9th Beatitude?

I've got a question regarding the Beatitudes. Usually you hear that there are 8. However, I'm a religion teacher and the textbook has a 9th beatitude

"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

This one comes right after the rest.

Is there a wrong answer to this? I had a parent ask why I told them to make flash cards for 9 Beatitudes when she could only find 8.

This seems to fit with what is considered the 8th

"Blessed are they that suffer persecution for justice' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

newadvent.org/cathen/02371a.htm

I agree with you that this one is separate. I think 8 is more about imprisonment or being thrown out of the Temple, stuff like that.

That sounds like it is the 8th. Can you list here all 9 of the “beatitudes” from your textbook, so we can sort the odd one out?

The Catechism has nine, but “My Catholic Faith” book has eight beatitudes; maybe the persecution ones were connected together before and now no?

Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are you when men revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven.

1. The Eight Beatitudes:
    catholicbook.com/AgredaCD/MyCatholicFaith/mcfc046.htm

CCC 1716
vatican.va/archive/ENG0015/__P5I.HTM

amsjj :slight_smile:

+++
Jesus, God and man,
imprisoned by love in Thy most holy Sacrament,
have mercy upon us.

• Blessed John Henry Newman, December 22, 1851

Tú y yo sabemos por la fe que oculto en las especies sacramentales está Cristo,
ese Cristo con su Cuerpo, con su Sangre, con su Alma, y con su Divinidad,
prisonero de amor.

• San Josemaría Escrivá, 1 junio 1974

… Our Lord Himself frequently said; and it is recorded as an Apostolic tradition from Him by St. Justin the Martyr. He says ‘Jesus often said, “They who are near Me are near a fire”’.

• Abp. W. B. Ullathorne, August 1st 1886

1 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

2"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

3"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

4"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

5"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

6"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

7"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

8 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

9 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

[quote="cap76, post:6, topic:312561"]
1 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

2"Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

3"Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

4"Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

5"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

6"Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

7"Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

8 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

9 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

[/quote]

8 & 9 seem very similar ...IMO

The 8th beatitude quotes a blessing for having been persecuted etc, for the sake of righteousness. Then it states,“theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven” to me this means their final and eternal existence will be in Heaven.

The 9th Beatitude quotes a blessing for having been persecuted, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me… (Jesus). Then it states, Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Do we not consider the words of Jesus seriously, since every word he speaks proceeds from the mouth of God. I then propose that there are two different meanings presented, and the difference is plain to see. Just read and compare the two.

They both mention “persecute” which makes them seem very similar, but if you don’t focus entirely on that you can see that it does seem to have a slightly different meaning. They still seem a bit too similar in my opinion though. Number 8 could be removed and you’d still get the same meaning from the Beatitudes since number 9 is basically just an expanded version. Removing 9 and leaving 8 would be bad though, since 9 has more detail.

I hope I can make it to number 3 someday.

-Tim-

Yes, persecution is the gist of it, but the reference to the prophets has removed it from the singular to others as well as “You”. But the real difference is in the blessing alone. One is the name of your final destination, the desire of all who love God and come to know Jesus as their Savior. The other is referenced as a great reward in Heaven. And again I remind you, EVERY WORD that proceeds from the mouth of God . God does not waste his words, nor does he promise the same thing twice in these two beatitudes.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.