60 seconds Adoration and Benediction in the middle of Mass

I have never seen this before at a Mass. After the Communion Rite, the ciboria are placed in the Tabernacle. The priest sits down. I expect that the introduction to the closing prayer is coming. But no, he goes to the Tabernacle, retrieves the Lunette containing the host, retrieves the Monstrance, places the Lunette upon the Altar, incenses the Body of Our Lord, while the usual hymn is sung, then the usual prayers are said, then he blesses everyone with the Monstrance, and then the usual hymn is sung (but abbreviated), he places the :Lunette back in the Tabernacle, and Monstrance to the side, and the the Mass resumes with the closing prayer. There is no Adoration continuing after this Mass.

Is this correct, and if so, what its liturgical function? Have we not just received the Body and Blood of Our Lord? Some people are even asking “Why not do this at every Mass?”

Bizarre, but I don’t think it’s an abuse per se…

What country was this?

Nothing wrong with adoring the Lord in the Eucharist Monstrance briefly before the final blessing. (Although in Latin mass this is done after the final blessing).

I’ve seen priests do various things in the time just after Communion and before the Final Blessing. In the US, this is a time when announcements may be made to the congregation. I have seen the time used for announcements; I have seen the time used to allow a relative of the deceased to get up and give a short eulogy at a funeral; I have seen the time used to say a shortened form of the “Leonine Prayers”; and therefore I would not be surprised to see the time used to do something like what you said.

If it’s okay to use this time to have somebody get up and make a speech about the parish golf outing, I don’t see a problem with using the time to further adore Our Lord.

It’s the U.S. No, pre-Vatican II (i.e. the EF), the Monstrance was not used in the Mass, either Low or High.

Let me explain why I think this doesn’t make sense to me. Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament is, I believe, meant as a accommodation for the faithful to worship Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament outside of Mass. But here it is in the middle of Mass - mere moments after we have consumed the Body and Blood of Our Lord.

In my church the priest leads us in the anima Christi prayer after communion and before the blessing.

This is the normal time to say the Anima Christi prayer. It’s indulgenced if said after Communion. I memorized it so I can say it myself right after Communion.

We have something similar during the Body and Blood of Christ Solemnity? with adoration and sacramental blessing instead of the “usual blessing”. Announcements were on paper that Sunday if I remember correctly.

Yes, this and the Prayer Before the Crucifix.

[quote=“pat, post:6, topic:501878, full:true”]. But here it is in the middle of Mass - mere moments after we have consumed the Body and Blood of Our Lord.
[/quote]

I agree with you @pat .

After Communion we have become tabernacles , and the focus should be on the Eucharist within us .

I have never seen a priest do what yours did , and I have been a Catholic for many years .

I’ve seen it before. It’s a fairly widespread- and beautiful- tradition, where I’m based.

Can. 941 §1. In churches or oratories where it is permitted to reserve the Most Holy Eucharist, there can be expositions with the pyx or the monstrance; the norms prescribed in the liturgical books are to be observed.

§2. Exposition of the Most Blessed Sacrament is not to be held in the same area of the church or oratory during the celebration of Mass.

This seems to be the relevant norm

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.