59% of Catholics Disapprove of Obama’s Job Performance

Catholics strongly disapprove of the job President Obama is doing as the debate continues over his administration’s new policy forcing Catholic institutions to pay for contraception they morally oppose. While the president’s overall job approval ratings have improved over the past couple of months, they have remained steady among Catholics.

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey finds that 59% of likely Catholic voters nationwide at least somewhat disapprove of the president’s job performance, while 40% at least somewhat approve. But the passion’s on the side of those who don’t like the job he’s doing: 44% Strongly Disapprove versus 19% who Strongly Approve.

The survey of 3,500 Likely Voters was conducted February 6-12, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 2 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/february_2012/59_of_catholics_disapprove_of_obama_s_job_performance

We need to raise these numbers, The Church leaders need to get their folks more involved! The Priest of the Church I go to has already stated a call for action.

Well, I disaprove, so now it is 60%. About time some Catholics woke up about Obama.

Those are really dissappointing numbers. You would think many more Catholics are upset with how EVRYTHING is being handled.

Only 59%. I wonder what the disapproval rating is among all voters, not only Catholics. Even without the HHS mandate controversy now raging, he certainly has my disapproval for many other things.

59% is probably much higher than it was… Now. Just what are the other 31% are thinking I do **not **know…:rolleyes: I just *hope *that Catholics are not going to fall the Obama shuffle of promising :rotfl: to allow the conscience clause in the future or some other such shennigans! Snennanigans like the Democrat Bill Clinton did with his ‘double speak’ of “banning the ban on Partial Birth Abortion” that fooled soooo many…

The President gets wayyyy too much funding from Planned Parenthood to back down appropriately. Or to back down period. Beware of Presidents bearing gifts methinks…

We all **know **that in the next election Obamam will speak sweet nothings into the voters ears to get elected. Just like he did at Notre Dame. However once in the Office for his 2nd and last term he will become trully dangerous.

The key point in this poll, though, is that the survey was taken mostly before the White House announced its “accommodation.” The polling took place from February 6-12, and the supposed recalculation of the rule was announced early on Friday, February 10. Rasmussen’s report doesn’t give any indication if Obama’s approval rating rose in the three days of polling after the announcement.

As The Anchoress writes today at First Things, not only has Obama alienated moderate Catholics, he’s cut the ground out from underneath the Catholic Left that influenced them:

If, upon gauging the dismay of his allies within the church, Obama had truly meant to assuage the consciences of his Catholic allies, he could have done so easily and clearly; instead his words suggested to some that even the narrow conscience clause offered in his first decision was at risk, and his solution looks like a shell game, analogous, as blogger Marc Barnes put it, to trying to force Orthodox Jewish restaurants to sell bacon, but then “accommodating” them by forcing them to “pay a Gentile with a bacon cart to serve pork” for them.

For that matter, if Obama had been genuinely interested in pleasing believers in general and Catholics in particular, he would have conferred with the bishops, and gotten their thoughts on the nuances between direct and indirect co-operation with evil, rather than going around them.
But Obama’s move on Friday wasn’t about nuance; it was about destroying the surprising unity of the “Catholic Right” and the “Catholic Left” on this issue; it was about dividing and conquering. In a deeply cynical move, Obama used Sister Carol Keehan to foment that division; he needed her credibility to reassure the Catholic Left that it could prefer unity with his administration over unity with the church.
His punch was off. Possibly he hadn’t anticipated a block to guard the possession of rights, which are not his to dole out as he sees fit. He seems not to realize, even now–as his administration muddies up the story with talk of costs and savings–that his Catholic allies’ rejection of his HHS Mandate wasn’t about contraception or sterilization, nor could their approval be regained with a skillful uppercut to the men in the miters. What the HHS Mandate has revealed is that the preservation of the freedom of religion–of the churches rights to be who and what they are and to exercise their missions–is worth going to the mat for, no matter which corner you’re coming from.

hotair.com/archives/2012/02/14/rasmussen-poll-shows-obama-job-disapproval-59-among-catholics/

I wonder just how the General Public is responding to this stuff. What are these Polls saying?

Do you mean regarding the HHS mandate? Majority oppose religious institutions being forced to violate their beliefs:

rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/questions/pt_survey_questions/February_2012/questions_contraceptive_mandate_February_6_7_2012

Thanks! I just wonder – is all this is enough, however, to get those that voted for Obama in the past to actually change their vote?

Just proves 41% of Catholics haven’t left their house since 2008.

I’m sure there are Catholics (according to the Church even if not identifible as such here) who are even more than likely, but instead certain voters, who at least somewhat disapprove but who will still be voting for him in a major 2 party system. Because they will disapprove of his opponent’s policies even more so.

Not according to the Rasmussen survey:

However, Republican hopeful Mitt Romney currently leads the president among Catholic voters by a 52% to 35% margin.

rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/february_2012/59_of_catholics_disapprove_of_obama_s_job_performance

Well, maybe they don’t one day a week. :smiley:

Regardless of religious affiliation, disapproval is higher among those who regularly attend religious services. Among those who attend services every week or nearly every week, 41% offer their approval of the president while 59% disapprove. Among those who rarely or never attend services, 63% approve and 36% disapprove.

Catholics are swing voters, they are not tied to one party or the other.

Public Divided Over Birth Control Insurance Mandate

A national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press and the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, conducted Feb. 8-12, found that 48% of Americans support an exemption while 44% say religiously-affiliated institutions should be required to cover contraceptives like other employers.

41% of Catholics say contraception morally okay; 36% say not a moral issue; 15% say morally wrong.

pewresearch.org/pubs/2195/contraceptive-coverage-religious-groups-health-benefits-obama-administration-catholics-same-sex-marriage

Our work is indeed cut out for us…

With another four years of Obama they won’t have houses.:mad:

Statistics baffle me. Is this based on Catholics who regularly attend Mass? Counting my siblings and their families that about 60% would identify themselves as catholic. Less than 20% are practicing Catholics.

Of those in my family who do identify themselves as catholic, more than half are probably going to be repeat offenders and vote for Obama in November.

I am so grateful the bishops are very vocal in their displeasure with the HHS mandate. I see this as an apologetic opportunity to clarify what being catholic is all about.

Then they may learn something. It might be good for them. Nothing like a little poverty to give you some clarity on what really matters.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.