A challenge to all Apologetics

How would you respond to this?

I don’t think that statements like that about the Catholic faith should be left unchallenged on the web because it paints an unbalanced picture of our church.

More Protestant rhetoric

once again a Protestant that has mis-interpreted & mis-understood what the Bible actually says, especially when one takes the time to consider such things as the “translational” problems of hebrew/english & all of the proper teachings on Loving thy neighbor, or history

Just have to wonder what all those Christians did before the Bible was put together? I wonder what those Christians who did not have access to each individual scroll, handled their religion. I think it was probably the same ways the Jews handled theres. Tradition!

It appears to me that everything he said was his mere opinion. If we all have the holy spirit guiding us without a standard of measurement why is his interpretation more true than Scott Hahns? Are we to assume that the Holy Spirit guides everyone into different conclusions? If so, why did Jesus come and bring the good news and then leave it up to us on what interpretation to believe? I believe the Holy Spirit has guided me to accept the Catholic church’s interpretation as the true standard of measurement. God bless our pope!!!

Only in a Protestant church can you hear a freaking SERMON on the evils of the Catholic Church. Aren’t pastors supposed to be talking about God??? I cannot believe that guy said that “the Christian church is not a democracy.” That is exactly what Protestants treat it as!!! Why else would there be 33,000 different denominations??? I’m really getting sick of having to explain the same things to protestants all the time. I applaud the Catholic Answers team and all the other professional Apologists who do this for a living.

In Christ,
Rand

Interesting that the “sermon” also mentioned that the Papacy is a source of disunity which keeps the Protestants and Orthodox away. The Orthodox and the Protestants choose to stay separated by rejecting the Papacy as a unifiying foundation in the Church.

Oh, and about Luther not leaving the Church, he was told to recant or be excommunicated. He chose to be excommunicated, so indeed, he left the Church because he forced the Church’s hand.

[quote=Sir Knight]How would you respond to this?

I don’t think that statements like that about the Catholic faith should be left unchallenged on the web because it paints an unbalanced picture of our church.
[/quote]

Well…That is what all anti-catholic preachers do, Paint unbalanced pictures.
I have been to many, many, many denominations and what I noticed was that the preachers spend 70± % of their pulpit time removing the threads of Truth that holds catholic Faith together and 25±% on chit chat, then the remaining 5±% that is left on scripture.
Don’t they know the Gospel?.. that they have to revert to fodder to fill their pulpit space ?
maybe they only did it that day because they could smell a catholic among the “saints”.

Besides that;…
“There is but one body and one Spirit, just as there is but one Hope given all of you by your call.
There is one Lord, one Faith, one Baptism; One God and Father of all, who is over all, and works through all, and is in all.”

it says nothing there about “denominations”, …and besides that, “denomination” = a man named religious sect.
as contrasted to Jesus naming His church; "“Upon this rock I will build my church”.

for me to respond to stuff like that is like debating about validity of The Ark with someone swimming as hard as he can during the flood. ( I Peter 3:21)…thanks but no thanks.
:smiley:
gosano

[quote=gusano]… what I noticed was that the preachers spend 70± % of their pulpit time removing the threads of Truth that holds catholic Faith together and 25±% on chit chat, then the remaining 5±% that is left on scripture…
[/quote]

That’s interesting math. I always wondered why protestant sermons seemed to last more than 100% of what I could endure.

May be send them to this site catholicism.org/pages/aubrey.htm :smiley:

[quote=gap51]May be send them to this site catholicism.org/pages/aubrey.htm :smiley:
[/quote]

WOW!
Game, set and MATCH!

[quote=Sir Knight]How would you respond to this?

[/quote]

OTOH, it was long and I got bored with it very soon.

We can spend our time refuting stupidity as an apologetics exercise, but to think we can have a measureable impact on the total lies told in the world, would be like going to a cattle feed yard with a flyswatter thinking we’re going to reduce the fly population.

I say challenging the statement is optional. I’ve been trying for some time to find a quote from Abraham Lincoln I once saw, something to the effect, “if this office were to attempt to respond to, or even acknowedge, all of the charges leveled against it, it may as well close down for any other business.”

Beware this stuff could be bait to attract us to a futile intellectual battle.

I liked the story about the exorcism. Once I saw a TV show about some kid who I think was Lutheran, and needed an exorcism. They had to call in the “heavy artillery” that is the Catholic Church to get it done. It was very prolonged and as I recall took a tag team of at least two priests, but I’m not sure.

Also I used to have a videotape of an actual exorcism performed before cameras of some news show, like 20/20 or something. The TV special was authorized by the Church. It was very fascinating and informative. The exorcism was done by a “Father A” but they never showed his face on screen.

One time during some spiritual turmoil I watched it a year or so ago, somewhat fearful of what might happen, so I closed off the upstairs of my house and watched it up there. I figured it must have been pretty safe or the Church would not have let them make the video, but still I didn’t want an open door to downstairs and the rest of my family. After watching the tape, I had renewed confidence in the Catholic Church, and that helped me make the decision not to leave her, as I was having some real problems with her at that time. Then one day I got scared and hid the tape.

This recent winter, I had been looking for the tape, amid huge heaps of junk. Well, as it turns out the tape is most likely toast now because the whole upstairs of my house was destroyed in a Good Friday fire. I don’t know for sure; there are still a few boxes we have not gone through item by item. Coincidences? Who knows. Also on another thread I realized that we once had the house blessed, but we might have had upstairs closed off. After the house is restored, we might just have to have the whole thing blessed.

Alan

Thank you for your replies.

[quote=MMG]It appears to me that everything he said was his mere opinion. If we all have the holy spirit guiding us without a standard of measurement why is his interpretation more true than Scott Hahns? Are we to assume that the Holy Spirit guides everyone into different conclusions? If so, why did Jesus come and bring the good news and then leave it up to us on what interpretation to believe? I believe the Holy Spirit has guided me to accept the Catholic church’s interpretation as the true standard of measurement. God bless our pope!!!
[/quote]

Can I quote you over there?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.