98% of Catholic Women use birth control?


#1

A few days ago this story started popping up in a number of major newspapers. The Guttmacher Institute found that between 2006-2008, 98% of Catholic women used birth control not condoned by the Church, leaving a small 2% that used NFP.

I found the study and read it, and I think that the numbers are closer to 87% of Catholic women using ABC.

What does it mean when the sheep do not listen to the shepherds?


#2

[quote="agbasinger, post:1, topic:236625"]
A few days ago this story started popping up in a number of major newspapers. The Guttmacher Institute found that between 2006-2008, 98% of Catholic women used birth control not condoned by the Church, leaving a small 2% that used NFP.

I found the study and read it, and I think that the numbers are closer to 87% of Catholic women using ABC.

What does it mean when the sheep do not listen to the shepherds?

[/quote]

Sheep that don't listen to their shepherds are simply not well trained. Understanding the difference between preventing birth through ABC vs. NFP is not a simple Sunday school theological concept, and when society continues to affirm things like condoms as something positive it is a given that problems are going to arise.

In addition we tend to put a taboo on speaking about sex to the youth of the Church, and since sex is a topic that teens are VERY interested in they are going to go to other sources like television and the internet to find information. Sadly neither of these sources is really a great place to learn.


#3

This study was made by an advocacy organization for the culture of death, which promotes abortion and other "reproductive" causes. They would have interest in producing such a figure about Catholics. If this came out from a reputable polling organization, such as Gallup, I would be far more likely to trust the poll they took. There is an informative book I once read, "How to Lie with Statistics," which detailed the many ways, some sophisticated, someone can skew such figures in favor of their cause.


#4

Whether they lied or not doesn’t really effect the question though. Pretty much any Catholic can tell you that a lot of Catholic couples do not use NFP, so it isn’t like the numbers being bigger or smaller makes much of a difference.


#5

In the first place I wouldn't give much credence to a report done by a group of non Catholics who would poll such an issue.There data can come from anywhere or anyplace especially when they were probalbly looking for the results they got.This is just the kind of news the media would like to hear.Its no doubt that many Catholics use birth control who shouldn't.Many who do find them selves in very difficult situations and don't see any alternitives.I suspect many wish they could come up with solution.Maybe over time and with prayer they can solve their difficulties.


#6

[quote="agbasinger, post:1, topic:236625"]
A few days ago this story started popping up in a number of major newspapers. The Guttmacher Institute found that between 2006-2008, 98% of Catholic women used birth control not condoned by the Church, leaving a small 2% that used NFP.

I found the study and read it, and I think that the numbers are closer to 87% of Catholic women using ABC.

What does it mean when the sheep do not listen to the shepherds?

[/quote]

First thing: never trust statistics... Seriously, they can get them to say whatever they want, and so many statistics are full of methodological flaws.
I studied statistics at university that concluded: abortion is best solution for women, marriages succeed best if you cohabitate first, all men are perverts, children who grow up with lesbian couples do as great as other children etc etc... We learned that these statistics were then sporadically quoted in magazines etc, because its what people like to read. However, when afterwards serious scientists point out all the methodological flaws of these previous studies, these findings do not make any headlines...
Its sad but true.
We are to check statistics for all kinds of mistakes before they can tell us anything. Besides from that, its best to trust your common sense, which would tell you that this statistic in question is flawed in at least one way.. A person can say they are Catholic merely because they have been baptised. If you want some real statistical material you need to ask about their current church attendance.


#7

Four words:
I don’t believe it.


#8

i think this IS a correct stat but I think the % of PRACTICING catholics using birth control is more like say 60%. i think this stat probably includes all the catholics-in-name-only. you know the ones who list their religions on the census and documents as catholic, but never set foot in a church except for Christmas and Easter and dont always believe in God.


#9

You get the numbers by controlling the people asked and by the way you ask the questions. Most people calling themselves Catholic haven't been inside any church in years. If you ask people who are merely cultural Catholics like that, the survey is meaningless in measuring real Catholic practice.

A few years ago, a national media outlet came out with a survey that claimed Americans are strongly in favor of foreign aid. No one else had a survey result that even came close. It turned out that the question was framed approximately "Do you think wealthy nations should share even a small portion of that wealth with those in less developed countries?" Of course, the answer was pretty much pre-set.


#10

The stats is based on ever used birth control (not only currently using) and only includes sexually active women. It may only include women trying to avoid pregnancy as well (this was not clear to me).


#11

I guess it’s just a sad reminder of our fallen nature.
The Hebrews were just as disobedient against the Mosaic Law.
And of course, every Protestant regularly contravenes fundamental teachings of his own church…


#12

Of course statistics can be skewed and data can be interpreted in a variety of ways... but regardless - 60%, 87%, 98%... seriously, whether these are practicing or in-name-only Catholics - this is all a MAJORITY... and that's frightening.

I go to what I would consider a "moderate" Catholic parish... I know there is a liberal bent to many of these concepts at my parish...
But from conversations I've had, with people who I would assume would be on the more conservative side (religiously speaking) of the isle... I'm SHOCKED by the responses. Of the dozen or so families at the parish school with at least 4 kids... I know at least half have mentioned (on their own - I don't "ask" these questions) being sterilized because they are "done"... many others have been honest and up-front about using birth control - usually justifying it or laughing it off...
I know of 2... TWO... families who have honestly mentioned using NFP or nothing at all... and I'm sure there are others who don't talk about their personal business with others... but of those who have "talked" about their personal family planning views - all active, weekly-Mass-attending-Catholics... from my personal experience... I'd say those upper statistics aren't too far off.

Very, very sad. :(


#13

im single and celibate so im not sure but isnt NFP about 99% accurate if you do it properly testing saliva for hormones and stuff?

also the attitude of priests doesnt help much. i confessed about a) m@sturbating over my hot ex boyfriend and having impure nasty thoughts about doing things which were definately lustful and sinful
b) fooling about but not fornicating with my ex bf who was divorced and not annulled and not practicing catholic.

the priest basically said a) wasnt necessarily sinful but was unhelpful and i should distract my thoughts and b) was fine and ok as long as we didnt have fornication, it didnt count as sexual immorality. also he said it wasnt adultery that my ex bf was not annulled and we were dating and fooling around, since we didnt have sex.

is this right? maybe the priests dont talk about these things nowadays? when was the last time you heard a sermon about sexual immorality? in my local NO mass, about 70% of the congregation who are unmarried are living with a partner and often bring them to mass, where they stand wearing miniskirts, leggings and revealing attire, holding hands during the service. they are likely fornicating and usign birth control. do you think the priest is really gonna say these things are wrong, condoms are wrong etc when he knows it will drive away the majority of youngsters fromt he church? by youngsters i mean those under 70.


#14

I remember, in the 1990s, I heard accidentally mentioned once that ABC was forbidden by the CC. But it wasn’t something often heard from the pulpit. I thought, this might be some obscure law, not really important, nobody talks of it. Then, I had a colleague whose dad was teacher at a prestigious Catholic school, attached to a 1000-year old Benedictine monastery in Hungary. Somehow ABC came up, and I asked him - what’s the deal with ABC? Is it really forbidden? He replied, it’s officially forbidden, but it’s allowed unofficially. And I thought to myself, the Catholic Church is ridiculous. It’s not a serious institution, if it can’t put out one unequivocal doctrine and stick with it.

Of course, I was poorly catechized at that time. Today I know better. The Catholic Church always forbade ABC, and always sticked with it. But the teaching failed to reach a lot of laypeople. There are dissenting Catholic priests who disagree with the doctrine, they sabotage their duty, and don’t teach the flock. I know I was mightily confused by the apparent lack of clear teaching, and many people might be in a similar situation today. We need to speak out and teach people on the issue, whenever we have an occasion.


#15

[quote="shinytoy, post:13, topic:236625"]
is this right? maybe the priests dont talk about these things nowadays? when was the last time you heard a sermon about sexual immorality? in my local NO mass, about 70% of the congregation who are unmarried are living with a partner and often bring them to mass, where they stand wearing miniskirts, leggings and revealing attire, holding hands during the service. they are likely fornicating and usign birth control.

do you think the priest is really gonna say these things are wrong, condoms are wrong etc when he knows it will drive away the majority of youngsters fromt he church? by youngsters i mean those under 70.

[/quote]

It might drive away some.. but it will continue do drive away even more if its not being said. The religions that are growing fastest in the current times are the ones that take themselves seriously. The more liberal, the more people leave .. and why shouldn't they?

They wanna find a church which is credible, so many join Evangelical or Fundamentalist churches, because these at least preach the Gospel and take damnation seriously.

In our very "enlightened" West we see young educated people taking the tribal faith of Islam.. why? because they are in a huge void and identity crisis. In the Muslim they find somebody who is in error but who at least is convinced.
Many have been baptised as children but their families and societies have starved them spiritually and morally through feeding them the empty calories of "everything goes, as long as you feel good".

People don't need the church to be some sort of social club.. they can go to a bar or a soccor-clup for that.. they need the radical Gospel preached and practiced.
I believe the Church, top down, need to change things, tighten the rules for whom can join the leadership.

I have friends that are seminarians who escaped from other seminaries where they said: its not unlikely that a man will be educated for ten years, then come out a priest who has no personal relationship with Jesus Christ.

People can't give what they don't have. And as hierarchal as the Catholic Church is, the lack of teaching and preaching is the main responsibility of the clergy.


#16

[quote="agbasinger, post:1, topic:236625"]
A few days ago this story started popping up in a number of major newspapers. The Guttmacher Institute found that between 2006-2008, 98% of Catholic women used birth control not condoned by the Church, leaving a small 2% that used NFP.

I found the study and read it, and I think that the numbers are closer to 87% of Catholic women using ABC.

What does it mean when the sheep do not listen to the shepherds?

[/quote]

The Guttenmacher Institute is owned and operated by Planned Parenthood. So, bias is alreayd present.

Certainly many Catholics violate the Sixth Commandment on a regular basis by using contraception or sterilization, however, this study has a number of flaws. Also, you did not note that 11% of Catholic respondents stated they use "no method". So, your 98% number is wrong. Also, this is self-identified as Catholic, so this could be Mary Sue who says she's Catholic b/c she had First Holy Communion 20 years ago and has never been in a Catholic Church since. A full 40% of these women who identify themselves as Catholic never or rarely go to Church and another huge chunk who chose "monthly". And only 30% who chose weekly.

Also, I do know from other studies that people lie about religious practice b/c they don't want to look bad. So maybe they never go to Church but they say "sometimes" or they go on Christmas and Easter, but they say "monthly" or "weekly" because they know they are supposed to go more frequently.

Yes, there are many who disobey the Church, but looking overall at the other characteristics of the study it isn't only contraception they are ignoring. They are ignoring all the precepts and doctrines of the Church else they would be at Mass every week.

So, don't focus so much on this survey which is a propaganda item.


#17

I saw that the overall number was flawed. If you add the no-method plus the NFP, you get 13%. Assuming that the 7,000ish women did not lie about thier religious convinction and thier reproductive choices, that is 87%.

Another interesting tidbit comes from the section of how often they attend church. Only 30% of Catholic women in the survey attended Church weekly.


#18

The data was gathered via the National Center for Health Statistics, a department within the CDC, and very reputable organization. The Guttmacher Institute has co-authored, presented, and reported on a large amount of surveys for the CDC. It stands to reason that they present credible information.

And yes, people can make data talk. The 8-page report is interesting methods section is solid.


#19

LOL :smiley:

Shinytoy, yours is one of the worst church experiences I have ever heard of.

I think it’s a testament to the Holy Spirit’s miraculous power that you haven’t fallen away from the Catholic Church.

Here at CAF you are at a good place. Posters here have a zeal about fidelity to the teachings (Magisterium) of the Catholic Church.

I was thinking along the lines of GraceDK’s excellent post (quote: “It might drive away some… but it will continue do drive away even more if its not being said”), trying to find this similarly themed speech by Michael Voris:

youtube.com/watch?v=RQlgoz-ZO9s

Voris makes the point that we need to be presented with correct teaching, even if it’s difficult. We need to hear the whole truth in its splendor - because TRUTH has a beauty, boldness, and power that will attract sincere people, in a way that adulterated, watered down teaching and half-truths never will.

It’s a difficult teaching, and difficult commandments to say, don’t masturbate, don’t fornicate, don’t use birth control pills. Yet, it does have the beauty of truth about it, and ultimately, only true teaching will leave our souls fulfilled and satisfied.


#20

I would be interested to look at a similar report from a large Catholic statistical gathering operation. If the same questions were asked to the same population and the numbers came back dramatically different, I would be inclined to say that it wasn’t a bias in the representation of the study as much as it is a human error in true representation. What I mean is, people lie when they feel like something is on the line.

Catholics do not need to impress the statisticians at NCHS. Now if they were talking to a major Catholic statistical service, they would have a stronger motive to not tell the truth.


DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.