66% Celebrate Christmas As A Religious Holiday

Sixty-six percent (66%) of Americans celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday. A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey found that another 20% celebrate the event as a secular holiday.

Of those who celebrate Christmas, 81% believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God sent to earth to die for our sins and 72% say Jesus was born to a virgin.

Among all Americans, whether they celebrate Christmas or not, 82% say the person known to history as Jesus Christ actually walked the earth 2,000 years ago. Only three percent (3%) say he did not and 15% aren’t sure.

Christians believe Christmas is one of the most important days of the year because it celebrates the birth of Jesus Christ, and those who celebrate Christmas overwhelmingly agree with the central tenets of the Christian faith associated with the holiday.

Read more: thewestsidestory.net/article/News/News_to_Use/66_Celebrate_Christmas_As_A_Religious_Holiday/19144

It seems strange to me that there are people who would say that they believe Jesus is the son of God, but celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. Is my math off?

66% religious + 20% secular = 86% total recognition in the U.S.
66 / 86 = 77% of the people who celebrate Christmas celebrate it as a religious holiday
81% of those who celebrate Christmas believe Jesus is the son of God

What's up with the 4%?

Note: I recognize that Christmas has become progressively more secular and commercial in general, and that there are probably a few of you on these forums who would consider what a lot of that 77% calls religious celebration as being a bit deluded. I'm not concerned with what does or doesn't truly constitute religious observance versus secular, but more with what might lead somebody to profess their belief that Jesus is the son of God, but not consider their celebration of Christmas to be religious.

[quote="logic_oriented, post:2, topic:180052"]
It seems strange to me that there are people who would say that they believe Jesus is the son of God, but celebrate Christmas as a secular holiday. Is my math off?

66% religious + 20% secular = 86% total recognition in the U.S.
66 / 86 = 77% of the people who celebrate Christmas celebrate it as a religious holiday
81% of those who celebrate Christmas believe Jesus is the son of God

What's up with the 4%?

Note: I recognize that Christmas has become progressively more secular and commercial in general, and that there are probably a few of you on these forums who would consider what a lot of that 77% calls religious celebration as being a bit deluded. I'm not concerned with what does or doesn't truly constitute religious observance versus secular, but more with what might lead somebody to profess their belief that Jesus is the son of God, but not consider their celebration of Christmas to be religious.

[/quote]

There are plenty of people who call themselves Christian but do not go to church on Christmas, which is probably what constitutes a "religious celebration" of the holiday in their mind.

You have to recall that there are a lot of "professing Christians" who are really Christian-in-name-only, i.e. they're Christian because they were brought up Christian, they don't really think about it much, have a vague belief in god and treating people nicely, but don't really go in for all the mumbo jumbo.

[quote="logic_oriented, post:2, topic:180052"]
but more with what might lead somebody to profess their belief that Jesus is the son of God, but not consider their celebration of Christmas to be religious.

[/quote]

Maybe its because. They believe in Jesus being the son of God. Yet they might feel That the way they celibrate Christmas, might not be as religious based as they would like. .But what do i know? I seem to lack the psychic abilities of Antitheist. Who seems to know excatly the why's and what for's that people do things.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.