60 Minutes tonight: Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew

His All Holiness Bartholomew Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople speaks pointedly, and with great courage, to the tragedy of life for Orthodox Christians and the Patriarchate in current day Turkey. Thanks needs to go to CBS for providing this prime time program.

The program is now archived here.

(View also the three short Extras: "Pilgrimage", "Cappadocia" and "The Footsteps of Christ" from the menu on the right.)

The Nov 2, 2009 Charlie Rose did with His All Holiness is archived here
url=http://www.charlierose.com/

Click on "Recent Shows" and scroll down to Nov 2, or type Bartholomew in the Search box above that menu area.

Yes, it was very interesting and informative!

The TV show made a couple of mistakes.

"Ecumenical" does not mean "universal". It was mistranlating this into Latin that caused a disagreement between Pope St. Gregory the Great and Patriarch St. John the Faster of Constantinople. Both were basically pulled out of their monasteries for their high posts, btw.

"Ecumenical" is from the Greek word "oikoumene" or "Empire," and originally meant no more than "imperial". The Ecumenical physician was the surgeon general. The Ecumenical librarian was the custodian of the emperor's books. An Ecumenical Council was called from all parts of the Empire by the Emperor, as opposed to a local council.

And the Ecumenical Patriarch was the bishop of the imperial capital--New Rome or Constantinople.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:3, topic:180446"]

[/quote]

I'd say that's pretty good.. :) Most mainstream press stories about the Catholic Church are full of inaccuracies. I thought all in all they really covered a lot of material very effectively. I hope you'd agree that the main point, the message His All Holiness wanted heard, did get out loud and clear.

My sister who is not a believer called to tell me about it. She was very taken with the story.

I told my uncle who is a baptist about this story and that the premise of the segment was how alot of Christians dont realize that Christianity began to take off in Turkey. He responded by with skepticism asking me who controls 60 Minutes? It was the Jews of course.

Ancient Faith Radio on Dec 29, 2009 “Shepherd of Souls” Fr. Peter interviews Fr. Hans Jacobse, President of the American Orthodox Institute, about the role of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Eastern Orthodox Christianity.

They use the 60 Minutes interview as their jumping off point for a larger discussion.

[quote="bpbasilphx, post:3, topic:180446"]

"Ecumenical" does not mean "universal". It was mistranlating this into Latin that caused a disagreement between Pope St. Gregory the Great and Patriarch St. John the Faster of Constantinople. Both were basically pulled out of their monasteries for their high posts, btw.

"Ecumenical" is from the Greek word "oikoumene" or "Empire," and originally meant no more than "imperial". The Ecumenical physician was the surgeon general. The Ecumenical librarian was the custodian of the emperor's books. An Ecumenical Council was called from all parts of the Empire by the Emperor, as opposed to a local council.

And the Ecumenical Patriarch was the bishop of the imperial capital--New Rome or Constantinople.

[/quote]

Ancient Faith Radio on Dec 29, 2009 "Shepherd of Souls" Fr. Peter interviews Fr. Hans Jacobse, President of the American Orthodox Institute, about the role of the Ecumenical Patriarchate in Eastern Orthodox Christianity.

They use the 60 Minutes interview as their jumping off point for a larger discussion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.