A blizzard's coming - what did you buy at the store and what will you cook?

Did you buy bread, milk and toilet paper? Those are the classic things to buy around here, so much so that the state lottery had a bread, milk & TP-themed scratch-off game a couple of years ago.

Is there some crazy thing you just aren’t comfortable without when a big snowstorm is on the way? For me, it’s Bisquick. Even if we run out of bread, we can make biscuits, pancakes and coffee cake. :slight_smile:

Do you plan to cook something special? Do you make cakes or cookies, or soup or something in the crockpot?

I went through my Foodgawker favorites yesterday and decided on a Hungarian goulash style pot roast in the crock pot for Saturday. I bought a really lovely hunk of meat and the rest of the ingredients at the store today.

I also got some chicken legs to fry up, and I have the stuff for spaghetti and meatballs if I get really ambitious.

What did you buy?
What will you cook?

Betsy

I bought a new pair of flip-flops, going to hit the 80s this weekend I heard.:smiley:

[quote="baltobetsy, post:1, topic:185688"]
Did you buy bread, milk and toilet paper? Those are the classic things to buy around here, so much so that the state lottery had a bread, milk & TP-themed scratch-off game a couple of years ago.

Is there some crazy thing you just aren't comfortable without when a big snowstorm is on the way? For me, it's Bisquick. Even if we run out of bread, we can make biscuits, pancakes and coffee cake. :)

Do you plan to cook something special? Do you make cakes or cookies, or soup or something in the crockpot?

I went through my Foodgawker favorites yesterday and decided on a Hungarian goulash style pot roast in the crock pot for Saturday. I bought a really lovely hunk of meat and the rest of the ingredients at the store today.

I also got some chicken legs to fry up, and I have the stuff for spaghetti and meatballs if I get really ambitious.

What did you buy?
What will you cook?

Betsy

[/quote]

Don't get a lot of blizzards here, but if I do in the future, Betsy is going to be in charge of making the food while we ride it out. :)

There’s a name for guys like you, but I can’t repeat it here:thumbsup:

Is there some crazy thing you just aren't comfortable without when a big snowstorm is on the way? For me, it's Bisquick. Even if we run out of bread, we can make biscuits, pancakes and coffee cake. :)

What did you buy?
What will you cook?

Betsy

[/quote]

Blizzards a blowin' and the chili pot is on the stove, logs are brought in for the fire, beer is on the back porch barely kept from freezing, The wife bundled in her felt blanket reading, the two dogs sleeping on their blankets in the living room, the cat sitting on the top of the bookcase observing everything. The Game is on TV. Dang I hate winter:D

[quote="Mike_Dye, post:4, topic:185688"]
There's a name for guys like you, but I can't repeat it here:thumbsup:

[/quote]

It comes at a cost though, I have to put up with "hell" for 3 months. But at least I can go out in the morning or evening.

What did you buy?
What will you cook?

Betsy

[/quote]

Hmmm...just reading/submitted a post on the VEGAN/raw food diet group. Your menu sounds fantastic (don't tell them!)
I wouldn't need to cook, b/c I plan to eat raw very soon:D
Not trying to be a party pooper, but if I ate like that b/c of health issues I'd end up in the hospital...but you go, girl!

Biscuits, soup, spaghetti and Ore-Ida Tater Tots.

:harp:

Its coming, it was starting to snow on my way home this morning. It doesn't really matter I will have to work no matter what the weather, even in a level 3 snow emergency I can just flash my badge and go :(

We buy most things in bulk anyway, so never a need to worry. My kids will probably bake some cookies or something, dinner will be whatever someone other than me cooks ;).

my knee is jerking in response, how well I recall those years, scarred after my first experienced marooned in a blizzard with 3 under age 5, no transport, hubby out of town. 1974 as I recall. can you say “lake effect” boys and girls?

bisquik I agree, and powdered milk, oil and eggs
would not buy meat as you might have to use up what you have if the power goes out on the freezer
we had a gas stove at that time that did not rely on an electric starter so we were okay there but it did get cold. neighbor gave us a kerosene heater. I knew enough not to rely on the kitchen stove for heat, and to ventilate.

dragging the kids on a sled 3 miles to the grocery and back was no fun
so for years I kept a blizzard stockpile

now I keep a hurricane stockpile
there are a lot more MRE type meals and foods available now such as tuna and chicken in packets or cans that don’t require a can opener.

the only difference is with hurricanes you have to be ready to evacuate and take 3 days food and water in the car

Make sure your Ipod/MP3 player and Game boy are charged. You'll than have something to do if the power goes out.

Sounds silly, but it works.

What did you buy?
What will you cook?

Betsy

[/quote]

Streets were busy even around 9pm last night coming out of church. We buy the usual - milk, bread, eggs, cheese, toilet paper. Then there's the one on Tuesday...

The Super Bowl is coming so I got 3 pounds of shrimp to make my world’s famous N’Awlins Barbeque Shrimp!! :smiley: Gotta have priorities.

There’s a blizzard coming? Where? :eek:

What should I get?

I’m looking forward to this storm over here in the far western suburbs of DC. Nothing like walking around in a couple feet of snow and shoveling is fun and good exercise. I never understand the rush to the stores before a storm. I guess I hoard things – I usually have several months supply of toilet paper and enough canned/boxed food and meat in the freezer to last a long time.

Here are some good tips for dealing with the storm though. I saw a lot of them employed last weekend when I was unfortunate enough to have to drive to a wedding in Baltimore in the snow.

technosailor.com/2005/01/23/10-rules-for-dealing-with-snow/

[quote="puzzleannie, post:10, topic:185688"]

bisquik I agree, and powdered milk, oil and eggs
would not buy meat as you might have to use up what you have if the power goes out on the freezer

[/quote]

Well being over here next to Baltimore we're preparing to be nailed again. We went to the store and bought munchies and normal food. If the power goes out and the freezer turns off, we'll just put the food outside, it's not going to be above freezing for close to a week... that'll give the power company enough time to get the power back on.

Doritos and brownies here. I like to snack!

I did buy TP, we were almost out. I went to Target last night, and while I’m not going to bake, I think I was the only one! The powederd sugar and brown sugar were GONE!

I think I’m going to make beef stew today. And I did buy extra 1/2 gallon of milk because DD likes to play in the snow and have hot chocolate.

Soup. That’s a damn fine idea. guess I’ll be sending the husband back to the grocery store so I can make some chicken noodle soup~

[quote="NoAvailableName, post:15, topic:185688"]
I'm looking forward to this storm over here in the far western suburbs of DC. Nothing like walking around in a couple feet of snow and shoveling is fun and good exercise. I never understand the rush to the stores before a storm. I guess I hoard things -- I usually have several months supply of toilet paper and enough canned/boxed food and meat in the freezer to last a long time.

[/quote]

Seriously, I don't understand the compulsion to "stock up" ahead of a snowstorm around here. Even in the worst-case scenario, stores would open up less than 48 hours after the storm ends. Are there really so many people who keep less than a 2-day supply of toilet paper on hand?

On the other hand, I am very worried about my friends who have to work today (and maybe tomorrow). They do not have cars and they work on the other side of the city, meaning that if they do not get off work early, they face long and dangerous walks through blizzard conditions around midnight. :( Hoping that this storm does not turn catastrophic...

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.