80s and 90s "Hair" Bands

Okay so I will stand infront of the podium, say Hi :wave: my name is Mirror Mirror and I am a hair band addict

(all echo) Hi Mirror Mirror!!

I know that I am not the only one out there, so come on out of hiding. List your top 5 hair bands and those that you feel just deserve some mentioning. I’ll start

1. Skid Row
  2. Warrant
  3. Def Leppard
  4. Heaven’s Edge
  5. Tuff

(those that deserve a mentioning as well)

Motley Crue, Poison, Firehouse, Slaughter, Tesla, Dangerous Toys, Danger Danger, Faster Pussycat, Pretty Boy Floyd, Tora Tora, Dream Theater, Candlebox, Electric Boys, Sweet FA, Roxy Blue, Extreme, Southgang, White Lion, Winger, the list goes on and on.

What are yours?

Ehehe, oh man, it is pretty fun music for the most part but the cheese factor is very high!

Then again, some of it is kinda gross in the raunchy and totally not-erotic kind of way (I mean, what’s more disgusting than a bunch of feminine looking guys wearing purple eye shadow, lipstick and blush gyrating around a mic stand)… :eek:

Cheese factor compared to what, exactly? Rap? The Beatles? Hendrix’ ridiculous 'fro? Music’s like anything else huge: it can make you do some dang strange things.

Anyway:

Bon Jovi
Europe
Alice Cooper (no he’s not technically Hair, but he invented glam)
Guns N Roses
Twisted Sister

I also think Pat Benatar should count–think about it. Look at her hair.

Oh, and also Hound Dog, the Japanese hairband that did the first opening to Naruto.

Also, Tesla deserves no mention; they don’t sound like humans singing, and would have sent the poor man right into one of his flashbacks to his brother’s funeral.

I can still remember being a young lad and having my older sister show me the album cover for Poison’s “Look What the Cat Dragged In” album. She asked me one simple question: Are the four people pictured here guys or girls? I thought the answer was obvious, but I was oh so wrong! :slight_smile:

I would have to say my five are:
Bon Jovi
Europe
Slaughter
Warrant
Southgang

I would definitely give honorable mentions to Baton Rouge, Firehouse, Posion, Def Leppard, Tesla (:wink: ), Great White (although I know they wouldn’t classify themselves as “hair” or “glam”, I still do), and I know there are probably more I’ll think of later.

I’ve never heard anyone classify Dream Theater as a hair band. I suppose it depends on the definition…:slight_smile:

I guess with Dream Theater I am putting them into the category of the great bands that came out in the late 80s/early 90s that could have been so much more successful if not for the grunge scene.

Another Southgang fan! Have you heard anything by the Marvelous 3 or Butch Walker?

in the last two years i’ve seen bon jovi, journey, reo speedwagon, bryan adams, def lepperd and styx.

bon jovi rocks. thats all i have to say.

Have I got the book for you: Fargo Rock City. I’m reading it now and it is a scream.

I hate to admit it, but when I was younger I was so in love with the lead singer from RATT. :blush:

Now when I hear their music I laugh and change it. Not much of a “hair band” fan here. :cool:

Woohoo!!! A music thread I can relate to!

Favorites:

1. Motley Crue
  2. Bon Jovi
  3. Guns N Roses
  4. Def Leppard
  5. Posion

Others that I like, Dokken, Cinderella, Ratt, Tesla, Great White, Whitesnake, Damn Yankees, Queensryche, Twisted Sister, Dangerous Toys, Extreme, Helix, Kix, Lita Ford, Mr Big, Stryper!!!, Jackyl, Europe, London Quireboys, LA Guns, Winger, Faster Pussycat, Firehouse, Skid Row, Slaughter,

BulletBoys were always a favorite

Here’s one you may never have heard of, but they ROCK! They kind of hit at the end of the scene, just as Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, and Nirvana were making Hair Bands obsolete.

Tyketto - Their first album “Don’t Come Easy” is fantastic.

Other bands that I have ONE cassette of:
Electric Boys (Cool, looks like I’m not the only one to have heard of them)
Kingofthehill
House of Lords
Saraya
Vixen
Britny Fox

I used to like Warrant back in the day, but all of their stuff grates on my every nerve anymore.

HA! "Which 80’s Hair Band Are You?"
selectsmart.com/FREE/select.php?client=hairband

#1 bon jovi
#2 whitesnake
#3 def leppard
#4 europe
#5 motley crue
#6 poison
#7 quiet riot
#8 twisted sister
#9 warrant

Rascal,

Believe it or not (and judging by your array of tastes in this music scene you will believe it) I have heard of every single band that you have listed on here. Probably have had a cd or cassette from 95% of them. I need to find the website that I was on with “hair band” trivia, I was getting most of those right as well. I am such the :nerd: I know. But it looks like you and I have the same taste in music.

Do you still listen to this music?

Here is a link to a website that I like to listen to:

icebergradio.com/80shairbands

Do you know of any others?

Also, here is that link to the different games/quizzes

funtrivia.com/quizzes/music/heavy_metal/hair_bands.html

I don’t know if they qualify as a hair band, but AC/DC is the best if you like loud.

I also love Quiet Riot, Poison, Def Leppard…

I really like good punk rock too - the Clash and Ramones.

I’m 56 and my tastes in music never fail to surprise those who think they know me:D

Hah! That’s just the cover I was thinking of!

Ohhh doesn’t any one remember Flock of Seagulls?

This guy’s hair was a classic.
http://www.oz.net/~davester/AFOS/Band/mikethen.JPG

And what abut Boy George? And Cyndi Lauper?

That hair did crack me up everytime, however, I do not think that Flock of Seagulls, Boy George or Cyndi Lauper qualify as “rock” music.

I don’t know if it’s because they are making a come back or they’ve been touring all these years & I haven’t paid attention:shrug: , but Poison & Ratt are playing here in concert this Sunday night.

The “Ratt Poison” show.

Sorry could not resist :rotfl:

On a side note a lot of the bands from that era still tour.

Great thread. Ahh the memories of my mis-spent youth. I can’t really add much to your list of great hair bands, but I had a tape from a band called Tuff Luck that I thought was great.

Anyone ever hear of them?

I never heard any of their music, but the name sounds familiar. What did they sing? I did like the music by the band ‘Tuff’

Did you hear their music? “I Hate Kissing You Goodbye” was their biggest hit.

Hmm…let’s see… who did I have on my wallpaper of rock bands in my bedroom as a teenager? Bon Jovi -their still my favorite. Cinderella, Guns N Roses (still have my stonewashed jean jacket from high school with the G N’ R backpatch my mom sewed on in the back of closet somewhere),Skid Row, Tesla, Europe, Ratt, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Warrant, Winger, Motley Crue, White Lion, Great White, Poison, Dokken, Slaughter. I did have Aerosmith tacked up on the wall but they weren’t a hair band, and I had Yngwie Malmsteen up there too.

I harassed my dad to paint my walls purple. After he finally did, once the paint was dry I covered just about every square inch with posters and rock mag pin ups. I even had a nearly life size Monster of Rock promo poster of Bon Jovi I had picked up in Europe duct taped to my ceiling.:smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.