72 Virgins

I have asked this question before and have never received an answer from a Muslim. Anyone out there have the answers?

1- Is the 72 virgin story based on the Qur’an?

2- Are the virgins human?

3- Who are their fathers?

4- Are their fathers proud?

5- What did they do to deserve their fate?

Can anyone answer these questions for me please? If possible could you also cite reference material?

[quote=iamrefreshed]I have asked this question before and have never received an answer from a Muslim. Anyone out there have the answers?

2- Are the virgins human?

3- Who are their fathers?

4- Are their fathers proud?

5- What did they do to deserve their fate?

Can anyone answer these questions for me please? If possible could you also cite reference material?
[/quote]

I am not answering for the Muslims but I would like to know the intention of this thread. We have kept the Muslims in this forum too busy with many misconceptions that’s why they can not find time to answer your questions. If you are really interested to know more about this, all you have to do is google it or join an Islamic forum. Try this one: www.imanway.com/en. You will be surprised how polite and courteous are the Muslims in their forums unlike the sad state of many Christian forums where we see a lot of slander (esp against their prophet) and un-Christian behaviour against Muslims.

manx

[quote=iamrefreshed]I have asked this question before and have never received an answer from a Muslim. Anyone out there have the answers?

[/quote]

I will try to clear up 1st question. 72 virgins is not mentioned in Quran. In Quran it is mentioned as Virgin. You can find 72 wives in Hadith by Al-Tirmidhi. These wives are confimed as virgins in Quran.

It is in the Islamic Traditions that we find the 72 virgins in heaven specified: in a Hadith (Islamic Tradition) collected by Al-Tirmidhi (died 892 CE [common era*]) in the Book of Sunan (volume IV, chapters on The Features of Paradise as described by the Messenger of Allah [Prophet Muhammad], chapter 21, About the Smallest Reward for the People of Paradise, (Hadith 2687). The same hadith is also quoted by Ibn Kathir (died 1373 CE ) in his Koranic commentary (Tafsir) of Surah Al-Rahman (55), verse 72: “The Prophet Muhammad was heard saying: ‘The smallest reward for the people of paradise is an abode where there are 80,000 servants and 72 wives, over which stands a dome decorated with pearls, aquamarine, and ruby, as wide as the distance from Al-Jabiyyah [a Damascus suburb] to Sana’a [Yemen]’.”

In Quran, these 72 wives have been confirmed as virgins.

Koran 78:31
As for the righteous, they shall surely triumph. Theirs shall be gardens and vineyards, and **high- bosomed virgins ** for companions: a truly overflowing cup.

Koran 37:40-48
…They will sit with bashful, dark-eyed virgins, as chaste as the sheltered eggs of ostriches.

Koran 44:51-55
…Yes and We shall wed them to dark-eyed houris. (beautiful virgins)

Koran 52:17-20
…They shall recline on couches ranged in rows. To** dark-eyed houris (virgins)** we shall wed them…

Koran 55:56-57
In them will be bashful virgins neither man nor Jinn will have touched before.Then which of the favours of your Lord will you deny ?"

Koran 55:57-58
Virgins as fair as corals and rubies. Then which of the favours of your Lord will you deny ?"

Koran 56:7-40
…We created the houris (the beautiful women) and made them virgins, loving companions for those on the right hand… "

Koran 55:70-77
"In each there shall be virgins chaste and fair… Dark eyed virgins sheltered in their tents whom neither man nor Jin will have touched before…

[quote=manx]I am not answering for the Muslims but I would like to know the intention of this thread. We have kept the Muslims in this forum too busy with many misconceptions that’s why they can not find time to answer your questions. If you are really interested to know more about this, all you have to do is google it or join an Islamic forum. Try this one: www.imanway.com/en. You will be surprised how polite and courteous are the Muslims in their forums unlike the sad state of many Christian forums where we see a lot of slander (esp against their prophet) and un-Christian behaviour against Muslims.

manx
[/quote]

The intention was for me to understand the concept of sex being used by Allah to make man follow his laws.

My understanding, from a Muslim poster, Munawar, is that this is the case. I would like to have more evidence other than just his opinion.

I don’t mean to be insulting in any way. I have had good dialogue with many Muslims here and would like that to continue.

I am just having difficulty understanding the concept.

Description of Jannah(heaven):

whyislam.org/forum/forum…=3465&KW=Jannah

wa salam

[quote=fatuma]Description of Jannah(heaven):

whyislam.org/forum/forum…=3465&KW=Jannah

wa salam
[/quote]

The link doesn’t seem to work. Could you try re-posting it please?

Ok, lets see if this one works:

whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3465&KW=Jannah

wa salam

yes, it does work.

There will always be difficult concepts to understand from different beliefs. Why can’t we just accept that it’s their belief ? Not because our tiny minds can not accept those beliefs, we are justified in questioning the authenticity of the source. Mind you, the Muslims are also having a hard time understanding Trinity! :rolleyes:

struggler,

manx

[quote=manx]There will always be difficult concepts to understand from different beliefs. Why can’t we just accept that it’s their belief ? Not because our tiny minds can not accept those beliefs, we are justified in questioning the authenticity of the source. Mind you, the Muslims are also having a hard time understanding Trinity! :rolleyes:

struggler,

manx
[/quote]

Isn’t the idea of the forum to learn? Is it wrong to question? I do accept that it is their belief.

If they are good Muslims, they are here evangelizing and would like for me to understand their beliefs.

Will you stop trying to teach Trinity to them and just tell them to accept it? I hope not.

Peace

[quote=fatuma]Ok, lets see if this one works:

whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3465&KW=Jannah

wa salam

yes, it does work.
[/quote]

Thank you. It worked. I read the description of Jannah (Heaven). It did not answer my original question though. The description was attribuited to Imam Ibn Al-Qayyim. Are there any supporting Sura?

What I am trying to understand besides Allah using a carrot and stick method with sex, is the other people in the picture.

Who are these virgins? Who are these servants? Are they deceased humans? Are they sentient beings?

If there is no answer then that’s OK.

The servants are created by God for you. So are the servants.

Don’t worry, a women who earns her way into heaven isnt going to end up as one of 72 virgins. They are not deceased humans, they are just sort of heaven-beings, and much more attractive than anyone ever to walk the earth mind you :wink: :wink:

But the fact remains that very few people will be given this privelege as its very hard to earn

[quote=Eetaq]The servants are created by God for you. So are the servants.
Don’t worry, a women who earns her way into heaven isnt going to end up as one of 72 virgins.
[/quote]

The fact according to Islam to is Only very few women will make it to heaven,

The majority of people in hell are women.

Mohammed said, "I was shown the Hell-fire and that the majority of its dwellers are women. " Vol. 1:28, 301; Vol. 2:161; Vol. 7:124

Women in Islam is always Dhimmi even in next life.

[quote=Eetaq]But the fact remains that very few people will be given this privelege as its very hard to earn
[/quote]

What privelege ? Having 72 Virgins ? ******

[quote=Eetaq]The servants are created by God for you. So are the servants.

Don’t worry, a women who earns her way into heaven isnt going to end up as one of 72 virgins. They are not deceased humans, they are just sort of heaven-beings, and much more attractive than anyone ever to walk the earth mind you :wink: :wink:

But the fact remains that very few people will be given this privelege as its very hard to earn
[/quote]

Can you provide me reference in Qur’an or Hadith for your statements?

Another Muslim poster said that every Muslim belief is recorded in Qur’an or Hadith.

I would like to read this for myself. A link would be great!

Hey PK,

Please be careful with your words. I can sense more hatred from you than love. Is this being Christ-like? You could be creating more hatred between Christians and Muslims instead of having a peaceful and polite discussion. I have never seen any Muslim who used foul words against Christ. Actually, if they do that, they know that they will commit disbelief that takes them out of Islam.

manx

As far as I know, they are a special creation. They are not deceased humans.

manx

[quote=manx]As far as I know, they are a special creation. They are not deceased humans.

manx
[/quote]

According to past muslim posts here, I think by Faith 101, BOTH THE BODY AND THE SOUL OF A DEAD PERSON ARE IN THE GRAVE.

You mean, that body which is in RIGOR MORTIS is going to have sex?

Hello all. The topic of 72 virgins was discussed in some detail on the WhyIslam forum. whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3775&PN=1

:slight_smile:

[quote=manx]I have never seen any Muslim who used foul words against Christ.
[/quote]

Come on manx, Was Jesus Sinful to be criticised, to use foul words on him ? Can anyone find a fault in Jesus ?

But, See Mohammed, founding father of Islam, He didn’t have a single Quality to be called a Messenger of God. In my view, one who claims to be a messenger of God must be endowed with spiritual qualities such as love, compassion, honesty, self-restraint, etc. Muhammad could not be a messenger of God because he was lecherous, immoral and unethical man, bereft of human qualities. Many other vile qualities that disqualify him to be a decent human being let alone a messenger of God. Peaceful Pagan Arabians were agitated by Mohammed’s immoral unholy sinful action and told him “If god needed a messenger, he would have chosen somebody better than you.”

Instead of being Dhimmi to muslims, We should educate them. We should expose Mohammed, his immorality and his hateful cult. This is not hate. Infact, we do service to humanity to save muslims from this hateful cult.

[quote=Emad]Hello all. The topic of 72 virgins was discussed in some detail on the WhyIslam forum. whyislam.org/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3775&PN=1

[/quote]

The “resource” tou cited is a message thread. It answer no questions with any authority.

Can you answer ALL of my original questions and cite resources? Links are fine if the are to AUTHORATIVE sources.

It is a little frustrating to have answers given that are opinion rather than ones based on Qur’an or Hadith.

Is it not true that all Islam comes from these two sources? I have been told that numerous times by Muslims here and other forums.

[quote=iamrefreshed]The “resource” tou cited is a message thread. It answer no questions with any authority.

Can you answer ALL of my original questions and cite resources? Links are fine if the are to AUTHORATIVE sources.

It is a little frustrating to have answers given that are opinion rather than ones based on Qur’an or Hadith.

Is it not true that all Islam comes from these two sources? I have been told that numerous times by Muslims here and other forums.
[/quote]

Yes I will be more than happy to. However due to my limited time I would appreciate if you can post one or two questions at a time and I will answer them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.