7th graders

I could use some ideas for making catechism interesting for 7th graders. They come right from school and it is hard to sit still. :rolleyes: Our lessons are about 45 minutes long.

Any ideas, crafts, games, anything...sooooo appreciated.
Gram Joan

[quote="Gram_Joan, post:1, topic:209664"]
I could use some ideas for making catechism interesting for 7th graders. They come right from school and it is hard to sit still. :rolleyes: Our lessons are about 45 minutes long.

Any ideas, crafts, games, anything...sooooo appreciated.
Gram Joan

[/quote]

I focus mainly on educating younger students, but I wonder of more on-your-feet interaction might help.

You could brainstorm game ideas, or even do skits. Maybe pick concepts that you are teaching and have them create skits about that concept.

Always keep this in mind too:

"Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand."

You could even give the kids specific topics to reseach and have them teach the class. This is kind of difficult to help with since I've never taught a catechism class (I'm in training to be a schoolteacher) so what does your curriculum look like? What concepts are you going through?

(also, I'm sorry about my many spelling errors....I'm battling a pretty good allergy attack at the moment!)

I have children around that age. Here are things they have enjoyed about there middle school classes at our Parish:

1. There was food. Even popcorn and water would be fine but they want/need a snack. Maybe parents can take turns bringing it in…or ask parents to be sure their child has a snack with them to have before class.

2. Talking with them, not at/to them. If you can engage them in discussions about some of the things they are learning, they often will participate more.

3. Small group work helps. Sometimes breaking them up into small groups to answer questions you pose then present answers to the class. Remember, kids this age are social.

4. Having them MOVE, as another poster mentioned, is always good. Learning while walking aorund the Parish helps. For instance, when studying about ways to serve the church a few can walk to find a bulletin and then tell the class what opportunites there are for kids there age to serve. Others can walk around the outside and suggest things they could do as a class to spruce up the place.

5. Brining in an ENGAGING priest or nun to talk is a big hit with my kids.

6. Combine with a younger class (1st graders who are pre-first communion would be nice) and let them teach a lesson to those kids then do a craft or game with them. Assign a buddy system and do this monthly, if possible (your kids will learn as they teach). Duaghter loved doing this in 8th grade.

7. Field Trip! One of the best learning experiences my older child had was to a trip to a monestary. A young monk gave them a tour and told them about his life there. They did this while studying a unit on vocations. Another child had class off one week but the parents were asked to take the kids to the Cathedral in town for mass that week.

8. I was suprised, but in 6th grade a teacher read outloud to the kids for 10 minutes at the end of class each day. She read a saint bio. (check seton.com) and they LOVED it.

9. Videos that show kids their age. Even secular ones can be used because the discusison then can be about the behavior and choices kids their age must make.

10. Get their ideas. Let them brainstorm regarding things they would like to do. Use one or two ideas during the year, if appropriate.

Don’t worry, they will be fine. The above can help, but ultimately they are there to learn and not to be entertained. However, I agree fully with trying to make learning enjoyable so long as the learning is still there and the teacher is still in full control!

Taben

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.