911 operator faces charges after admitting to hanging up on callers

KHOU:

**911 operator faces charges after admitting to hanging up on callers

A Houston couple says they were victims of a former Houston Emergency Center 911 operator who has allegedly confessed to hanging up on callers seeking emergency help because “she did not want to talk to anyone at that time.”The former emergency operator, Crenshanda Williams, 43, is charged with two counts of interference with an emergency telephone call, a class A misdemeanor that carries a punishment of up to a year in jail and a $4,000 fine for each count upon conviction.

Buster Pendley says Williams hung up on him in the early morning hours of March 1 when his wife collapsed and lost consciousness after a blood clot moved to her lungs.
“She was gasping and I could feel her heart beating out of her chest, but I couldn’t get a pulse,” Pendley said.
Pendley said he attempted to perform CPR on his wife with one hand while calling 911 with the other.
“The 911 operator answered the phone, and she said, 'This is Crenshanda, may I help you?‘ Wife’s passed out I need an ambulance,” Pendley said. “She said OK, and she hangs up on me.”
An ambulance finally arrived after a second call…and Pendley’s wife survived. But Sharon Stephens says thinking about it still makes her mad.
“I was furious cause he didn’t tell me what happened, cause I would have, I mean I would have gotten from my hospital bed and gone to 911 and find out who did that to me.”

According to charging documents, managers at the emergency center determined that Williams had been involved in thousands of “short calls,” a term used to describe 911 calls that last 20 seconds or less, between October 2015 and March 2016.

I can’t imagine calling 911 and being hung up on. I’m surprised they don’t have a system to detect a pattern of “short calls”.

Why did it take thousands of shortcalls? Simply questioning the employee early on might have put an end to everything!

Wow! :frowning:

Perhaps because this kind of thing is rare enough that they haven’t put a policy in place to detect and stop it?

Horrifying. It’s hard to imagine the bad character of a person who would join such a job and behave in such a way for an extended period of time.

I hope she was terminated with an attitude like that.

I’m quite sure she won’t be allowed back in such a critical job. Hot dog cart vendor seems more apropos.

Refrigerate the hot dogs overnight? I ain’t got time for that!

If they can trace a death to her antics, then there may be some jail time…

I would think that this would be more than just a misdemeanor. In my opinion, it ought to be a felony with a heftier punishment.

I agree. It could have resulted in someone’s death.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.