6 lessons from legal pot in Washington and Colorado

sfchronicle.com/crime/article/6-lessons-from-legal-pot-in-Washington-and-9487445.php?t=ad9278cc0b

I don’t even have to read the article. You can just smell pot on the streets in certain neighborhoods - in the city parks, homeless kids camping. We also have a problem with stoned drivers - accidents have soared. The cops, schools, etc., hate the law but are helpless to do anything because the state needs the revenue and our governor and legislature are all about being progressive - in essence, that is the core, overriding mission. Statewide legalization of pot in 2012 was part of the Obama wave election in WA state - euthanasia and gay marriage completed the trinity. My guess is we’ll overturn legal pot by popular vote, but not before there is a lot more harm in social terms - aprrox 5 years more, maybe a little less. Enlightened secular liberals are pretty stubborn (think Puritans :)). They do NOT take kindly to being told they were wrong about something. It will take a few years more destruction/damage to get them to that point.

If you had read the article you would know that support for legal pot has been growing in both states since legalization. WA voters are not going to overturn it.

Whoops.

Roughly 10 percent of Washington state drivers involved in fatal car crashes between 2010 and 2014 tested positive for recent marijuana use**, with the percentage of drivers who had used pot within hours of a crash doubling between 2013 and 2014, according to a new study by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety.**
washingtontimes.com/news/2016/may/10/marijuana-related-fatal-car-accidents-surge-washin/

Statement from State School Superintendent Randy Dorn on Marijuana
The passage of I-502 changes nothing in public schools in Washington State. Certain drugs, including marijuana, continue to be illegal on school property and to anyone younger than 21 years old. To receive federal funds, districts must abide by the Safe and Drug Free Schools and Communities Act and must have a Drug and Tobacco Free Workplace and a similar student policy in place. Each district’s policy has a number of common requirements about marijuana and other drugs, such as not allowing any student to:
• possess,
• distribute,
• manufacture or
• be under the influence.

Any student caught will be disciplined according to local district policy and local law enforcement as required. Fines can also be doubled if the arrest occurs within 1,000 feet of a school facility.
seattleschools.org/UserFiles/Servers/Server_543/File/Migration/Departments/Safety%20and%20Security/Disipline/Statement%20from%20State%20School%20Superintendent%20Randy%20Dorn%20on%20Marijuana.pdf

sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/05/160510103131.htm

California is next. Legalizing pot is on the ballot next month and the dopers can’t wait. Pretty soon the whole Western seaboard of the US will be like the Netherlands. Sad. :o

We have already voted on this in the past, but once again it is on the ballot being pushed by outside sources that want to make money. Nevada used to be pretty conservative except for Las Vegas, but an influx from Calif., Wash., and Oregon are changing the dynamics and I am afraid this time they will succeed. Money talks.:mad:

The statistics are just those that got their attention,
they don’t know whether fender benders and traffic
light infractions are b/c of people under the influence
of pot.
Anyway, it is an EXPENSIVE habit as indicated, some
180 million dollars in **tax revenue ** in Washington state
alone!!

Yes, it is all about revenue. I was raised to think that people (usually Republicans) who put money before the common good were, to put it bluntly (yet accurate historically): “capitalistic pigs.” Public enemy number one. All that has changed now. Look at corporate support for Clinton vs. Trump; she has an astounding advantage. I am not excusing the Wall Street excesses of the right throughout the history of this country by any means, but I find the fact that Wall Street and big business are now commonly on the left very bizarre. Not a squeak from anyone, except Sanders I guess. What does the majority of the country have to show for it I might ask. Nothing.

A few years ago, there was an initiative on the ballot to steeply tax pot, with the tax money to go to schools. At first glance, I almost voted yes. If it’s going to be legal, why not funnel the money to schools? And then I realized how that was a very bad idea. Once the money starts going to the school system, I don’t see it being undone. I was surprised at how overwhelmingly the initiative passed.

Wow! Talk about a biased article! :eek: :mad:

I love the way the author starts out talking about how much money the states are raking in. Gee, $150 million. That’s a lot, right?

Nope. That’s nothing.

Legalized marijuana was touted as a great way to help the schools. Get high and help the kids at the same time. Sounded great.

But my teeny tiny little school district has a budget of some $80 million a year.

The largest districts have budgets of half a billion dollars.

And there are some 130+ (?) school districts in this state! Sure a little extra money for schools is a good thing, but at what cost?! :banghead:

And I noticed in all the “facts and figures” there was no mention of the increase in hospital visits because of overdoses when consuming pot edibles. One man murdered his wife after consuming. And the number of children who have eaten their parents’ marijuana-laced candies and brownies and cookies is disgusting and horrifying and infuriating!

Clearly this author is trying to say that nothing bad has happened that can be definitively linked to legalization. But he is absolutely not telling the whole story. Doing that would endanger his agenda of getting people to vote for this in CA.

And no, there is no real effort to repeal the law. Let’s face it, the marijuana industry has deep pockets to defend their now-constitutionally-protected right to grow and sell the stuff. There simply isn’t a group with enough cash or influence to repeal this. We’re stuck.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

One of my neighbors read in her Korean community newspaper that they found over 3,500 needles along a short stretch of Cherry Creek near downtown. Saying there’s no relationship between pot and harder drugs is silly.

If you had read some others sources besides this one extremely biased article, you would know that support has NOT grown. Residents are frustrated and angered by the negative fallout of this decision, and the lack of sweeping educational benefits that were promised.

The number of students who have brought pot to school has gone way up. We had one fourth grader who was expelled for bringing his mom’s stash to school.

Do a little research with keywords like “pot,” “ER visits,” “children,” “schools,” “edibles.”

Ban beer and liquor. Criminalize all alcohol consumption.

That was no surprise to the people who travel that area. That bike/walking path is a beautiful area that has been overrun by people consuming all manner of drugs in public, poor souls.

And on several occasions I have seen people using their bongs while driving. :eek: :banghead:

As I recall, that was tried once, and not only was a miserable failure, but left a criminal infrastructure in place that haunts us to this day.

It’s also on the Massachusetts ballot. Haven’t seen any polls on the issue, but as the state that pioneered “gay marriage” and gave the country Barney Frank, I don’t have much doubt as to how it will go.

The criminal infrastructure that exists today due to the criminalization of marijuana is far more prevalent, and far more destructive.

We do seem to be doing in a new direction with drug use - to a certain extent. Hopefully the growing experiment with making pot legal in different states will workout for the best or maybe better said more positives than negatives.

I had to laugh, when pot began legal in Colorado, when my straight laced parents were in the state they purchased some legal pot. I think they ate it in brownies if I remember correctly, which made them nauseous. They felt it’s positive effects were overblown.

Personally I think the big racket is with prescription drugs. There are problems with everything from addictive drugs to even pretty much useless “health drugs”. The prescriptions make a good many people enormously wealthy in the private sector, and raise funds for government. I saw the Attorney General made a comment along these lines recently ~

US Attorney General Finally Admits Weed Isn’t A Gateway Drug… But Prescription Pills Are

zerohedge.com/news/2016-10-02/us-attorney-general-finally-admits-weed-isnt-gateway-drug-prescription-pills-are

On health drugs, statins heart medication are one of the leading drugs prescribed. Statins have not been found to extend life or improve life though for most that take them. They frequent create deliberating side effects for takers. A study article on that can be read further here:

Statins do not help you live longer – or do anything much else for that matter

drmalcolmkendrick.org/2013/09/27/statins-do-not-help-you-live-longer-or-do-anything-much-else-for-that-matter/

excerpt:

Sometimes you read a thing quickly, and then you have to read it again to make sure you read it right. Yesterday I was sent a copy of a ‘Patient page’ from the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA). The page was from the April 3rd 2013 edition, pp 1419. It is stamped ‘JAMA – copy for your patients’. JAMA is one of the highest impact medical journals in the world.

This patient page states that:

‘One question involves disagreement about whether the statin side effects are merely uncomfortable or actually pose significant health risks. The other question is whether reducing bad cholesterol will actually help you live longer than you otherwise would. Some of this disagreement involves how physicians interpret the results of studies. However, a 2010 analysis combined the results of 11 studies and found that taking statins did not lower the death rate for people who did not have heart disease. If your physician recommends taking a statin, talk to him or her about the risks and benefits for your individual situation.’

For many years I have been ridiculed by colleagues for saying that, if you do not already have established heart disease, statins do not increase your life expectancy. By which I mean that they don’t’ actually work. ‘Don’t be ridiculous.’ Is what they exclaim to me. I usually reply that the evidence is pretty clear, and always has been. But I know that they don’t believe me.

Recently, without warning, one of the most influential medical journals in the world turned round and confirmed it. JAMA has stated in black and white that if you do not have established heart disease e.g. angina, previous heart attack, you will not live any longer if you take a statin…

I’m well aware of the loud objections from some. Their objections didn’t affect my vote before and in the unlikely event some sort of repeal gets on the ballot it won’t affect it then.

The “extremely biased article” didn’t invent polling numbers, it cited them. Those numbers agree with numerous other polls. Support for legalization has grown.

I think legalization of pot is on the ballot in Arizona this November also.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.