9 Fridays?

Please forgive me if this is the wrong forum!

Question: 1st Friday lands on Good Friday. How do I keep fromm breaking my 9 Fridays?

Answer from Fr. Vincent Serpa: Hi,

You can still receive Holy Communion on Good Friday. Mass isn’t available. God understands. Our relationship with Him is a personal, lovoing one. He is not that strict bean counter in the sky, you know.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

Can anyone explain this to me? 9 Fridays? (by the way, I copied and pasted, so spelling errors are not my own! :slight_smile: )

If you read the promises Jesus made to St Margaret Mary about the Nine First Fridays, you will find that you are required to RECEIVE COMMUNION on nine consecutive First Fridays. You are not required to attend MASS on nine first Fridays.

There is a difference, because a person can receive Communion outside of Mass. For example, priests and lay ministers of Holy Communion often visit housebound people, or people who are in hospital, and give Holy Communion to them - they rarely say Mass when they do this.

If you go to the Liturgy of the Lord’s Passion on Good Friday (usually held at 3pm), that is an occasion where, although it is not a Mass, Communion IS distributed to the faithful.

So by attending and receiving at the Good Friday Liturgy you will be fulfilling Our Lord’s requirement of receiving Holy Communion on that particular First Friday.

Have a blessed Easter!

Thanks so much for asking the question and for the answer. I was pretty confused myself!!

Good morning,
Forgive my ignorance but what are, “Nine first Fridays?” I have never heard of this.

It’s part of the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus, if I’m not mistaken.

A bit more information, along with the promises made to St. Margaret Mary, can be found here.

Per John 6:60, “This teaching is difficult. Who can accept it?” :eek:

Just kidding! :smiley:

In any case, I’m not able to receive the Eucharist in the Catholic Church yet anyway. :frowning:

I suppose I could go back to my Episcopal Church, but then there is that Real Presence/Symbolic Only issue! :confused:

Thanks LilyM! And also, thanks to you cctabb for the link! :thumbsup:

don’t worry about it, you will have plenty of opportunity to do so in the future

are you coming into the Catholic Church? are you not joining this weekend?

I’m working on it! Looks like it won’t happen this weekend because I got a late start with the RCIA class. I’ve got a letter showing I was baptised in the Episcopal Church, so from what I’ve read, that makes me a “candidate” as opposed to a “catachumen”. The Priest seems to be really busy so I haven’t been able to speak with him personally to find out exactly what my status is. :frowning:

Was it Padre Pio who said, “Pray, Hope and don’t worry.”? I must admit, these days the ‘don’t worry’ part is troublesome! maybe I should dig up some old “MAD Magazine” issues with Alfred E. Neuman, “What, Me Worry?”

Man! I have gotten so far off-track from the original thread! And I started it! :blush:

Those who have a devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus receive Holy Communion on nine consecutive First Fridays of the month as an expression of love for Jesus in the symbol of His Sacred Heart. :slight_smile:

It’s a good devotion for a new Catholic, because one of the promises associated with it is that you will never fall away from your faith.

Another good devotion is the five First Saturdays for the Immaculate Heart of Mary, which contains similar promises.

If you choose to do both, you can say that you have a devotion to “the Twin Hearts.” :slight_smile:

I’ll make a note of this for when the Church allows me to receive Communion. I need all the help I can get! :o

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.