A 2 part question for discussion

WHY do you suppose the RCC has:

1. A Mass [are you aware of what this means?]

2. And then makes it mandatory at least on Sunday’s and Holy Day’s of Obligation?

God Bless you

Patrick

1. It’s Christ’s sacrifice re-presented before the Father. People take part in it and receive grace from it. It’s also derived from the catholic interpretation of John 6, where Jesus says to eat his flesh and drink his blood.

2. To keep it in remembrance. The same reason any other religion has you do things on certain days. If you take part in it once in a while or not at all, you don’t get benefits from the Mass.

The Holy Mass is the most important prayer of the Church. It is during Mass that we receive our Manna, our Spiritual food. Just as our bodies need food, so also our souls and we receive this spiritual nourishment during Mass.
We do this because Jesus asked that we do so in remembrance of Him.
The Church makes it mandatory because, as a mother, she knows what is good for our spiritual health.

thank you!:slight_smile:

Thank you

We have to be careful here that your not misunderstood:

The Eucharist IS, is Jesus Chcrist in Person: Bodly, Blood Soul and Divinirty:thumbsup:

Yes, the Eucharist is indeed Christ Himself!
It is a wonder we do not pack the churches to receive Him each and every single day!

Is it OK for me a non-Catholic to admit I have asked that same question? It is also a wonder that there is such a shortage of priests.

I think there is sacrifice involved for a Catholic priest. I think many would love to be a priest but do not want to remain celibate for life. Just my personal opinion.

On the Eucharist I have no idea why more people aren’t showing up. I know plenty of protestants and I think I can safely say that they- probably you too, Wannano- would be there worshiping and receiving Jesus daily if you honestly believed our Church teaching.

That is the logical conclusion isn’t it. For myself, I can only say that I can and want to worship and receive Jesus not only daily but every moment with each breath. He lives within us 24/7 but I know I stifle Him with my disobedience so often. How wonderful is it that Jesus never forsakes or leaves us for He understands that we are like Peter who also denied Him.

To challenge you a little I would suggest you have answered yourself in the second paragraph. The answer to the quandary in the first sentence is answered by the second sentence. Agree?

I wish the meaning of the mass was better taught to our children… I’ve said it before on another topic but I think people tend to be more concerned about whether a child is sitting still and behaving at mass and once that’s achieved it’s just assumed they appreciate and understand what’s going on. I didn’t even begin to understand the mass until I was an adult despite going to a Catholic school.

Indeed it is:eek:

GBY

Perhaps.

We live a time of “MEISM”

The “Self” has largely replaced our God, BUT there is HOPE

REFLECTIONS ON TODAY’S MARCH FOR LIFE
The numbers of abortions is reported to have deceased by some”11%”
in 2016
by Patrick Miron

As I watched and participated in today’s “closing Mass” for the “March FOR Life” televised by EWTN I was deeply moved and personally edified. I was renewed in the Theological Virtues of Faith, Hope and Love.

In “Faith” by the sheer numbers of participants and their orderly conduct, so fitting of Christian example.

This is an illustration of how we are all called, in some matter unique to us and God’s expectations for each of us, to live our lives for Christ in the public forum

Mark.4:21 And he said to them, "Is a lamp brought in to be put under a bushel, or under a bed, and not on a stand? & 5: 15 nor do men light a lamp and put it under a bushel, but on a stand, and it gives light to all In the house

In Hope by the large numbers of young people; especially the number of teenagers in evidence by the sheer numbers of young adults present AND their personal piety; yet another example for ALL to see.

It was evident that the younger folks led in the example of “Receiving Christ on their tongue”; rather than in their hands, And Many genuflected, and some even knelt to receive their GOD.

“What’s wrong” with receiving Holy Communion in one/s hand you ask? NOTHING! It is a valid and licit freewill choice to do so. BUT there is theologically a HUGE difference.
Receiving in one’s hand is “Taking Christ”; but Is there a better way? While receiving on the Tongue is RECEIVING Christ. …. Are WE really worthy of holding Christ in our hands?

1Cor.11: 23 to 30 “For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me. "For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For anyone who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. That is why many of you are weak and ill, and some have died. [MEANS have freely chosen eternal hell without repentance & conversion]

Also knowing with great gratitude, the example and sacrifices of parents and the Church in aiding the Rock-Solid-Catholic Faith formation of the consciences of these young people.

In Love by the sacrifices that ALL these people made to make evident their beliefs, and to live brightly their Christian faith; as evidenced by their sacrifice and commitment to the unborn AND the Sacrament of Marriage, so derailed in our day.

John.13:34 A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another

Rom.13: 8 Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law

1Thes.4: 9 But concerning love of the brethren you have no need to have any one write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love one another;

1Pet.1: 22 Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere love of the brethren, love one another earnestly from the heart.

THANK YOU JESUS, AND THANK YOU OUR MOTHER OF THE UNBORN: AMEN! And thanks to all those who cared enough [and were able] to live our Faith so boldly with such commitment!

“Hail Mary, full of Grace; pray for US sinners now and at the hour of OUR death”

“If you love Me, keep My Commandment; Thou Shalt NOT Kill”

With gratitude,
Patrick Miron

Ahhhh, I suspect your reply “Jesus lives in us” MIGHT be indicative of a TRUE misunderstanding; that we Catholics [and Christ Himself:** John 6 ;47-58 & 1st Cor 11:23-30, are being Literal and your speaking of the “Spirit of Christ”.

Which is better?

A promise for a billion dollars, or say, a Million in CASH in your hand?

THAT my friend is the difference of which We Catholics speak:thumbsup:

As for tjhe issue of celebacy and the Catholic Priesthood:

God has PROMISED to give those who FREELY choose return this GIFT back to God; sufficient grace to be able to live that commitment. And that He does do so is evidenced by the Millions of priest & religious who have done so and CONTINUE to do so In His GRACE:)

Any thing GOOD is protected by God

Blessings

Patrick

THAT"S WHY God created parents like me and you:)

And I certainly agree with you!

Blessings

Patrick

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.