A Catholic prayer book

Ok, so is the CTS the same as used in Vatican’s Christmas ceremony? I need the exact same missal because I cannot reach the phone of Tipografia Vaticana (someone here wrote the phone and it is not connected and then I called to Vatican’s operators and they gave me another phone number, but it is also not connected… I do not know what to do! Next Sunday is first Sunday of advent and let us say that clearly, the window is closing!

I have not seen a copy of the CTS New Sunday Missal myself and so I can not say for sure what is in it. However, based on descriptions of the missal that I have read online, I suspect that there will be some parts of the Vatican Christmas Mass at Midnight that are not found in the CTS New Sunday Missal and there will be other parts of the Vatican Mass in various languages that are found in the CTS New Sunday Missal but only in English translation.

The parts of the Vatican Christmas Mass that I suspect are not in the CTS missal include the traditional Christmas carols usually sung at the Vatican Christmas Mass, such as The First Noel (sung in Italian), Silent Night (sung in Italian) and O Come All Ye Faithful (sung in Latin), and the Christmas Proclamation (proclaimed in Latin) at the beginning of the Mass. Also, those parts of the Vatican Christmas Mass which will be composed just for that year’s celebration, such as the Pope’s homily and the various prayer petitions of the Prayer of the Faithful, won’t be in the CTS missal.

The parts of the Vatican Christmas Mass said in various languages that are found in the CTS missal but only in English translation include the First and Second (Scripture) Readings, the Responsorial Psalm and the Gospel Reading.

Nevertheless, since much of the Vatican Christmas Mass will be in Latin and since the CTS New Sunday Missal includes most of those Latin parts in both Latin and English, I think a copy of the CTS New Sunday Missal could be useful to you, not only for the Vatican Christmas Mass at Midnight this year but for Masses for Sundays and Holy Days throughout the year and year after year.

By the way, missals are typically arranged so that the parts that are common (ordinary) to every Mass, including all their available optional forms, are in one section of the missal and the parts that are peculiar (proper) to a particular Sunday or Holy Day are in another section. Consequently, in order to follow any given Mass, you will need to flip back and forth between the common (ordinary) and particular (proper) sections of the missal and skip over any unchosen optional forms within a section. All that flipping and skipping can be confusing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.