7 day adventists...

What is this sect, I’ve heard that it is a very heretical catholic sect…

religioustolerance.org/sda.htm

Definitely not Catholic. Read this:

catholic.com/library/Seventh_Day_Adventism.asp

Adventism is a religion which originated with a self deluded woman named Ellen White. It all started in 1842. This woman taught everyone must keep the Jewish seventh day Sabbath, man does not have a soul, Christ entered a heavenly sanctuary in 1844, there is no hell and the Catholic church changed the Sabbath to Sunday. The movement is small in the United States.

Yes, Seventh Day Adventist are very anti Catholic. They view the Papacy as the "beast" of Revelation and the "mark of the beast" is observing Sunday instead of the Sabbath. Personally, how anyone can believe all this baloney is beyond me.

[quote=justcatholic]Adventism is a religion which originated with a self deluded woman named Ellen White. It all started in 1846. This woman taught everyone must keep the Jewish seventh day Sabbath, there is no soul, Christ entered a heavenly sanctuary in 1844, there is no hell and the Catholic church changed the the Sabbath to Sunday. The movement is small in the United States.

Yes, Seventh Day Adventist are very anti Catholic. They view the Papacy as the “beast” of Revelation and the “mark of the beast” is observing Sunday instead of the Sabbath. Personally, how anyone can believe all this baloney is beyond me.
[/quote]

Please pray for me. I have 2 kids still in such school. So far, I have not heard one negative thing though against Catholicism nor against any other belief. I have found them all to be true Christians, devout (they fall on their knees during prayer), very family oriented, and all around great people, really loving the Lord and observing the Sabbath whole-heartedly, whether it be Sat. or Sun., at least they behold it! More power to them! They don’t do anything sundown Friday, till sundown Saturday. It is a family time. I really admire this! How many of us, really keep the Sabbath Holy? I wish we did, but with my hubby, it’s most hard.

God Bless~~

sparkle

There is no doubt that the Adventist people seem very devout, but what they actually believe is very anti Catholic and un Christian to say the least. The proof lies in their books. Glance through their best selling book "Bible Readings for the Home" and you will see what I posted was true. Also Adventist **do** believe Ellen White is their end time prophetess for their movement.Scores of books have been published on her so called "revelations" concerning the Sabbath and the Sanctuary doctrine. 

Sparkle, all people involved in cults are genuinely nice and sincere people. That is the illusion of it all. But cults must be rejected, because what they actually teach and believe runs directly against what the Christian Catholic Church has always taught. That man does have a soul. There is a terrible place called hell for the wicked. Christians began to assemble on "the Lord's day" or what we call Sunday from the very first century and the Pope never changed the Sabbath at all. Lastly, our Lord entered the heavenly sanctuary after his resurrection, when he ascended to his Father and not in 1844, as Ellen White falsely taught and believed.

Why don't you send your children to a Catholic school? If you believe in the Catholic church, then raise them in the true faith and be faithful to Christ and his church. This is the church our Lord entrusted to Peter. The Adventist church was started in the 1800's by Ellen White.

One problem that you will find is that the SDA people can be really nice, devout folks. (Hey my best friend is SDA and I love the dude to death!)

I have to go back to something that is critically important, which is the nature of absolute truth. If there is such a thing then one is morally bound to obey it when one discovers it. Portions of truth are deceptive and can lead one into errors. The SDA teachings and publications (Ever read “The Great Controversy”? Get the anti-heartburn meds out first.) are virulently anti-Catholic with misinformation, Biblically errant doctrines, and unsubstantiated allegations. As they say on the street, “It ain’t nuthin’ nice.”

Sooner or later you will come up against some of the hairiest lies about the Catholic Church you have ever heard…and it will be presented with fervent devotion by an SDA member who really believes all their stuff.

Be very careful that they are not teaching your children their false beliefs.

Adventists rock.

Adventism doesn’t really.

Adventist schools are awesome.

Adventism isn’t.

There are things we can learn from them.

There are ALOT of things doctrinally they could learn from us to say the least.

I met a woman some time back on the bus. She wears one of those cap things, so when I first saw her, I thought she was mennonite. Well, she isn’t. Nor is she SDA. She says that she and her family are part of “church.” No specific denomination, they don’t believe in that.

Well, they believe that Catholics changed the sabbath to sunday, and she shows all kinds of “proof” that this is so. Of course, some of her other ideas are so far out there that it’s a wonder that she doesn’t believe in UFO’s!! :tsktsk: Of course, a few years ago there was a book that alot of people got in the mail. At least, the building I lived in at the time, everyone there got one. It was called “National Sunday Law.” It said basically the same thing.

Well, Stephanie takes it one step farther. She says that it is a violation of God’s law, and that everyone who worships on sunday instead of saturday will never make it into heaven. There was a bunch of other stuff as well. I did consult with a couple of priests before I answered her, her take on that? “Of course they’d say that!! It’s what they’re suppose to say. They have to cover up the truth!!” And she says that there were two groups of christians initially. One was the “true” church, and passed down the “true” bible. Then there’s the group that descended into modern protestantism and catholicism. Funny thing though, her bible is the same one that everyone else uses!! :banghead: :bigyikes:

[quote=Christy Beth]I met a woman some time back on the bus. She wears one of those cap things, so when I first saw her, I thought she was mennonite. Well, she isn’t. Nor is she SDA. She says that she and her family are part of “church.” No specific denomination, they don’t believe in that.

Well, they believe that Catholics changed the sabbath to sunday, and she shows all kinds of “proof” that this is so. Of course, some of her other ideas are so far out there that it’s a wonder that she doesn’t believe in UFO’s!! :tsktsk: Of course, a few years ago there was a book that alot of people got in the mail. At least, the building I lived in at the time, everyone there got one. It was called “National Sunday Law.” It said basically the same thing.

Well, Stephanie takes it one step farther. She says that it is a violation of God’s law, and that everyone who worships on sunday instead of saturday will never make it into heaven. There was a bunch of other stuff as well. I did consult with a couple of priests before I answered her, her take on that? “Of course they’d say that!! It’s what they’re suppose to say. They have to cover up the truth!!” And she says that there were two groups of christians initially. One was the “true” church, and passed down the “true” bible. Then there’s the group that descended into modern protestantism and catholicism. Funny thing though, her bible is the same one that everyone else uses!! :banghead: :bigyikes:
[/quote]

It would also be interesting to know how she traces this “true” church back to Jesus seeing as that Saturday worship is a pretty recent phenomenon.

[quote=Christy Beth]I …Well, they believe that Catholics changed the sabbath to sunday, and she shows all kinds of “proof” that this is so. Of course, some of her other ideas are so far out there that it’s a wonder that she doesn’t believe in UFO’s!! :tsktsk: …
[/quote]

The Catholic Church DID change the sabbath to Sunday. I believe it is in the Acts of the Apostles. They changed it to the Lord’s day to avoid to much Judaizing. This is one argument for the authority of the Church. In fact a Priest in the 19th century challenged protestants to explain how the sabbath got changed to Sunday if the Church has no authority!

Seventh Day Adventists can be nice people, just like anyone else. I know a lot of them, as my wife (Catholic) worked at one of their educational instutions in Loma Linda, CA (their world center, really).

They can be a little cold on social issues (i.e., death penalty, etc.), but so are many conservative Catholics and protestants.

Their Church is officially anti-catholic, though. They consider the Catholic Church to be the “Whore of Babylon”, again, some protestant cults do the same.

Mark
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

Allow me to explain this false notion that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

First off the Sabbath day was originally given to the nation of Israel as a sign between them and God.Read Exodus chapter 31, verses 12 thru 17. It was and is a **perpetual ** sign or covenant between God and Israel. No servile work, cooking, or travel is to be done on this day. It’s Jewish O.K.

Adventist desperately try to say the church should also observe the Sabbath given to Israel. But one can read the writings of the Apostles until one is exhausted, and you will never find one command that the church is to observe the Sabbath.

The church observes the Lord’s day, because it is the day our Lord arose from the dead and the church from it’s early beginnings, assembled on that day to observe the Eucharist(break bread) and rejoice in the Lord. See Acts 20:7 and the writings of St Justin Martyr.

[quote=justcatholic]Allow me to explain this false notion that the Catholic Church changed the Sabbath to Sunday.

[/quote]

I was unclear. The Acts of Apostles do not explicitly change the sabbath. It implicitly shows that by the time of St. Paul, the Church was celebrating the Lord’s Day, not the sabbath.

Still, this is an issue of authority of the Church. By its authority, the Church did change the day of worship from the sabbath to the Lord’s Day.

The Catholic Mirror published articles regarding this and challenging Protestants to ask why they celebrate the Lord’s Day, rather than the sola scriptura mandated Sabbath (“Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy”). Of course they could argue, “because St. Paul did”, but still there is no Scriptural reference as to how this occured. Here is a clip from one of the articles:

[quote=Catholic Mirror (1893)]"… The Protestant world has been, from its infancy, in the sixteenth century, in thorough accord with the Catholic Church, in keeping “holy,” not Saturday, but Sunday. The discussion of the grounds that led to this unanimity of sentiment and practice of over 300 years, must help toward placing Protestantism on a solid basis in this particular, should the arguments in favor of its position overcome those furnished by the Israelites and Adventists, the Bible, the sole recognized teacher of both litigants, being the umpire and witness. If however, on the other hand, the latter furnish arguments, incontrovertible by the great mass of Protestants, both cases of litigants, appealing to their common teacher, the Bible, the great body of Protestants, so far from clamoring, as they do with vigorous pertinacity for the strict keeping of Sunday, have no other resource [recourse] left than the admission that **they have been teaching and practicing **what is Scripturally false for over three centuries, by adopting the teaching and practice of what they have always pretended to believe an apostate church, contrary to every warrant and teaching of sacred Scripture. To add to the intensity of this Scriptural and unpardonable blunder, it involves one of the most positive and emphatic commands of God to His servant, man: "Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy."
No Protestant living today has ever yet obeyed that command, preferring to follow the apostate church referred to than his teacher the Bible, which, from Genesis to Revelation, teaches no other doctrine, should the Israelites and Seventh-day Adventists be correct. Both sides appeal to the Bible as their “infallible” teacher. Let the Bible decide whether Saturday or Sunday be the day enjoined by God. One of the two bodies must be wrong, and, whereas a false position on this all-important question involves terrible penalties, threatened by God Himself, against the transgressor of this “perpetual covenant,” we shall enter on the discussion of the merits of the arguments wielded by both sides. Neither is the discussion of this paramount subject above the capacity of ordinary minds, nor does it involve extraordinary study. It resolves itself into a few plain questions easy of solution:

1st. Which day of the week does the Bible enjoin to be kept holy?

2nd. Has the New Testament modified by precept or practice the original command?

3rd. Have Protestants, since the sixteenth century, obeyed the command of God by keeping “holy” the day enjoined by their infallible guide and teacher, the Bible? and if not, why not? …"

(aloha.net/~mikesch/chalng.htm)
[/quote]

Because of authroity of the Church, of course.

Mark
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com

[quote=Valtiel]What is this sect, I’ve heard that it is a very heretical catholic sect…
[/quote]

As mentioned, they’re not Catholic. You were given false information about them.

Seeker

The Catholic Mirror does not have the same authority as  the Pope or what our magisterium has already declared as dogma. And it is especially not declared in the published Catholic catechism that the church changed the Sabbath.As I posted earlier, the church already was worshiping on the Lord's day before there was ever a formal  Papacy in history . The Catholic Mirror obviously was either over zealous in their article or just ignorant of church history period. Even a simple reading of the New Testament proves this to be the case.

And what really upsets me is the fact that the book “The Great Controversy” says that the Catholic Church worships “a wafer and a chalice.” Well, we don’t worship that; we worship Jesus, who gave us the Eucharist as a sign that he is still living within us and among us. I find the book very anti-Catholic.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.