5th Joyful Mystery

How is it that Jesus became separated from Joseph and Mary for that long? Who were the doctors? Were they taking care of Jesus, giving Him a place to sleep and food while trying to find out where His parents might be? What was Jesus talking to the doctors about? Didn't they wonder maybe if He might be the Messiah?

Joseph and Mary were on their way home from the festival and were traveling in a caravan. They assumed that Jesus was in the caravan with other people. As for the other questions, it's up for debate.

[quote="littlenothing, post:1, topic:324660"]
How is it that Jesus became separated from Joseph and Mary for that long? Who were the doctors? Were they taking care of Jesus, giving Him a place to sleep and food while trying to find out where His parents might be? What was Jesus talking to the doctors about? Didn't they wonder maybe if He might be the Messiah?

[/quote]

One of the things I love about the gospels is that they stimulate thought without satisfying curiosity -- which is one of the signs that they aren't products of pious imagination. 

This is the painting from our old family Bible -- I used to love lingering over this image:
images.google.com/imgres?q=christ+teaching+in+the+temple+painting&tbm=isch&tbnid=-I_NGY7bpaIf7M:&imgrefurl=http://sofiaschristmasideas.blogspot.com/2009_11_01_archive.html&docid=ptBG7Zk1-COAKM&imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/fwgIoiHGo70/SwTd23nt5MI/AAAAAAAAD3M/1ryOR9CwOPY/s1600/ArtBook034_034BoyJesusInTheTemple___.jpg&w=1600&h=1183&ei=L-d9UeTpL-ioigLin4CICg&zoom=1&biw=1024&bih=541&iact=rc&dur=328&page=3&tbnh=150&tbnw=224&start=36&ndsp=22&ved=1t:429,r:49,s:0,i:237&tx=75&ty=120

They might have wondered if this were a young prophet among them. It's conceivable that one of the teachers may have also known His Mother or St. Joachim, since tradition has it that she was born in Jerusalem and made her vow of virginity there. 

newadvent.org/cathen/15464b.htm
"Now, the Protoevangelium of James (7-8), and the writing entitled "De nativit. Mariae" (7-8), [43] state that Joachim and Anna, faithful to a vow they had made, presented the child Mary in the Temple when she was three years old; that the child herself mounted the Temple steps, and that she made her vow of virginity on this occasion. St. Gregory of Nyssa [44] and St. Germanus of Constantinople [45] adopt this report; it is also followed by pseudo-Gregory of Nazianzus in his "Christus patiens". [46] Moreover, the Church celebrates the Feast of the Presentation, though it does not specify at what age the child Mary was presented in the Temple, when she made her vow of virginity, and what were the special natural and supernatural gifts with which God endowed her.

Was it unusual for girls to be presented in the Temple? I've read names with pseudo before them..what in the world does that mean? They're fakes? Im not being flippant..I don't know why they are thus called.

Funny, but I was just asking myself, "what did Jesus say to the priests and scribes in the temple?" Here's my take. I think the chief priests and scribes were much like our current day college professors and politicians. They were so wrapped up in their own intellectual "cocoons" that they stopped teaching God's Word and instead taught according to their own ideologies and agendas.

I like to think that the child Jesus was simply reminding them of their scriptural roots and maybe pointing out where they have drifted with very simple and direct questions. Sometimes all it takes is a child asking "why?" to make you realize just how loony and out of touch your grand ideas really are.

[quote="littlenothing, post:1, topic:324660"]

[/quote]

Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Feast of the Passover. And when he was twelve years old, they went up according to custom. And when the feast was ended, as they were returning, the boy Jesus stayed behind in Jerusalem. His parents did not know it, but supposing him to be in the group they went a day's journey, but then they began to search for him among their relatives and acquaintances, and when they did not find him, they returned to Jerusalem, searching for him. After three days they found him in the temple, sitting among the teachers, listening to them and asking them questions. And all who heard him were amazed at his understanding and his answers. And when his parents saw him, they were astonished. And his mother said to him, “Son, why have you treated us so? Behold, your father and I have been searching for you in great distress.” And he said to them, “Why were you looking for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?” And they did not understand the saying that he spoke to them. And he went down with them and came to Nazareth and was submissive to them. And his mother treasured up all these things in her heart.

[quote="littlenothing, post:4, topic:324660"]
Was it unusual for girls to be presented in the Temple? I've read names with pseudo before them..what in the world does that mean? They're fakes? Im not being flippant..I don't know why they are thus called.

[/quote]

'Pseudo-' means that the author of a given work is claiming to be someone else. For example, a work written by someone claiming within the work to be St. Cyril of Jerusalem (but isn't really Cyril) would be considered to have been written by 'pseudo-Cyril'. Or to give another example, suppose someone else wrote something in my name: "I, Patrick, wrote this," etc. That person would be 'pseudo-Patrick'.

Pseudo Patrick...that's funny!

Thanks for that. I've always wondered.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.