60 Minutes Benghazi

The following script is from “Benghazi” which aired on Oct. 27, 2013. The correspondent is Lara Logan. Max McClellan, producer.

When Chris Stevens was killed in Benghazi, Libya, on the anniversary of September 11th last year, it was only the sixth time that the United States had lost an ambassador to its enemies. The events of that night have been overshadowed by misinformation, confusion and intense partisanship. But for those who lived through it, there’s nothing confusing about what happened, and they share a sense of profound frustration because they say they saw it coming.
Tonight, you will hear for the first time from a security officer who witnessed the attack. He calls himself, Morgan Jones, a pseudonym he’s using for his own safety. A former British soldier, he’s been helping to keep U.S. diplomats and military leaders safe for the last decade. On a night he describes as sheer hell, Morgan Jones snuck into a Benghazi hospital that was under the control of al Qaeda terrorists, desperate to find out if one of his close friends from the U.S. Special Mission was the American he’d been told was there.

read more
cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-57609479/60-minutes-benghazi/

Obama released the following statement on the anniversary of hurricane Sandy (Oct 29):
That’s who we are as Americans – we take care of our own. We leave nobody behind. And as long as our fellow Americans continue to travel the long and sometimes difficult road to recovery, their country will stay with them every step of the way
But the Navy SEAL who painted the target in Benghazi, assuming support would arrive, was one of 4 who was left behind.

Lies: Obamacare, Fast & Furious, IRS, Benghazi, Shovel Ready Jobs.

Saw it when it aired. It was compelling stuff.

I watched this episode. The horror of them asking for help and being told none would be coming. Even a year later you can see shock on the man’s face. Why have there been no answers? Why was the public lied to by saying it was spontaneous? Why were they such bumbling idiots that they ignored the warnings. They were told that that there were three targets. The English, the Red Cross and Us. They hit two and they didn’t protect our embassy or pull out? A year and no answers.

There was no political fallout at the time for Obama over this. Clinton is leading the polls for the next Democratic leader.

It is hard not to conclude that the American left is for the most part indifferent to what happened to the Benghazi dead.

Wow…good report. I am glad they didn’t try to sugarcoat. That said, if this were a Republican administration, there would have been pictures of the administration (Clinton, Obama), while pointing out that the requests fell on deaf ears.

At least they didn’t try to cover for them.

Amazing, isn’t it? Denial isn’t a river in Egypt.

Green Beret Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Andy Wood, was one of the top American security officials in Libya. Based in Tripoli, he met with Amb. Stevens every day.

The last time he went to Benghazi was in June, just three months before the attack. While he was there, al Qaeda tried to assassinate the British ambassador. Wood says, to him, it came as no surprise because al Qaeda – using a familiar tactic – had stated their intent in an online posting, saying they would attack the Red Cross, the British and then the Americans in Benghazi.

Lara Logan: And you watched as they–

Andy Wood: As they did each one of those.

Lara Logan: --**attacked the Red Cross and the British mission. And the only ones left–
Andy Wood: Were us. They made good on two out of the three promises. It was a matter of time till they captured the third one.

Lara Logan: And Washington was aware of that?
Andy Wood: T
hey knew we monitored it. We included that in our reports to both State Department and DOD.**

Andy Wood told us he raised his concerns directly with Amb. Stevens three months before the U.S. compound was overrun.

Andy Wood: I made it known in a country team meeting, “You are gonna get attacked. You are gonna get attacked in Benghazi. It’s gonna happen. You need to change your security profile.”

This was the part I found the most compelling.

What I find more incredible is even after so many Catholics were willing to give him a pass…even nuns.:shrug:

The problem is that this happened during the presidential campaigns. That meant that half the country didn’t want to talk or hear about it, and the other half inevitably looked like they were trying to capitalize on a tragedy whenever they brought it up.

Like when all but 2 Dem’s of the House Oversight & Gov’t Reform Committee walked out before parents of 2 of the victims killed in the Benghazi attacks testified?

Asking who directed the military support teams to stand down is capitalizing on a tragedy?

We have some of the answers. The Obama administration left our people hanging because they wanted Americans to think they had things under control after the death of Bin Laden. It was all political.
What got me was after Ambassador Stevens’ death, Hilary came out and said he was her friend…her friend was left to die by an administration she supported.

Yep. It was all about a YouTube video no one watched. :shrug:

To quote a Democrat popular among CAF liberals:

“What does it matter?”

If the GOP doesn’t make ads based on this then they do not deserve to win. (if Hillary is the nominee).

Ishii

Yep. 60 Minutes didn’t give her the cover she would have liked. She won’t make it out of the primaries. I predict that the Democrat nominees will want to distance themselves from Benghazi and Obamacare.

I will be interested to see who the Democrat nominee will be.

Some low information Americans who get their news only from 60 minutes just learned that Benghazi is not an exotic knock off of the liniment Ben-GAY!

My distrust of the MSM when it comes to carrying the water for this regime is such that I suspect that bringing UP Benghazi now - is probably a way to give cover to the President by taking people’s minds off their large new bill and insurance cancellations and inserting an optional water cooler with less bite.

This is part of it. Plus they are trying to get ahead of the story, so that it can be “old news” by the time 2016 rolls around.

I don’t think the 60 Minutes story will be “old news” during the election. It will be used to discredit Hillary Clinton as a viable candidate. If history serves as any guide, the Republicans won’t even be the ones to do it - the Democrats will in the primaries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.