A Catholic Missal at Mass

I received a nice gift from a Catholic priest about 13 years ago - a St Joseph Sunday Missalo. I bring it to each mass I attend, and follow the mass and of course listen and follow the text of God’s Word (readings and Gospel) . Recently I was told by a Deacon I know at my parish that we are not to read the missal; only to listen to God’s word. I’m confused. When did this go into effect? Why do they even publish Sunday Missals if one is not to bring it to mass. I listen to God’s word during the readings of course, and by reading the text along with hearing only increased God’s Word working through me. If this is new age of Catholicism and not using the missal, what happen to the old ways? Was everybody wrong then? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

You’re making some assumptions about “old” and “new” ways that are not accurate.

The old, preferred way has ALWAYS been to HEARKEN unto the Word of God as it was liturgically proclaimed, not stick your nose in a book.

The use of a pesonal Missal at Mass is a relatively new thing in the Church (hundred years, or so). There was a pastoral purpose for this when the Mass was not in the vernacular.

Obviously, if you are hard of hearing, adaptations have to be made. You can always, in fact, should, read the lessons before Mass.

But if possible, the faithful’s liturgical participation in the Readings is to LISTEN ATTENTIVELY to them being proclaimed.

You must find the best way for you to learn the lesson. Some people learn by auditory means (listening). Other by script, some by kinematic (movement). If there is a better way for you to learn what is being preached, use the better method.

Reading, as a suppliment, is useful when

Your hearing is failing
The acustics are terrible
When the mike cuts out
When children are crying
When you are distracted by music ministers movements behind the ambo
etc etc et

I, for one, listen attentively as I read along in my monthly *Magnifcat (*I used to use a daily missal, but prefer the additional mediations and morning and evening readings and prayers in the Magnificat).

I would thank the good deacon, but point out to him that there are missals, provided by the Church, in the pews for a reason. Aren’t there? Is he saying that we are supposed to guess the commnunion antiphon at the daily noon mass? I think not…

More on this thread: forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=349193

Peace all.

I usually enjoy your posts, bpbasilphx, so please don’t take this as an insult. However, I found your message above rather jarring, as it struck me as somewhat dismissive. I’m sure you didn’t mean it that way, which is why I’m trying to make it clear that it kind of came out that way (if that makes any sense! ;)).

There are quite a few people who, if they’re not actually hard of hearing, still “hear” better if they have the written words in front of them. I attend a Byzantine Catholic church where I sometimes act as cantor - and even though I have 90% of the liturgy memorized, when I’m cantoring, I still need the written words in front of me, just in case my attention gets diverted and I lose my place.

There is nothing intrinsically wrong with wanting to have the liturgy (or the mass) in written form, if it helps you to better receive the verbal proclamation. :thumbsup:

or if you belonged to either of our last two parishes, you could politely tell the deacon, thank you, as soons as you all fix your sound system I won’t need to read along in my missal.

Just smile and thank the Deacon for the information. Then, as others have pointed out, do whatever helps you absorb the Word better. For me, it’s to read along at Mass and this is true even if I have read everything before Mass. For others, they “get” more when they read at home and then listen without the book at Mass. The Church has not declared either way to be the mandated method.

Ignore silly deacon. Read missal. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.