A Catholic Perspective on the game "Darksiders"

I’ve just found out about the game because of the newer Darksiders II trailer. (What was reviewed in the extended trailer peaked my interest.) So I decided to see if youtube had any channels involving the entire gameplay. Sure enough, someone does, and I decided to take a look. I’ll admit I have trepidation involved with this, due to the idea of a “truce” between the Kingdoms of Heaven and Hell being introduced at the beginning of the game; but creative license is a matter which gaming companies seem to enjoy.

I was grateful, though, to find no kind of sexual themes or language aside from what could be considered an instance of low-grade cursing and the mention of the term for “woman of the street.” The violence is, more or less tolerable, since the title character is, after all, War.

I’m just looking for some extra help on whether or not this game, and the story in it, would sit well with a Catholic. Thank you for any feedback that will help me. Take care, and God bless! :slight_smile:

As long as a game with theological themes counter to the teachings of the Church is not intended as a refutation of those teachings, but as a work of fiction meant solely to entertain, I see little problem with playing it.

It’s much like movies such as the ‘Harry Potter’ series, ‘Clash of the Titans’, or any number of exorcist/demonic possession flicks in that it might depict a world that is not in line with (or misrepresents) Catholic belief. But it is not intended to depict reality as the creators of that work see it.

It is entirely possible to enjoy such works without exposing yourself to sin. In fact, many such stories, whether celluloid or digital, can actually act as springboards to deeper thought on what we believe and why. Even if the creators of said work didn’t have that in mind. I myself have been using the latest Batman game as fuel for thought on such diverse subjects as just war all the way to sacrificial love.

I am about 2/3 the way through Darksiders 1. I am very much enjoying it. It is largely a fighting and platforming game.

The game is only losely based on Christian/Jewish/Islamic teachings. I include all three because the principle Angels and Deamons come from all three and are genericzied. Angels fight deamons and vica versa and you fight both. I wouldnt worry about it.

Thanks for the support. Though I wound up answering my own question last night. This is how I put it on my facebook page.

“It’s occurred to me how important it is to know how far “artistic license” can go before it becomes the act of simply dissecting the source and discarding everything else. I did a little research into the video game “Darksiders,” in which War, one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, is summoned prematurely and has to spend the game mending the damage he has done. Though loosely drawing from the Book of Revelations, the game replaced God with the ambiguous “Creator,” who apparently abandoned his (or her, since no gender is given) creations to deal with one another. (Strangely enough, even Satan is no where to be seen. Weird!) Also, using souls as currency, consorting with demons (you buy upgrades for War’s weapons and abilities from a demon, who is more like a mob boss than anything), and attacking angels clearly draws the line for me. I know it’s only a game, but anything, even the simplest action, can influence the world, right? God bless!”

It just occurs to me that it’s hard to involve Judeo-Christian elements and figures and remove God as an important figure. Plus something else I discovered in my research is the Apocalyptic character of Abaddon is depicted as an Archangel who desired to become Hell’s ruler, thinking he had no chance in the trial he would have faced if he returned to Heaven. Such a notion is impossible, since, to my understanding, an angel decides who to follow and does not choose again, ever. (The famous example being the divide between the angels who followed God and those who rebelled with Lucifer.)

I think if the story elements had stayed closer to the source, instead of making it, as I have often read, “a mixture between Legend of Zelda and God of War,” I would be able to enjoy it. For anyone who enjoys the game as is, I’m glad for you.

Thanks again, and God bless! :slight_smile:

Good for you. You’ve done as your conscience and principles dictate and I applaud your decision.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.