61 year old man kills 'gang banger' to save others

Interesting news interview. A man is at an AA meeting. A gang banger walks in and tries to hold up everyone at the meeting. It is not often that the media prints these stories, it is even less often that they interview the intended victim turned hero. There is much more to the story, but here are a few snippets.

[INDENT]"I Felt I Had Two Choices: Get Robbed and Killed, Or Do What I Did"
Posted By: Tony Santaella Date last updated: 4/16/2009 8:08:49 PM
wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=72671&catid=2

Columbia (WLTX) - The man who Columbia police say killed a man who tried to rob an Alcoholics Anoymous meeting says he just reacted when he made the decision to fire the deadly shots.

Saturday night, Columbia Police say 18-year-old Kayson Helms walked into the AA meeting at 2015 College Street, the Acoa Club, at 11 p.m. Officers say he was armed with a gun and demanded whatever those at the center had.

Jim told News19, “I felt I had two choices: get robbed and killed, maybe, or do what I did.”

He said he decided to defend himself and his fellow AA members.
[INDENT]“I was concerned, [number] one, for my life and safety, and [number] two, their lives and safety, or maybe it was [number] one their lives and safety and [number] two mine,” Jim said. "I don’t know, there isn’t time to prioritize."
Officers say Jim, who has a concealed weapons permit, pulled out a weapon and shot Helms.

“He was only about three feet clear of the other people and the only thing I could think is, ‘I gotta stop him’, and I pulled my weapon out and I fired three times,” he said.
The 61-year-old lawyer has had his concealed weapons permit since 1983. …[/INDENT][/INDENT]
By the way, here is a link to the webpage of the ‘child’ who was gunned down by this 61 year old madman . . . oh wait, I mean here is the web page of the criminal thug >>> myspace.com/973bones Notice his occupation?

Funny coincidence: girl I go to school with waitrsses in the same area as the AA meeting; the AA participants come into her restaurant every Friday night after the meeting. Small world, huh?

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.

Seriously, it’s sad that someone so young died doing something so stupid, but it would have been far worse had any innocent people died or been harmed–especially when they’re trying to get their lives straightened out.

But this does go to show that Edmund Burke was right–“All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.” Jim is a good man who did something–and who can say how many are now alive because of it?

I guess that’s one more reason to “diss rap.” XD
Honestly, I really don’t wanna judge this dude but I can’t help see the connection between what he just did and his lifestyle. :nope:

It’s even more awkward seeing all the comments he’s been getting lately. >.>;;

How sad! This is truly a waste of a beautiful life.

So many have fallen for the lies of Satan, for the lies of so many in our society who promote violence and hatred of others as being justified, being hip, being tough, being a “gangsta”…

When i was in prison i saw so many of these poor young men who bought into the lies and sold their souls to the devil because no one was brave enough to witness to them and share the love of Jesus Christ with them!

Pray for them and pray that we will have the courage to reach out to these lost souls and tell them that Jesus loves them, that they are truly special and that they can live a good, meaningful life.

I was chosen to shine the light, to show the way to our Lord Jesus Christ!” (Danielle Rose daniellerose.com/pages/1/index.htm Please listen to the beautiful and inspiring music of this gifted young woman who is now in the convent serving Jesus totally!)

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.