A Chip in the head: Brain implants will be connecting people to the Internet by 2020

Would you like to surf the Internet, make a phone call or send a text message using only your brain? Would you like to “download” the content of a 500 page book into your memory in less than a second? Would you like to have extremely advanced nanobots constantly crawling around in your body monitoring it for disease? Would you like to be able to instantly access the collective knowledge base of humanity wherever you are?

All of that may sound like science fiction, but these are technologies that some of the most powerful high tech firms in the world actually believe are achievable by the year 2020. However, with all of the potential “benefits” that such technology could bring, there is also the potential for great tyranny. Just think about it. What do you think that the governments of the world could do if almost everyone had a mind reading brain implant that was connected to the Internet? Could those implants be used to control and manipulate us? Those are frightening things to consider.

More:

infowars.com/a-chip-in-the-head-brain-implants-will-be-connecting-people-to-the-internet-by-the-year-2020/

Yes, and in the 1960s Popular Science magazine said we’d all have flying cars by now. :rolleyes:

At this point in time, nothing surprises me.

God bless you! :smiley:

I’m not really too concerned.

Nobody’s gonna submit to brain surgery just for easier net access. (And would Obamacare pay for it?)

Now, if it were a simple jack that inserted into the back of the neck, with a nice red LED to shine out the nose in use; then maybe…:):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

And in 1985, they said we’d have hoverboards by 2015. And that the Cubs and White Sox would square off in the World Series! :stuck_out_tongue:

Ive wondered about this before, it seems if you look around, our world today is not that different from the 80s, still driving cars with internal combustion engines (for the most part),still using roads, houses and buildings are pretty much built the same way. It would seem we have kind of plateaued except in the computer industry, but even with that, how much further can they really go?

I realize trends change, a great example is just 10 years ago, to have the smallest cell phone was a big thing, now, it seems people want the larger ones, makes me wonder what cell phones will look like in another 10, 20, 50 years? they can only go 2 ways, large and small. Computers are similar, how far can they really go?

Concerning flying cars, I have heard from alot of experts once a room temp superconductor is created, then we have all the things we see in sci-fi movies. Im guessing this will be the next big thing, but I wonder if we cant already do such things, but they are holding on to old technology just so it does not wreak havoc on all the large industries that will suddenly no longer be needed, if something like hovering cars are created, what will become of the tire industry, those that build roads, etc. All those people will suddenly be out of a job.

Not really, these businesses would simply retool.

All of those aircraft would still need landing gear.

Road construction is done by the government, which would need to maintain them for military purposes.

And most human beings would still be moving around on the ground. Not everybody can pass a flight physical. And what about winter storms, or another 9-11 emergency?

The reason we don’t have flying cars (in fact, one version, the Terrafugia Transition, is now in production, if the dream is worth. $150k to you) is that all of those aircraft would jam up the air-traffic control system.

As to mobile phones, I don’t imagine the 1987 version ever coming back :):):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

Yes it would be a total nightmare to have flying cars, if you think about the logistics of it. There would still be people driving carelessly and crashing - and then falling onto houses/people below.

Use of chips in the brain for medical reasons is an exciting prospect, but undergoing that risk just to use the internet seems wrong to me.

I’ve actually had a chip in (or on) my brain. Before my surgery they wanted a better picture of what they’d be working on so they opened things up ad put in a rectangular array to do EEG readings of just that section of my brain. This application is actually fairly mature.

Using chips to help patients with epilepsy or Parkinson’s sounds promising but I don’t like the idea of trying to treat people with depression.

It will be interesting to see what happens to colleges when you complete a four year degree in one year of download-assisted learning.

As for connecting to the Internet, fuggedaboutit!! Anything can be hacked. If you ever wanted anything airgapped it’s the chip in your brain.

Any lawyers here? Will the cops be able to download your brainchip or will that be testifying against yourself?

Well what would the brainchip show them - suspicious internet activity, or actual thoughts that you had while committing the crime? If you’d somehow ‘uploaded’ your ‘thoughts’ to the internet via your brain, that could be seen as a confession to a crime, in the same way that writing HAHA I ROBBED A BANK on your facebook page could be. :hmmm:

My “flying cars” comment was intended to be somewhere between satirical and sarcastic. My point is, there have been 1000s of predictions over the years about what the future will be like but rarely does technology keep up with our imaginations.

I object to this this story as it could give credence to end times prophecies. As we all know, anything apoclyptic is heretical to the posters here at CAF and must be squashed. [/sarcasm off]

Yep what you wrote here are exactly my thoughts on the subject.

No, I’m thinking more of a case where you have a chip for augmented or prosthetic memory NOT internet connected.
Could they get a subpoena if they suspect you of whatever?

Agree with you. The thing is, all those wild “Popular Science”-type predictions (flying cars, household robots, cars running on water, personal jet-packs) don’t typically come true, but the real seismic-shift change of the Internet and personal technology overcame society at an unpredictably fast pace. Here in New England lots of folks live in 200-year-old homes in ways not all that different from our ancestors, but at the same time, can access data from the other side of the world on a device in their shirt pocket.

The issue with this is that a brain implant, capable of conveying information to the brain, would, necessarily, have enough influence on the brain to involuntarily affect it.

Thus, if a person hacked the brain chip belonging to another human, they could spam that person’s brain with information, incapacitating them permanently. :shrug:

Go Cubs!

We are already being controlled and manipulated by the media. What more could an implanted chip do to hamper our ‘liberties’ and ‘free will?’

Quite a good point.

After the mainframe analyzes our ‘potentials’ they could guide us to the proper ‘segment’ of earth land in which we could either become slaves, be used for spare body parts or for those of us who meet ‘qualifications’, we might be allowed to interbreed. I hope I get to go to the interbreed segment. :stuck_out_tongue:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.