6.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico's Gulf of California

"6.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Mexico’s Gulf of California

MEXICO CITY — A powerful earthquake Monday shook fishing villages along Mexico’s Gulf of California and prompted alarm as far away as Phoenix, but there were no immediate reports of injuries or damage.

The U.S. National Earthquake Information Center said the 6.9-magnitude quake struck at 12:59 p.m. (1:59 EDT, 17:59 GMT) and was centered 76 miles north-northeast of Santa Isabel in Baja California and 331 miles southeast of the border city of Tijuana."…

Entire article here: foxnews.com/story/0,2933,536313,00.html

Another article.

"Strong earthquake hits off northwest Mexico

TIJUANA, Mexico, Aug 3 (Reuters) - A strong 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck off Baja California in northwestern Mexico on Monday, shaking buildings as far away as San Diego, California, and raising fears of a small tsunami."…

Entire ariticle here: alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N03528903.htm

aren’t they saying now that it was actually 4 earthquakes that hit within minutes of one another? i live in arizona, but didn’t talk with anyone from phoenix today to see if they felt anything. i live further north. i didn’t find out about the earthquakes until this evening.
life on planet earth is always very interesting isn’t it?

I hadn’t heard that. Wow! We had a couple of earthquakes here in Missouri a little over a year ago, which were pretty noteworthy since we don’t feel many here, though our Big One is coming someday, I’m sure. I guess in California and the surrounding area, tremors and quakes are fairly common, but this(these) recent one(s) seemed bigger than usual to me, though I admit I don’t really know exactly how common and what magnitude quakes are in the region. Here they are rare, though the New Madrid fault puts us at risk for the Big One, which will come eventually.

As you said, life on Earth is always very interesting.

i just googled recent earthquakes and mexico and found the information. i like to go to the government earthquake websites.
yes, i have heard of the new madrid fault and that is something to watch. they have had several fatal earthquakes in northern mexico.
i grew up in kansas and i don’t know if kansas would ever be effected by a new madrid earthquake or not.

A major earthquake from the New Madrid fault would likely be felt in Kansas. Below is an excerpt from the following link: scchealth.org/docs/ems/docs/prepare/newMadrid.html

“A MAJOR EARTHQUAKE in this AREA, 7.5 or greater, happens every 200- 300 years (the last one in 1812). There is a 25% chance by 2040. A New Madrid Fault rupture this size would be felt throughout half the United States and damage 20 states or more. Missouri alone could anticipate losses of at least $6 billion from such an event.”

There were 4 relatively “biggies”:

earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.html

MAP 6.2 2009/08/03 18:40:51 29.371 -113.703 10.0 **GULF OF CALIFORNIA **
MAP 5.0 2009/08/03 18:33:34 28.931 -113.022 10.0 **GULF OF CALIFORNIA **

MAP 6.9 2009/08/03 17:59:57 29.066 -112.871 10.0 **GULF OF CALIFORNIA **
MAP 5.8 2009/08/03 17:55:24 28.976 -112.988 10.3 **GULF OF CALIFORNIA **

That sounds pretty scary. No injuries or fatalities were initially reported, so I hope that was the final outcome and that everyone is fine.

today we visited a museum of natural history and there were displays showing how planet earth has changed in the last 250 millions years and how the continents were once hooked together. evidently, they began splitting apart because of earthquakes. and i am not sure if that is how baja california was formed - it split from the rest of mexico during an earthquake? does anyone know.
anyhow, i always worry that something like this could be a precursor to something bigger.

i know the last time there was a new madrid earthquake, the population was small.
however, if it is true that 20 states would receive damage, that is something i hopes happens later rather than sooner.

thanks for posting those statistics.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.