6,000 years

Here I go again with my Baptist friend----------- But during a conversation she mentions the 6,000 year we are in .2,000 years before Christ , 2,000 years with Christ & 2,000 years after Christ.
She also says the end is coming ----. She even had the nerve to say if she sold her house for the money now & the end comes she wouldn’t have to sell it??? Duh is what I said! What’s this about 6,000 years??

Excuse me if I’m dense!

With any luck, the end will come the day after her money runs out.:stuck_out_tongue:

But we all know that the End will come when we least expect it. Just predicting when it will be is asking to be wrong. Just ask the JWs…

I have no idea what you’re trying to say here… but the 6000 figure is just an ordinary Christian belief that justifies the immediate creation account which I have denounced here… According to your friend, we should all be dead and gone now… We are in 6007 years into the timeline according to the traditional creation account… 2000 years before Christ… ok… 2000 years with Christ? Christ didn’t live 2000 years and even so, he is present spiritually and will never leave us… until Judgement Day atleast. So… it should be 4000 years with Christ instead of 2000, and not 2000 years with and without.

She buys int the “Young Earth” theology, which is (IMO) a load of fiction. :shrug:

I dont think people would ever hear talk like this outside the US :slight_smile:

Hey cm
Whats your belief on the origin of the earth.

Keep in mind, the church has NO problem with believe in a 6000 year old Earth…

All the Church says is that if you believe in a 12.5 billion year old Universe (as I do) or if you believe in a 6000 year old universe… As long as you understand that everything done was done by the will of God, the Church has no problem…

In Christ

I don’t neccesarily believe or even know enough about the ‘young earth’ theory, but I think that it is very hard as a Catholic to critize this theory, because we ourselves believe what other people can’t understand what we believ in. Sometimes I find it amazing at what the Faith teaches as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randb
Here I go again with my Baptist friend----------- But during a conversation she mentions the 6,000 year we are in .2,000 years before Christ , 2,000 years with Christ & 2,000 years after Christ.
She also says the end is coming ----. She even had the nerve to say if she sold her house for the money now & the end comes she wouldn’t have to sell it??? Duh is what I said! What’s this about 6,000 years??

Excuse me if I’m dense!

I dont think people would ever hear talk like this outside the US

Sadly thanks to the US evangelicals efforts at sheep stealing in another christian countries you are starting to hear that nonsense outside of the US too. Sad.

What’s really funny is that the idea of the world lasting 6,000 years is an old one (the idea is that creation constitutes a week and the millenium will be the seventh day). Irenaeus thought this too. But interestingly enough, Irenaeus’s calculations indicated that the world was created nearly 6,000 years before Christ, which meant that the end was very near.

Funny how that works–no one ever says “the world will end in 2,000 years.”

Edwin

This 6000 year theory then comes the Millenium was actually first proposed in the middle ages (though never accepted de fide) by the Roman Catholic friar Joachim de Fiore.

No, it seems to have been quite common in the early Church. The Epistle of Barnabas teaches it, and as I said above Irenaeus does as well (Against Heresies 5.28.3):

For in as many days as this world was made, in so many thousand years shall it be concluded. And for this reason the Scripture says: “Thus the heaven and the earth were finished, and all their adornment. And God brought to a conclusion upon the sixth day the works that He had made; and God rested upon the seventh day from all His works.”46954695 Gen. ii. 2. This is an account of the things formerly created, as also it is a prophecy of what is to come. For the day of the Lord is as a thousand years;46964696 2 Pet. iii. 8. and in six days created things were completed: it is evident, therefore, that they will come to an end at the sixth thousand year.

This is a thousand years before Joachim.

Edwin

God created it all. I wasn’t there, so I can’t say when it all happened, and it’s not something that makes the least difference in how I follow Our Lord and treat my fellow man so I lose about -]0/-] (zero) sleep about it and spend my time spreading the Gospel. :whistle:

Generally, if you add up the years from Adam to Jesus it would be about 4000 years. Then from Jesus to present is roughly 2000 years. Add them together and you get 6000yrs. This is the young earth theory. From creation to present is roughly 6000yrs.

Right up til you see that verse in the Bible that says that a day and a thousand years are the same to God. (2nd Peter 3:8)

We have an exact geneology from Adam to Jesus. Lk3:23-38
We also have many of the ages that people lived to.
Such as Adam 930yrs, Enosh 905yrs. Gen5
You could do a time line from Adam and come up with about 4000yrs to Jesus by using the geneologies.
Gen 1:5 Says the first day consisted of evening and morning
The same in Gen1:8, 1:13,1:19, etc

I am just a little bit curious.

How did they determine how long a day was back then?

How did they determine what morning was, and what evening was?

Did they have watches back then?

Did they measure the movement of the sun and the moon in the sky?

Oh yeah, and which day was the sun and the moon created on?

Do you think they were trying to give a scientific explaination of creation in the book of Genesis, or do you think that maybe they were trying to show that the one true God did create everthing, and give an explaination of why this one true God did create everthing?

Genesis 1:5 (New King James Version)
. So the evening and the morning were the first day.
Genesis 1:8-31 (New King James Version)

1. So the evening and the morning were the second day.
    911 Then God said,"]“Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree [/C[/COLOR]OLOR]that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so. 12 And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 13 So the evening and the morning were the third day. 14 Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years; 15 and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so. 16Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser ]light to rule the night. He made the stars also. 17 God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth, 18 and to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 So the evening and the morning were the fourth day. 20 Then God said, “Let the waters abound with an abundance of living creatures, and let birds fly above the earth across the face of the firmament of the heavens.” 21 So God created great sea creatures and every living thing that moves, with which the waters abounded, according to their kind, and every winged bird according to its kind. And God saw that it was good. 22 And God blessed them, saying, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let birds multiply on the earth.” 23 So the evening and the morning were the fifth day. 24 . So the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

As you can see all the days were equal. Consisting of morning and evening.
Also note that plants were created on the third day an sun was created on the fourth day. How could the plants have survived a millenia without sun if the days were thousands of years?

YEC do not takes in account that Genesis might be a bit like Revelations. A prophetic book designed to be taken in a symbolic way. There is no way for someone to write with accuracy of subjets long ago in the past that no one could have witnessed. Not even Moses. And God when talks in visions is highly symbolic.

A symbolic way? How does God talk? All scripture is inspired by God. (II Timothy 3:16) God spoke directly to Moses as he led the Israelites through the wilderness. God is the eyewitness to creation.

God bless,
Ed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.