8 US Catholic Churches You Have to See to Believe

Have you had the opportunity to visit/attend Mass at any of these churches? Are any of them in your part of the country?

http://grottonetwork.com/keep-the-faith/community/beautiful-catholic-architecture-in-united-states/

• Holy Family Shrine, Gretna, NE
  • Chapel of the Holy Cross in Sedona, AZ
  • St. Catherine of Siena Chapel in Allenspark, CO
  • Cathedral of Saint Mary of the Assumption in San Francisco, CA
  • El Santuario de Chimayo in Chimayo, NM
  • St. John’s Abbey in Collegeville, MN
  • Basilica of the National Shrine of Mary, Help of Christians, at Holy Hill in Hubertus, WI
  • St. Joseph the Betrothed Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church in Chicago, IL

How you just going to leave the Deep South out?

I was going to say, of the few that are actually east of the Mississippi, they are not that far east of it. I guess the east coast and the south are just full of ugly churches. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Seriously, though, any list is always going to invite people to say, “But what about…” It’s just nice to see beautiful churches. :slight_smile:

I think some of these are terrible.

What would you nominate as the most beautiful Catholic church in the South? Or the East? Do you have pictures to show the rest of us?

For the south… I would 100% nominate the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament, built by Mother Angelica.

In the East, there are several: far too many to count and list, including the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in DC, Cathedral Basilica of Saints Peter & Paul in Philadelphia, Cathedral Basilica of the Sacred Heart in Newark, NJ (which is the 5th largest Cathedral in North America), St. Patrick’s Cathedral in NYC, St. Anthony’s Chapel in Pittsburgh, [Basilica of the Assumption](http://Basilica of the Assumption) in Baltimore, Cathedral of St. Matthew in DC, Cathedral of Saint Patrick in Harrisburg, PA, and finally, the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in America

There really are a ton in the Northeast

Check out the Chapel of Divine Mercy in Auburn, KY

Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Tampa.

Someone should go through the list of basilicas in the United States. I bet most of them are pretty good, or else they wouldn’t be a basilica. :slight_smile:

I went to St. Peter’s in Columbia BEFORE it was a basilica. It’s nice enough, but very crowded. I like small, simple churches. Lots of art is good, but there’s a little church near where I live that has a single stained glass window. It’s a big one though. I am, however, glad to see an Eastern Catholic church on the list. This is where I went for the dormition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BptDnOaemTg

I think most of these are terrible!

In a city where the vast majority of Catholic churches are a century or more old and miraculously escaped the reckovations of yesteryear they choose the one that looks like a giant washing machine agitator as San Francisco’s representative?

Well, I suppose the headline is “8 US Churches You Have to See to Believe”, not “The US’s 8 Most Beautiful Churches.” :wink:

LOL ---- that is very true

What I find interesting about a couple of the churches on the list is the way they fit into their environment. They’re not just buildings plopped down on a site, but integrate the church with the natural setting of God’s creation.

Then you should check out the new St. Paul University Catholic Center at the University of Wisconsin… amazing!!!

https://uwcatholic.org/cornerstone/explore-the-new-building/

Here are some pics from Google too (there are a couple pics of the old one there too)

God Bless

How about the oldest Catholic Church of TX in San Antonio. San Fernando

Or the oldest Catholic Church of the US in New Orleans. St. Louis

I attend Mass at Chimayo several times a year. It is a special place.

St. Anthony’s is sort of unremarkable from the outside- its treasures are inside and its not the architecture per se, but the largest collection of relics in our hemisphere on an orderly street on the North Side.

I was hoping for pictures! :smiley:

St. John The Evangelist Cathedral in Lafayette, Louisiana:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.