A 16 year old sets the liturgists straight [Fr. Z]

I invite you to read this letter from a 16 year old to the edtion of the Georgia Bulletin, the Archdiocese of Atlanta’s newpaper.

My **emphases **and comments.

Letter to the Editor

Published: September 20, 2007

To the Editor:

I am 16 years old, and for the past 11 months I have attended the traditional Latin Mass weekly, while still attending the Novus Ordo Mass during the week. Because of this, I decided to address certain points made by Carroll Sterne in the Sept. 6 edition of The Georgia Bulletin. Mr. Sterne speaks about the type of Mass that someone of a younger generation is drawn to, and I thought that a teenager’s point of view might be helpful.

Mr. Sterne in his letter gives voice to the opinion of many of today’s liturgists **[This kid has it nailed.] **when he says that no one from a younger generation would be drawn to the Latin Mass (many take this even further and assume that we would not like a reverent Novus Ordo Mass either). This opinion causes many of those who plan modern liturgies to do veritable back flips in an attempt to draw teenagers and young adults in. Sometimes this works, but it has a side effect: by doing these things, liturgists show that they have absolutely no faith in the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass to change the lives of those in my generation. **[Right!] **My generation knows about this lack of faith, we are able to see it every time we go to a “teen Mass” and experience priests ad-libbing prayers in an attempt to make them more relevant to us. *[Exactly. As Pope Benedict explains in Sacramentum caritatis, we are our rites. If we stick to the rites, celebrate them well, and get out (especially priests) individual personalities out of the way, we have a great opportunity to encounter the mystery which transforms, the very point of religion.]

This lack of faith backfires; it sends us the message that we also should distrust the power of the liturgy, and it also can turn the Mass into something of a joke.

After experiencing this for months, I attended a Traditional Latin Mass and experienced something that I’d never seen before: Here was a priest who expected my life to be changed without adding anything to the Mass in an attempt to bring this change about. This priest had perfect faith in the power of the liturgy, and it showed. It was beautiful. The traditional Mass did more to change my life then any “relevant” teen Mass ever did.

Ethan Milukas, Peachtree City

Yet another lesson to be learned from the fruits of Summorum Pontificum.

Full entry…

I absolutely agree with Ethan Milukas.
I am 22 years old, and a faithful lover of the Traditional Mass for three years now.

I LOVE AND SUPPORT THE TRADITIONAL LATIN MASS

Pax
Laudater Jesus Christus
Instaurare omnia in Christo

I am 20 years old and I also love the Tridentine Mass. If it was good enough for the Church for 15 centuries, then it is good enough for my generation.

Ethan hit it on the head there. I’m 21 years old, and have been going to the TLM for 8 months now. During these 8 months I have learned more about my Catholic faith, and discovered treasures that I never knew existed before going to the traditional parish every week.

What I think is weird about the whole thing is, my youngers brothers and I prefer the Traditional Latin Mass, but my grandmother (who is 86 years old) or mother prefers the Novus Ordo. I really think the younger generation will push for more orthodoxy in the church.

Hi!! Thank you for your wonderful insight. I truly agree with you. I am a Mother Granmother and GreatGrandmother. I am really enjoying the return of the Tridentine Mass. I have missed it all these years. We moved around over the years and sometimes you had to stretch your mind to think the mass was authentic because it was different from parish to parish. It became hardly recognizable from a protestant church in many cases. My husband is hard of hearing and he prefers the Novus Ordo Mass so we go to both. It works for us.
God Bless you
Granny Nanny #1

After experiencing this for months, I attended a Traditional Latin Mass and experienced something that I’d never seen before: Here was a priest who expected my life to be changed without adding anything to the Mass in an attempt to bring this change about. This priest had perfect faith in the power of the liturgy, and it showed. It was beautiful. The traditional Mass did more to change my life then any “relevant” teen Mass ever did.

Ethan Milukas, Peachtree City
Yet another lesson to be learned from the fruits of Summorum Pontificum.

I am Eastern Rite, and our youth love the Divine Liturgy. My husband who is a deacon and I are always telling our Roman Catholic friends that LESS IS NOT MORE! This young person grasps that meaning.

A Prostent friend of our son who attended the DL at our Church, said “I have y’all figured out. You are all about the mystery, love, and respect of God.”

When you have removed everything and have got to the point that you think you must ENTERTAIN people in the Mass, then you have removed the mystery the God. Saying we can comprehend God. Nope, only a tiny bit. He is far beyond our comprehension and understanding. WE walk by faith, not by sight!

Pax vobiscum!

The kid nailed it right on! I am glad that letter got published and I hope a lot of liturgists read it and start planning more reverent NO Masses.

In Christ,
Rand

I think he wrote a terrific letter…:thumbsup:

I am 14 years old, and I love the TLM. I cannot stand guitars at Mass or inane homilies.

i totally agree! i’m 15 and a couple of my friends would love to see NO masses here in the LA Archdiocese that are reverent!

I’m 21 and, although I don’t get much opportunity to attend it, I love the Extraordinary Form of the Mass.

Pax Tecum,
Zach

I’m 21 and although I’ve never been to a TLM, I can’t wait to go. I have seen it on EWTN as well as several times on youtube. There is no doubt in my mind that when I move, I will attend only the TLM. Funny, because Paul VI thought his missal would bring in protestant converts, and its actually the TLM this former Southern Baptist wants to go to.

I think what the guitar and bongo folks don’t really understand is that trying to make the liturgy and music “modern” is futile because “modern” changes so fast.

What was “cool” and “relevant” music a couple years ago is already passe.

How many of you teenagers and 20-somethings think the guitar and jazz band stuff at Mass is “cool”?

Better to have music that has an eternal beauty to it than music that has passed into the garbage bin of popular culture 30-40 years ago.

This is awesome to read and all you young people writing here who agree - way to go! :thumbsup: Someone mentioned the grandmother who likes the NO, but to be honest, the oldsters got used to it. I am in between, blessed to have grown up in the 50’s when we had reverent Masses. (Don’t tell me about the exceptions.) I went along with all the changes until I had a spiritual “awakening” and was drawn back to all the traditions I had learned.

24 here (almost 25) and absolutely love the TLM. I generally attend a very reverent NO because the TLM is not offered at a very convenient time for me, but if I had the choice I would go there every time.

I am glad that the truth is told sometimes, but lets pray this happens in millions of newspapers, radios, magazines so that they may see what devotion to God will cause!

A beautifully written piece indeed.

I do hope the younger generation continues to voice itself and it’s desire for the Traditional Latin Mass.

It will be an uphill struggle to overcome the entrenched modernists.

The church needs all the help she can get.

James

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.