A chapel in the making

In a previous topic I asked about more information about the construction of a chapel. A custom in my family for years. We let a chapel to be constructed after a “special occasion”. Now, the first steps have been taken, contact with our archbishop has been made and we are talking with an architect.

The original idea was the build a simpel chapel which could hold about twenty people, some could call it a “small church”. In order to obtain the “Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament” Masses must be done frequently. Hence, we went to a Dominican community and they are currently thinking about it.

Now, at our “conseil familiale” (family council?) some have suggested lots of “extra’s”. I will give you the main suggestions:

“Why not let it be a ‘full’ church instead of a chapel?” - What are the requirements? Does it have to have a parish, a territory? Can it be a small “parish” (or community/congregation) in an already existing parish?

“Why not make a hermitage?” - So, a small place to live attached to the chapel/church. And in it would live a hermit, who would take care of the Masses and general maintenance. Again, requirements and is it possible? Recently a hermitage has been founded in The Netherlands: Our Lady the Garden Enclosed

“Why not attach a collegial chapter to it?” - A chapter of secular chanons attached to the church. Who does this work? What I have read is that in Belgium the cathedral chapels gets dotations from the state (each chanons needs a pay/wage). But, collegiale chapters should be, I think, sponsered privatly (by our family in this case). Can this be done, to create a collegiale chapel?

To give you a little insight: the chapel/church will be build amidst fields, close to a small town (with a parish). Quite rural, but also not to far from a big(ger) city. The land and the money (and eventual permits) would be much problems.

I’m looking forwards on your advises and opinions. Thank you all very much. Pax vobiscum.

You mentioned in the previous thread that it has been about 20 years since the previous chapel from a family member has been build. What is the situation with that one? Do they have the Blessed Sacrament and are Masses celebrated there?

Most of the previously build chapels and small chapels, just a space with the statue of a saint and a (barred) glass door befored it. Sometimes there is the possiblity to light a candle. The biggest of our “family chapels” is the Saint Antonius Abbot-chapel (“Chapelle Saint Antoine Abbé”), it has a space with seven chairs in front of a statue of Saint Antonius Abbot. There are 14 of our family chapels across the Belgian church province.

Well it sounds like your family tradition is just to build a family chapel but you are wanting something more, that is, you want to have the Blessed Sacrament present. I as understand it, this chapel/church that you want to build is not solely for your family’s use? It would be nice if the Dominicans would stay there. Among the suggestions, you could think about haveing a retreat center where a few people may schedule a silent retreat. Maybe even people from other countries would be interested in going there. And you could charge a reasonable fee for the upkeep and support of the priests who stay there.

No, not solely for the family. It’s a “gift” from our family to the community. The building project, we hope, is a start and symbolizes the “rebuilding of faith” in the Church. Since recently things haven’t been going well in the Church in Belgium. The sex abuse scandels, “de-baptisms”,… All very painful to us.

And your phrase “it would be nice if the Dominicans would stay there”, they will continue to live in their community in the city, but they will (take turns or appoint one) make sure Masses will be held regulary in the church/chapel.

Thank you for your support and ideas!

UPDATE: The chapel will be dedicated to Our Lady of the Rosary! So, for now, the “official” name will be the Chapel of Our Lady of the Rosary (’‘Chapelle Notre-Dame du Rosaire’’).

A few things to consider, to make the establishment more useful:

-You could ask your archbishop to establish the chapel as a public oratory.

-The bishop may be looking for a place to hold Mass in the Extraordinary Form at the request of people in the diocese. Your chapel might be useful for this.

-There are many orders of priests that are young and in financial need to spread. You might invite one these new orders to come and run the chapel.

-This is one such order: canons-regular.org/ They are an order who serve to provide beauty in all liturgies, both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms. They also train priests and laity to appreciate the Latin Mass more fully: sanctamissa.org/ They have recently been invited to Portugal. The founder, Fr. C. Frank Phillips, is very nice and easy to talk to. Very approachable. It is something to consider.

By the way, I really like the chapel name and that is perfect for Dominicans!
[ATTACH]8873[/ATTACH]

I’ve hear the term “public oratory” many times here in this English language forum, but could you tell me what it is?

The bishop may be looking for a place to hold Mass in the Extraordinary Form at the request of people in the diocese. Your chapel might be useful for this.

We are going to talk with the Dominican community about this. But not solely the Tridentine Rite, also the Rite of Paulus VI. (And perhaps the Dominican Rite?)

-There are many orders of priests that are young and in financial need to spread. You might invite one these new orders to come and run the chapel.

-This is one such order: canons-regular.org/ They are an order who serve to provide beauty in all liturgies, both the Ordinary and Extraordinary Forms. They also train priests and laity to appreciate the Latin Mass more fully: sanctamissa.org/ They have recently been invited to Portugal. The founder, Fr. C. Frank Phillips, is very nice and easy to talk to. Very approachable. It is something to consider.

Thank you for the idea. We will discuss it at our family council and with the Dominicans. The Dominicans were a logical choice with their link to the Blessed Virgin and the Holy Rosary.

I like that name. And it goes well with the Dominican order since our Lady gave the rosary to St. Dominic.

That was the idea. :slight_smile:

I’ve hear the term “public oratory” many times here in this English language forum, but could you tell me what it is?

newadvent.org/cathen/11271a.htm

Our Holy Father has asked us to make reparation for the sexual abuse. I think it is wonderful that you want to make this gift/sacrifice to your community. And it can be a place where many prayers are offered in reparation as well as devotion to Our Blessed Mother and Jesus, our Eucharistic Lord. God bless you and all of your efforts in this project.

As I see it, an oratory is the synonym of a chapel where a Mass is performed. So basically what we are intenting to do.

Yes, but it gives the chapel a little more recognition and status in the diocese. Kind of like a parish, but not quite. The other advantage of having oratory status is, you would have better luck at getting permission for weddings, baptisms, Holy Week services, Christmas Mass, etc…

Yes, but it gives the chapel a little more recognition and status in the diocese. Kind of like a parish, but not quite. The other advantage of having oratory status is, you would have better luck at getting permission for weddings, baptisms, Holy Week services, Christmas Mass, etc…

Would the Oratory of Our Lady of the Holy Rosary be the (more) correct name then chapel of Our Lady… ?

Yes, most likely if the archbishop says yes. I would wait until you hear from the Dominicans and if they say yes or another order says yes, then discuss it with them first and then go to the archbishop. Better to have the plans in place first.

Ok, so, how about the fun stuff…do you have any style preferences? Any design ideas? Can we see something? :rolleyes:

I think that this is a wonderful thing! How beautiful! Yes, the Oratory of Our Lady of Rosary is the more proper name. The Dominican’s are a wonderful choice! They are familiar with the three rites, the Tridentine, Dominican and Vernacular! It would be wonderful if all 3 were offered. The Dominicans are a very orthodox and traditional order. God Bless you! I am going to pray for the construction, and that all goes well! How wonderful!

Ok, so, how about the fun stuff…do you have any style preferences? Any design ideas? Can we see something?

Ah, yes… :smiley: I gave the architect the order to make plans for a gothic(al?) church building. And since the reference to the Holy Rosary a rose window is required. He told me the plans would be ready in one to two weeks. But, soon I will start a topic where everybody on this forum can give his or her suggestions and ideas. It would be nice if the project would be carried by more then just a few people. :slight_smile:

I can’t wait to see…:stuck_out_tongue:

Hm… Two of my questions remain unanswered. :slight_smile:

“Why not make a hermitage?” - So, a small place to live attached to the chapel/church. And in it would live a hermit, who would take care of the Masses and general maintenance. Again, requirements and is it possible? Recently a hermitage has been founded in The Netherlands: Our Lady the Garden Enclosed

“Why not attach a collegial chapter to it?” - A chapter of secular chanons attached to the church. Who does this work? What I have read is that in Belgium the cathedral chapels gets dotations from the state (each chanons needs a pay/wage). But, collegiale chapters should be, I think, sponsered privatly (by our family in this case). Can this be done, to create a collegiale chapel?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.