A book named Thomas?

I remember hearing about a book that is not in the Bible named Thomas. I think it was “supposed” to be in the Gospels. Matthew, Mark, Luke, John.

However, it was not put in the Bible?

Is this a myth or is there history about this “Book”??

Thanks.
God Bless.

The writings known as ‘The Gospel of Thomas’ are very likely a late adoption of Christian writings by gnostics.

The book is not a myth and the text can be found here

gnosis.org/naghamm/gthlamb.html

on a website that favours the Gospel of Thomas being quite early which I do not agree with.

However I find some of the sayings quite interesting and would like to think some of the sayings go back to Jesus but there is no clear linkage and the writings are probably quite late.

Some of the verses are very similar to text in the original Gospels and some a strange derivation.

The text is quite brief with little narrative and an absence of detailed descriptions of Jewish culture and placenames. The few characters that are mentioned are quite shallow which is a good indication they are not known by the writer.

Some of the verses are very similar to text in the original Gospels and some a strange derivation.

Read verse 13 :

… Jesus said to his disciples, “Compare me to someone and tell me whom I am like.”
Simon Peter said to him, “You are like a righteous angel.”
Matthew said to him, “You are like a wise philosopher.”
Thomas said to him, “Master, my mouth is wholly incapable of saying whom you are like Jesus said, “I am not your master. Because you have drunk, you have become intoxicated from the bubbling spring which I have measured out.”
And he took him and withdrew and told him three things. When Thomas returned to his companions, they asked him, “What did Jesus say to you?”
Thomas said to them, “If I tell you one of the things which he told me, you will pick up stones and throw them at me; a fire will come out of the stones and burn you up.” .” …

It has been mentioned that Peter’s response and Mathews response could be veiled references (and put-downs) of the gospel of Mark (Peter’s scribe) and Matthew.

Certainly those gospels are much fuller. much more well attested and known by the early Church. contain vastly more historical information and detail.

Verse 13 might be the Gnostics way of supposing the Thomas writings are better than Mark (Peter) and Matthew.

Of course this would mean that those gospels would have to be written first,

Here is one of the Catholic Answers responses to a question on this book:

catholic.com/quickquestions/why-isnt-the-gospel-of-thomas-in-the-bible

It is quite an amusing text to read, but no, it was not supposed to be in the canon. It is merely one of the dozens of pieces which floated around the early Christian world.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.