95 postmodern theses

ginkworld.net/yourvoice/positionpapaers/95_postmodern_theses.htm
I found this link interesting. I’ve only gotten through the first 15 or so, but i like them. what are your thoughts?

[quote=Egg4christ]ginkworld.net/yourvoice/positionpapaers/95_postmodern_theses.htm
I found this link interesting. I’ve only gotten through the first 15 or so, but i like them. what are your thoughts?
[/quote]

Egg,

I’ve looked at them as well and I must admit that I’m a lot more negative towards them than you are. They put in a good bit of effort rejecting the mainstream church (1, 13, 23, 34, 46, 51ff) and saying unkind and inaccurate things about it (17, 19, 51, 52, 58, 61, 62, 63, 64). They seem to embrace a relativism that neglects what God has said about how we should do things (6, 20). And there is a scattering of misspellings and grammatical errors (33, 35, 37, 74).

I must admit that I find the statement that the Church doesn’t know what “community of faith” is all about to be laughable. It’s like the cartoon of the teenage girl haranguing her mother (who has most of a dozen younger kids clinging around her and a baby on each arm) saying “Mom, what do you know about love?”

• Liberian

[font=Verdana]

[/font]
[font=Verdana]15. A community of faith seeks to open conversation with others.[/font]

1. Church people talk to each other and this is usually a destructive habit based on judgment of others.

OK, so it is fine for members of “a community of faith” to talk to one another, but it is destructive for members of a church to do so?

You know, if you’re gonna attack the church (and I don’t believe the author means just the Catholic church-- his bias is painted with much too broad a brush to be just anti-Catholic), you should at least pay attention to the details of your attack.

[quote=from the website of 95 postmodern theses] 74. Pastoral Staff view the church they serve as a folic symbol – “mine is bigger then yours.”
[/quote]

WOW! I never knew the priests at my church sat around comparing the size of their B-complex vitamins! The things you learn on the internet! :smiley:

[quote=juno24]WOW! I never knew the priests at my church sat around comparing the size of their B-complex vitamins! The things you learn on the internet! :smiley:
[/quote]

Now, now … I think you’re being uncharitable. He obviously means “follicle.” Our priest is losing his hair, so I imagine that this would be of interest to him. :slight_smile:

Overall, though, I have to say that these theses are not nearly as profound as the ones by Matthew Fox, because he doesn’t also write them in German.

1. A community of faith is transparent, open and honest; it hides nothing AND 21) [font=Verdana]A community of faith holds no secrets – no secrets [/font]
    [font=Verdana][/font]
    [font=Verdana]THIS ONE IDEA MUST BE IMPORTANT, IT’S LISTED TWICE. OR WAS I NOT SUPPOSED TO NOTICE? I’M SURE IT’S HARD TO COME UP WITH 95. :rolleyes: [/font]
    [size=1][/size]
    How about this one:
    [size=1][/size]

2. A community of faith is learning to speak with a human voice and not with tricks; people understand and desire plain language.

[quote=Sebaldus]Now, now … I think you’re being uncharitable. He obviously means “follicle.” Our priest is losing his hair, so I imagine that this would be of interest to him. :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Yes, you are probably right. Mea Culpa.

Is follicle envy a sin?

[font=Verdana]94 To the church we say, “It would be a very big mistake to think we’re holding our breath for change, while you hold committee meetings to discus the possibility of meeting our needs – we are finding and developing places outside of you

where we are growing as Christians.” [/font]

Have fun with that…:rolleyes:
http://hazel.forest.net/skjold/New_Folder7/Images4x6Jpg2/Religion/ReligiousVol2/C486-06.JPG%between%

I love the juxtaposition of #70 and #71:

1. Churches simply do not, or choice not, to see that people "outside the church are laughing at them.

2. Churches and denominations need to develop a sense of humor, learn to laugh at themselves.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.