A book about NFP for a protestant couple

I have friend getting married soon. I want to get him a book that explains why contraception is wrong, but mainly how to go about the whole thing in a better way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

There is a small booklet type of book written by a Protestant couple about why and how they went about using NFP. I read it, and it's a good easy read and may relate to a Protestant better than some of the Catholic sources out there. It is called "Open Embrace" by Sam & Bethany Torode.

If they are both protestant, why are you sticking your nose into their birth control methods? Did they ask for this info?

How is anyone to learn about NFP if no one mentions it to them? There's nothing wrong with just bringing the subject up. I was Lutheran and when I was I had never even heard of NFP, it certainly was never mentioned in any conversations, sermons or classes when talking about relationships. I wish it had been.

If you want to give your friends some insight into NFP I would recommend the book taking charge of your fertility by Toni Weschler tcoyf.com/.It is'nt Catholic but it could give them food for thought!

[quote="BrokenFortress, post:2, topic:197011"]
There is a small booklet type of book written by a Protestant couple about why and how they went about using NFP. I read it, and it's a good easy read and may relate to a Protestant better than some of the Catholic sources out there. It is called "Open Embrace" by Sam & Bethany Torode.

[/quote]

This is definitely NOT a good book to give them, since both Sam and Bethany Torode have recanted their stance on NFP, and no longer advocate its use.

Taking Charge of Your Fertility might not be the best option, either, as it advocates FAM and not NFP, meaning that barrier methods are encouraged during fertile times. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the book and think that it is in many ways more useful than my Couple to Couple League book, but I would probably not give it to someone who doesn't have a foundation in the moral theology of NFP.

I've never seen this, but I wonder if it could be good: ourfatherswillcommunications.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TOTBMC&Product_Code=GS01&Category_Code=TOB

Oh, hadn’t even heard that. That’s too bad :frowning:

[quote="GIR, post:1, topic:197011"]
I have friend getting married soon. I want to get him a book that explains why contraception is wrong, but mainly how to go about the whole thing in a better way. Does anyone have any suggestions?

[/quote]

Unless your protestant friend specifically asked for this information, this is about as far from being any of your business as anything I could possibly imagine.

What other intimate areas of his life do you intend to stick you nose into?

Yeah, it was about four years ago. They released a letter saying that they have rejected NFP.

I looked it up yesterday after you posted that. From what I can see, I believe they're now divorced as well. Bethany has an active blog and no where does she mention him, so I assume what I read is true.

It's still unfortunate that more Protestants don't know of other alternatives to birth control. And funny how not that long ago they all were against it.

[quote="BrokenFortress, post:11, topic:197011"]
I looked it up yesterday after you posted that. From what I can see, I believe they're now divorced as well. Bethany has an active blog and no where does she mention him, so I assume what I read is true.

It's still unfortunate that more Protestants don't know of other alternatives to birth control. And funny how not that long ago they all were against it.

[/quote]

Yeah, I checked out her blog, and she apparently filed for divorce in 2008. You know, I was familiar with her other writings, and I never liked her. Not just her writings, but her personally. Now I feel guilty about that.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.