Not in the slightest. Or Calvin, if we’re going to go Rambo on the Reformation. My point is that I would like an educated, well-informed, and devout Lutheran to explain why and in what context these things were said. The same way you’d want an educated, well-informed Catholic to explain Confessions or Summa or anything else. And I think that falls on the shoulders of the Lutherans in this forum to step up. That’s all! :slight_smile:

I understand what you are saying, some could try to pick a Pope or a prolific Saint and misquote or string together what they said or wrote to make them out to be something that they really aren’t. Even if one wanted to quibble of some of the quotes, if you read them all, you do get a sense of an angry man who is haunted by demons. He did have an abusive father and he did have a problem with authority which ended in his brake with Rome. But he did write a rather violently towards the Jews and his writings along with Johann Eck were used by Hitler in coming up with his six step plan to eliminate the Jews.
Now to be fair, Lutherans have condemned what Luther wrote but he did write this stuff and as a major religious figure that is usually revered by Protestants, what he actually wrote should be discussed and not hidden away because we want to be polite. Reading and learning about Luther’s violent ideas played a major step for me in becoming Catholic because I felt that this stuff is hidden from me and from a majority of Protestants in reality. Why would I want to admire any man that promotes destruction of the Jews (or anyone else). I think most Protestants blindly admire Luther and don’t even really read the things he wrote.

Have we forgotten about Pope Pius XI and the ‘Good Friday Prayer for the Jews’ that was part of the liturgy?

Let us pray also for the faithless Jews: that Almighty God may remove the veil from their hearts; so that they too may acknowledge Jesus Christ our Lord. Almighty and eternal God, who dost not exclude from thy mercy even Jewish faithlessness: hear our prayers, which we offer for the blindness of that people; that acknowledging the light of thy Truth, which is Christ, they may be delivered from their darkness. Through the same our Lord Jesus Christ, who liveth and reigneth with thee in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.

:shrug:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.