A Chotki issue...

They do look gorgeous, don’t they? I’d love to buy them all!

Unfortunately I’ve already got such a collection of rosaries of various kinds (not to mention a certain blue knotted-twine chotki of my very own, thanks to Miz Zooey who makes them :wink: :whistle: ) that I really can’t be getting another one.

0 Likes

I was once told by an Orthodox monk that chotki/komboskini were only to be made of wool or other fabric and never beads. The reason he gave me was that beads click together and make noise, and are a distraction to hesachia. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

I thought Monastar Icons was a Catholic company? Am I confusing one company of the same name with another?

I recieved their catalog…they seemed pretty (lower-case “o”)orthodox! I didn’t notice much Hinduism… am I confused?

0 Likes

They put on a pretty good show, but no, they have never been Catholic as in “in union with Rome” nor Orthodox as in “in communion with the Moscow and Ecumenical Patriarchs” nor Orthodox as in “In communion with the Pope of Alexandria.”

And while at one point they might have been orthodox (with the lowercase o), they haven’t been that in well over a decade.

0 Likes

What is wrong with them?
(I’m not defending them, I just didn’t know that they weren’t Catholic :blush: )

0 Likes

Their tax documents list them as an ashram. That’s a term specific to Indian non-Christian traditions. There are plenty of rumors of sacrilegious practices, some of which are fairly reasonable; some have substantial circumstantial evidence to support them.

They have never been shown to be linked with any orthodox Christian communities that accept Nicea.

0 Likes

[quote="Aramis, post:26, topic:92762"]
Their tax documents list them as an ashram. That's a term specific to Indian non-Christian traditions. There are plenty of rumors of sacrilegious practices, some of which are fairly reasonable; some have substantial circumstantial evidence to support them.

They have never been shown to be linked with any orthodox Christian communities that accept Nicea.

[/quote]

Are they the ones that produced the Lord of the Dance "icon?"

0 Likes

[quote="LoyalViews, post:25, topic:92762"]
What is wrong with them?
(I'm not defending them, I just didn't know that they weren't Catholic :blush: )

[/quote]

Here's an article specifically about them:

orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.aspx

0 Likes

[quote="LilyM, post:21, topic:92762"]
They do look gorgeous, don't they? I'd love to buy them all!

Unfortunately I've already got such a collection of rosaries of various kinds (not to mention a certain blue knotted-twine chotki of my very own, thanks to Miz Zooey who makes them ;) :whistle: ) that I really can't be getting another one.

[/quote]

:D
You think you've got a problem? Try being the one who makes them, & see all these beautiful things that she would LOVE to buy, and then remembering, "Oh, that's right....I can just:o **make **another one for myslef....:blush:"

0 Likes

[quote="trophybearer, post:28, topic:92762"]
Here's an article specifically about them:

orthodoxinfo.com/general/monasteryicons.aspx

[/quote]

Thanks. This helped!
Well, I'm removing myself from their mailing list.

0 Likes

I used to own that site as Chaplets & Chotkis, but sold the url 3 years ago. I noticed a few months ago that the site now says “Shop is Closed” or something, but still is owned by the person I sold it to.

When I saw this, I re-opened Chaplets & Chotkis under a new url: chaplets-chotkis.com/, because I didn’t want there to be a dearth of chotkis for the Eastern Rite churches. If anyone is looking for a chotki, you can still find one at my new url! I’m planning to lower my prices after the first of the year too, because we are all still recovering from the recession. :wink:

0 Likes

closed #32
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.