80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader

80-Year-Old Chicago Man Kills Armed Home Invader
foxnews.com/us/2010/05/26/year-old-chicago-man-kills-armed-home-invader/

An 80-year-old Chicago man shot and killed an armed man who broke into his two-story house in a pre-dawn home invasion Wednesday on the city’s West Side.
At about 5:20 a.m., the homeowner and his wife, also in her 80s, discovered the intruder entering their home through a back door. The homeowner, who had a gun, confronted and killed the burglar on the doorstep, police said. Cops said the intruder also fired his gun during the struggle.

“It’s a good thing they had a gun, or they might be dead,” said Curtis Thompson, who lives next door to the couple, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

Neighbors described the elderly couple, who both walk with canes, as pillars of the community in Garfield Park, where home invasions have been all too frequent.
Their neighbor, Shaquite Johnson, told MyFoxChicago that the two are “heroes” for fighting off the attacker — and that the shooting means there is “one less criminal” walking the streets.

“They don’t bother no one, so why would anyone do that to them?” she said.
Relatives of the couple told the Sun Times that the man is an Army veteran, his wife a former nurse. Police said neither the man nor the woman was injured in the attack.
The assailant, who was described by police as being in his 30s, was found slumped on the back doorstep of the couple’s house, removed four hours after the shooting, the Sun Times reported.

No charges have been filed against the homeowner, but Chicago currently has a statute outlawing the possession of handguns. Its legality is currently being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court.

A high-profile Chicago attorney has already stepped forward offering to represent the man pro bono if he faces charges for possessing a weapon.

“Self-defense isn’t just a right, it’s a duty,” said attorney Joel Brodsky. "If this man is prosecuted for saving his own life it’s not just a travesty, it’s justice turned inside out."
Click here for more on this story from MyFoxChicago.

I’m not quite sure what to make of this… :confused:

It is a shame he wasn’t able to shoot him inside the home, but then again there may have been more risk involved to the homeowners had he done that. Not bad for an 80 year old!

An awesome event, this veteran is a good example for others.

Shooting someone inside the home is problematical. The sphincter lets go and makes a mess.

[What kind of gun did he use? And what kind of ammo? Whatever it was, it was certainly an effective combination. Maybe I can get John Kerry to buy me a gun like that.]

It’s easy to replace items that get “messed up” inside the home. My other concern, was the additional risk to waiting until he made it inside. But, it is far far less problematical to make sure that it happens inside the home.
One could argue on behalf of the young man intending to break in that he was merely trying to warn them to move their cars on a no parking on that side of the street day. One could argue so many drummed up defenses if he never broke into the home. He could have been “worried about their safety” especially since they are elderly and we have had some hum dinger heat going on here. Perhaps he noticed their window unit air conditioner was not on, and worried they were suffering heat stroke. The list is endless.

In the immortal words of the great band, The Foo Fighters, “There goes my hero!”

I agree.

Perhaps he needed to borrow their garden hose because for some reason his own garden hose wouldn’t reach his rose bed.

OR, perhaps he was cleaning his own pistol and ran over next door to ask if could borrow a couple of ounces of gun oil.

Yes, you have the right idea. :thumbsup:

Apparently, the 80-year-old screwed up.

Evidently, he let the home invader get off two shots before he took the invader out.

lucianne.com/thread/?artnum=542834

Jees, why didn’t he just invite the guy for a drink or something!

Wife of 80-year-old who shot intruder: 'He saved our lives’
WGN News (Chicago), by Duaa Eldeib and Liam Ford

Posted: 5/27/2010 12:29:10 AM

As an 80-year-old Army veteran, his wife and great-grandson slept in their Humboldt Park home just before dawn Wednesday, a would-be burglar busted a basement window, crawled over discarded bikes and paint buckets, and made his way up winding stairs (snip) He then turned to the oversized glass window of the 80-year-old’s bedroom, pulled out his gun and shot, police and family said. But just as the man got off a second round, the homeowner, who had a handgun of his own, fired a single shot, killing the intruder, a police source said.

Original article:

chicagobreakingnews.com/2010/05/would-be-burglar-shot-to-death-by-west-side-resident.html

The intruder was inside the home on an enclosed back porch when he was discovered by the resident who saw him through a window. Then, the intruder shot into the man’s bedroom. The man, in turn, shot the intruder.

Before anyone says anything about Chicago gun laws, the result would have been the same if the man had used a registered coach gun. Reportedly he used an unregistered handgun.

What folks also do not realize is that Chicago gun laws (except for banning new registrations of handguns) are less restrictive than the post-*Heller *DC gun laws.

OK fine him $50 for violating Chicagos gun law, and then give him a medal for taking an armed criminal off the streets. That’s a pretty good shot for an 80 year old.

I’m not sure what you want this vet to do in order to “register” his handgun. When has there been a requirement for any registration of a handgun in the last oh, 30 or so years?

So, you try to make the vet sound like he is dirty and sneaky for not registering the handgun. Nice try. I for one, will not let you get off the hook there.

My second question to you sir, would be to tell me what you mean by a “coach gun”.

Could you reference the post Heller DC gun laws, and they compare to your personal interpretation fo what is or is not more restrictive?

Thank you

:eek:

He let him get off a second round

:eek:

I hope this guy gets some sort of formal recognition :thumbsup:

I have veterans in the family. They all want to organize something for this man too. I will do as they say, and support their efforts whatever they are.:wink:

It’s a shame when people just throw their lives away like that. I’m glad the man was able to protect himself and his wife. Who knows what that man might have done to them.

In addition to honoring Gramps, we should pray for the soul of the unfortunate criminal he justly put down.

Amen

Right now. Handgun registration is required. No new handguns may be registered.

Well, its the law. Any new firearm brought into the city must be registered.

A legally-short shotgun, usually two barrels, side by side.

DC laws post-Heller which have been upheld by the Supreme Court:

"The new District law requires that all guns be registered. The person seeking to do so must submit fingerprints and two photographs, show knowledge of local gun laws, have visual capacity sufficient to get a vehicle driver’s license, prove completion of a gun-use or safety course, show how the gun will be used and where it will be kept, and notify District police if the gun is stolen, transferred, sold, lost or destroyed. For pistols, each weapon must be submitted for a ballistic ID test, for which a fee is attached, and no more than one pistol a month may be registered. Registration lasts for three years, but can be renewed. "
scotusblog.com/2010/03/new-d-c-gun-laws-upheld/
Plus no ‘assault weapons’ or large capacity magazines on guns.

Chicago does not require any testing of guns and there is no education or fingerprint requirement.

You are very welcome, I’m sure.

If I interpret this correctly, Chicago has Catch-22 for a hand gun law. All hand guns must be registered but no new hand guns can be registered.

Does anyone know the penalty for shooting someone with an unregistered hand gun?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.