666? And the system?

You’re free to believe whatever you will.

Clearly, That and other passages concerning the oncoming END - bracket wide periods of time.

_

I have no doubt that there are other passages that do refer to the second coming. And I realize that you and I are not going to agree on the meaning of these passages, but the evidence and the context, especially in chapter 24, do not point to a still unknown future generation. For me that interpretation does not seem logical.

Nevertheless, I still enjoy talking eschatology. :wink:

AS you’re completely free to believe .

there was a massacre of the Jews by the Romans, however the Christians , who had been forewarned fled to Petra and not one Christian perished.,
Catholic teaching is that this prophecy will be fulfilled a second timefor Jerusalem, but, not necessarily , in the same way .
There are almost 400 thousand (mainly Ashkenazi Jews ) Israelis in Judea (the West Bank ) My knowledge of the situation there is sketchy but some Christian commentators say that as prophecy is being fulfilled in Israel they could be at great risk unless they get out in time.

From my understanding the second coming is referenced in other passages and I don’t dispute that.

I’m speaking primarily of the prophecy written in Matthew 24 and again referenced in Luke 21. The desolating sacrilege isn’t mentioned in Matthew but Luke tells us what it is.

“But when you see Jerusalem surrounded by armies, then know that its desolation has come near. Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, and let those who are inside the city depart, and let not those who are out in the country enter it;
Luke 21:20-21

It’s a sacrilege because of what Jerusalem represented back then The Temple was the dwelling place of God. That is no longer the case and the views that a third temple will be built and become the sole dwelling place of God, as it was back then, is not consistent with Scripture or Church teaching. The Church is the new Jerusalem, the physical location of Jerusalem no longer has any relevance with regards to this prophecy.

In my DR Bible the footnotes state : - in 1 Mach 1:57 an application of the prophecy is found in the setting up of a statue of Jupiter in the temple. The prophecy will be fulilled a second time for Jerusalem, but not necessarily in the same way.

This prophecy of the abomination of desolation refers also back to Daniel 9,27 11,31 12,11
You may remember our Lady’s messages given to Fr. Stefano Gobbi. These messages had the imprimatur from Bishop Donald W Montrose DD of California Bernardino Cardinal Echeverria Ruiz OFM of Ecuador — " The Sacrifice of the Mass renews that which was accomplished by Jesus on Calvary. By accepting the protestant doctrine, people will hold that the Mass is not a Sacrifice, but only a sacred meal, that is to say, a remembrance of that which Jesus did at His Last Supper, and thus, the celebration of Holy Mass will be suppressed

Are - The physical location of the Third Temple and the physical location of Jerusalem - the same?

Right. The prophecy was fulfilled in AD 70 when the Roman armies destroyed the Temple and the old covenant was done away with; replaced by the Church and the New covenant.

I’m not sure, I don’t recall any scripture passages that reference a third Temple nor it’s location. Presumably it would be in Jerusalem if one were to believe that those in Judea are to flee to the mountains.

The Old Covenant was history via Jesus - before the destruction of Jerusalem.

Today’s 3rd Temple Jews reference a Third Temple - from the OT .

And the antiChrist is mentioned in reference to sitting himself in a temple claiming he’s God.

God’s TEMPLE is no longer one made of Bricks and Mortar. .

WE are the Temple of God

_

A temple is the place where God is worshipped.
I vaguely remember Mother Angelica speaking about receiving instructions from God Himself to build a Temple to Him . It must have been in the early days of EWTN

Hi, I understand this to be the Emperor Nero. He persecuted Christians and the early church. It was in these persecutions that St Peter and St Paul were martyred.

Was… Since JESUS - WE are the Temple of God.

1. Don’t you know that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in your midst?

The Man of Lawlessness

Concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our being gathered to him, we ask you, brothers and sisters, not to become easily unsettled or alarmed by the teaching allegedly from us—whether by a prophecy or by word of mouth or by letter—asserting that the day of the Lord has already come.

Don’t let anyone deceive you in any way, for that day will not come until the rebellion occurs and the man of lawlessness is revealed, the man doomed to destruction.

He will oppose and will exalt himself over everything that is called God or is worshiped,
so that he sets himself up in God’s temple, proclaiming himself to be God

i’ve heard the argument that the antichrist is an archetype so anyone who is not for Christ is an antichrist. If you are not for Him then you are against Him. when Jesus says “get behind me satan!” to peter he’s making the same point. now there may be an actual reality to this whole 666 part or some other detail but that may also be the devil’s way to distract us, to fearmonger, and to make us los our focus on and trust in God. in the end it doesn’t matter what detail is true or not because if we follow the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit will lead us to God. So be at peace and trust in God.

I think its generally accepted Church teaching that the antichrist is an individual . The evangelist John spoke of ’ many antichrists ’ but there is also the archetype .

The Signs which must come - some of which have - are never to be forgotten.

The woman represents Islam and her jihadist sects. When the man/men of sin take the Old City and the Temple Mount, and run their ‘worldwide Islamic Caliphate’ from there or from the al Aqsa mosque, the old city of Jerusalem - God’s only personally claimed piece of real estate on earth becomes a harlot.

The typical Protestant understanding of Daniel 7:25 this is the harlot represents Catholicism, and/or the unification of the world’s religions, (by the Pope) which I think is a foolish interpretational blunder. Some Protestants, and esp. SDA’S believe the Pope initiated “Sunday worship” and therefore fulfilled this…

“And he shall speak great words against the most High, and shall wear out the saints of the most High, and think to change times and laws: and they shall be given into his hand until a time and times and the dividing of time.”

Daniel 7:25 tells us that the anti-Christ and his sidekick Islamic false prophet, will change the times Muslims worship, and change the direction they worship from facing east toward Mecca which is Islam’s holiest site, to facing the Dome of the Rock - currently Islam’s 3rd holiest site. Muslim’s WANT East Jerusalem all to themselves. They actually want the entire country of Israel.

Some people say the end-time anti-Christ is not a man but a spirit, that the man of sin is never called “the anti-Christ” in the bible. Well - ‘he’ is called “the anti-Christ” and personal pronouns are used to describe him.

What IS anti-Christ?

1 John 2:18 Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that (THE) antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time.

The word THE was omitted in the KJV and other translations. The interlinear shows the word THE is in the original text. 1st John is the only place in the bible where the man of sin IS CALLED THE ANTI-CHRIST. The NIV has it right…

“Dear children, this is the last hour; and as you have heard that the antichrist is coming, even now many antichrists have come. This is how we know it is the last hour.”

The first word ANTI-CHRIST in 1 John 2:18 has the word THE before it and is SINGULAR. The second word anti-Christ without the word THE is plural. This is how it’s written in the Greek Interlinear…

Little-boys-and-girls LAST HOUR it-IS AND according-AS YE-HEAR that THE INSTEAD-ANOINTED IS COMING AND NOW INSTEAD-ANOINTEDS MANY HAVE-BECOME WHICH PLACE WE-ARE-KNOWING that LAST HOUR it-IS.

Sometimes it’s difficult to determine whether a passage is referring to the end-time anti-Christ or the false prophet. Regardless, BOTH are referred to as HE. Personal pronouns are used to describe them so they are people possessed by the spirits of the evil ones.

Where does he come from?

For centuries people have believed Isaiah 10, 14, & 30, and Micah 5, identify the anti-Christ as an Assyrian, meaning he comes from the geographical area of ancient Assyria. People have for centuries believed that the one Nahum calls, “the wicked Counselor” IS also the anti-Christ and tells us from where he will originate.

in the end it doesn’t matter what detail is true or not because if we follow the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit will lead us to God. So be at peace and trust in God.

God’s Word is not being used to distract us, Christians typically do a pretty good job of distracting themselves. In the end it DOES matter what details are true. Preparing for “the end” goes beyond believing,…

“if we follow the Holy Spirit, the Holy Spirit will lead us to God. So be at peace and trust in God.”

Most Protestants believe - or have the bulk of Christians believing stuff that will never come to pass. I recently mentioned some of these things on my home page.

Most Christians believe in a rapture before tribulation, a global dictator ruling within a One World Government, and that this dictator ‘the man of sin’ comes from Europe, the UN, or the USA….and all that makes up, “Babylon the Great. They believe a One World Religion is coming and many believe it’s united by the Pope who imposes a ‘mark’ or ‘chip implant’ upon the world. They believe that the beast of Revelation 13, 17 and Daniel 7 are all the same ‘global’ empire of the beast. And because of “Daniel’s 70th week” which I don’t believe in, many believe the man of sin will allow Israel to rebuild their Temple and allow them to resume animal sacrifices only to have them cease in the middle of tribulation.

AND I DON’T BELIEVE ANY OF IT! So what happens when Christians expect things to come down a certain way AND THEY DON’T?

1. There will NOT be a one world government or global dictator coming in the last days.

2. There will NOT be a one world religion united by the Pope, or any other worldwide unification of world religions in the last days. The religion of the beast is ISLAM.

3. The mark of the beast is NOT an implanted chip, and it has nothing to do with Rome or a national Sunday Law, and IT IS NOT WORLDWIDE. It is limited to the 10/7 alliance of kings and nations situated in the Middle-East. The mark is the Islamic zebiba/raisin/prayer bump.

4. Rome and the EU will have nothing to do with the last days. The anti-Christ is NOT a Roman or European, he is an Assyrian.

5. The beast of Rev. 13 and 17 is NOT a progression of world Empires. They are both complete end-time entities.

6. There will NOT be a Temple rebuilt in the last days.

7. There will NOT be a 7 year covenant or “peace treaty” brokered by the anti-Christ between Israel and the anti-Christ in the last days

8. America, the UN, or the EU is NOT Babylon the Great or the Whore of Babylon which has nothing to do with Rome.

9. The APOSTASY of 2 Thes. 2 has nothing to do with Christian’s or the Church. There is no such thing as APOSTATE CHRISTIANITY or the apostate church.

10. There will NOT be a pre-trib rapture.

Some people do not know their Scriptures.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.