54-day "Novena For Our Nation" starts in USA tomorrow, Aug 15 (Assumption)

My fellow Americans: Our country and the Catholic Church in the US need our prayers now. Join the 54-day “Novena for Our Nation” starting tomorrow, and pray a Rosary every day leading up to the Oct. 7 Rosary for the Coasts and Borders USA.

The 54-day Rosary Novena is a standard Catholic devotion, said to have been given by Our Lady, Queen of the Most Holy Rosary to a girl who was ill. It is in many old prayerbooks. Fr. Heilman leads a couple of 54-day Rosary Novenas each year.

The first half is 9 Joyful Mysteries rosaries, 9 Sorrowful Mysteries Rosaries, and 9 Glorious Mysteries Rosaries, said with special prayers of petition to Our Lady.
The scond half is 9 Joyful Mysteries rosaries, 9 Sorrowful Mysteries rosaries, and 9 Glorious Mysteries Rosaries, said with special prayers of thanksgiving to Our Lady for her granting our petition.
Total of 54 Rosaries.

Then please feel free to write to Father Heilman and tell him his word usage is wrong. The Novena for Our Nation has been held for several years, and I didn’t name it.

Also, each of the old prayer books in which I have read this devotion called it the “54-day Novena”. It is also all over the Internet as “54-day Novena”. Nobody bothers to call it “54-day six Novenas”.

Way to split hairs about language when the point is to pray. :roll_eyes:

Anyway, you can call it what you want, name it George if you like, but it would be good to pray it.

I’m in Bear! I had set a reminder on my phone when you (I believe) first mentioned it. Not sure why anyone cares what it is called either. That sort of misses the point and is extremely nit picky.

Well, pray the Rosary for 54 days anyway, and call it what you want to call it.

It will be good for you :slight_smile:

9 hours, 9 days, 9 consecutive Saturdays or Thursdays, 9 weeks, 9 months, 9 years. It is prayer in a multiple of 9 taken from the Latin word for 9 “novem”.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.