A calling to the priesthood?

Hello, lately I have been thinking more and more about the priesthood. Here is some information about me. I am 19 years old and I have just finished my first year of college as a biochemistry major and also premed. I have a strong interest for medicine and for helping people. My plans are to finish college strong and head for medical school and maybe become an emergency room doctor. I am from a very devout Catholic Polish family, the Catholic faith is pretty strong in my household and family. My faith has been rocky over the past years, I have had periods of time where I would be very devout and pray often but then I would also have times where I would fall off the path. This falling off the path happened during my first year of college, I admit that I only went to mass once and it was for Ash Wednesday and my prayer life totally feel apart. This happened to me because all of my friends that I would associate with were not religious at all and I began to follow their example, one of my roommates is also an atheist. There was never any mention of God, Jesus, or going to mass among us. Even though all this happened, I still always had the thought of God existing in the back of my mind and this brought comfort to me. I am currently turning back to God. I am enhancing my prayer life through meditation and contemplation on God and Jesus in a quiet place. I plan on going to Confession soon to get even closer to God, it has been about a year since I last went. Lately, during these meditation sessions, I keep having the thought of the priesthood coming into my head. It comes out of no where and these thoughts bring great comfort and happiness to me when I think of it, but I am unsure if I am being called to this. I am starting to think that there is nothing more important in life than serving God and getting to heaven, so why not devout one’s whole life? On the other hand, I have a great interest in medicine. I am unsure of what I am really being called to do. Right now I feel divided. How does one truly know if they are being called to be a priest? Would it be possible to be both a doctor and a priest? My grandmother, who is extremely devout, said she always prayed for either my brother or I to become a priest. Thank you.

There is another thread on discernment for the priesthood here. Try checking in on that.

Find a good priest, or even the Vocations Director for your diocese, and talk to him. Tell him what you told us here and ask for his thoughts, advice, and guidance.

Pray to God every day for his will to be made known to you. Go to Mass at least on Sundays, more often if your schedule allows, and go to confession regularly. God’s blesssings be with you as you discern your future.

[quote="Pow123, post:1, topic:285860"]
Hello, lately I have been thinking more and more about the priesthood. Here is some information about me. I am 19 years old and I have just finished my first year of college as a biochemistry major and also premed. I have a strong interest for medicine and for helping people. My plans are to finish college strong and head for medical school and maybe become an emergency room doctor. I am from a very devout Catholic Polish family, the Catholic faith is pretty strong in my household and family. My faith has been rocky over the past years, I have had periods of time where I would be very devout and pray often but then I would also have times where I would fall off the path. This falling off the path happened during my first year of college, I admit that I only went to mass once and it was for Ash Wednesday and my prayer life totally feel apart. This happened to me because all of my friends that I would associate with were not religious at all and I began to follow their example, one of my roommates is also an atheist. There was never any mention of God, Jesus, or going to mass among us. Even though all this happened, I still always had the thought of God existing in the back of my mind and this brought comfort to me. I am currently turning back to God. I am enhancing my prayer life through meditation and contemplation on God and Jesus in a quiet place. I plan on going to Confession soon to get even closer to God, it has been about a year since I last went. Lately, during these meditation sessions, I keep having the thought of the priesthood coming into my head. It comes out of no where and these thoughts bring great comfort and happiness to me when I think of it, but I am unsure if I am being called to this. I am starting to think that there is nothing more important in life than serving God and getting to heaven, so why not devout one's whole life? On the other hand, I have a great interest in medicine. I am unsure of what I am really being called to do. Right now I feel divided. How does one truly know if they are being called to be a priest? Would it be possible to be both a doctor and a priest? My grandmother, who is extremely devout, said she always prayed for either my brother or I to become a priest. Thank you.

[/quote]

Hi There,
Just to put my reply into context, I am currently along the path of discernment for the priesthood and hoping to apply to seminary soon.

To first respond to your question about being a priest and a doctor - I believe this is possible. There are various religious orders with charisms that involve education, preaching, looking after the poor & the sick etc.

In terms of discernment the best thing to do for the moment is continue with your studies, find a good spiritual director/confessor, also return to regular prayer and the sacraments. I guarantee that if you pray and obtain regular confession the will of God in your life will become much clearer.

Also try to pray in front of the blessed sacrament for guidance...and basically just ask the Lord what His will for you is. Tell him you trust Him and you want to do what He wants. Gradually it will become clear what He wants of you...because you will want it too.
God never communicates His will through fear...rather through the desires of our own hearts.

God Bless you.

I will keep you in my prayers...

Adam

closed #5

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.