A Christian denomination without a name?

I know a young lady who is very confused about faith. She grew up in what I want to call fundamentalist faith. Women wore skirts, and kept their hair long. The churches met in peoples homes and pastors travelled from house to house to preach. No drinking ect. She sais her religion does not have a name, and they are worldwide. She also mentioned that when you die you “slept” until the final judgement. Anyone familiar with this???

It sounds like Plymouth Brethren to me. They are very fractured and all besides their selves call them Plymouth Brethren.

They invented the “rapture” doctrine and very fundamental.

They sound like Oneness Pentecostalism but you didn’t mention whether they reject the Trinity or believe in speaking in tongues so I’m hesitant to say that they are, but they do sound similar.

Sounds like Seventh Day Adventism. “Soul sleep” is one of their distinctive. Of course, you can read through the Book of Revelation and behold, no one sleeps in heaven.

Seventh Day Adventism doesn’t mandate the long hair and skirts though…

I would say Oneness Pentecostal, but I don’ think they believe in soul sleep.

Is that anything like the Brethren Bible Chapel?

Speaking of Revelation, where is the church in all of that? They are mentioned at first, then nothing. Where are they if not on the earth while Hell’s unleashed?(sorry don’t know how to start a thread)

…sounds Pentecostal to me as well, but house churches are strange and probably all believe differently about certin issues.IE rapture, tongues, healing, and The Spirit’s basic role in their lives. The church I attend is just called (my city) Church of Almighty God. I don’t know of any other church called that.

Here you go:

forums.catholic.com/images/buttons_khaki/newthread.gif

The so-called Plymouth Brethren do not require skirts and long hair, and have no objection to moderate drinking.

By the way, I say ‘so-called’ because that’s what I’m asked to say. Since they are not a denomination, they don’t have a name. (I guess. That’s what they tell me.)

Sweet, thanks!

I just know that the Plymouth Brethren meet I house churches and have no name they all reecognise except brethren. They split at the drop of a hat.

Oneness Pentcostals go by different names they use like apostolic? United Pentecostal church International is their biggest denom.

They do have denominational names they go by.

I think it is best for all of us to stop playing the “Name that Christian community” game, otherwise we may have thousands, upon thousands, of post, that really go nowhere!

If you asked Her religion, she may be hesitant to answer, because she may reject the term religion, all together. Many Fundamentalist have REDEFINED religion to mean something much different, than the dictionary definition.** She may think religion is defined as " man doing things to please God." Or the word Religion, may mean RITUALISM to her**. There is no telling :shrug:

Here is a trusted and tried solution, ask her what the name of her fellowship community is, or ask her for some study material. It is next to impossible to find out, what Christian community she is apart of, by** Soul Sleep** Alone.

Just a heads up, Soul Sleep ( Christian Mortalism) was a doctrine that had it’s roots in the “Reformation”. It was invented to combat the Catholic teaching on purgatory.

William Tyndale argued against Thomas More in favour of soul sleep

William Tyndale (1494–1536) and John Wycliffe (1320–1384) taught the doctrine of soul sleep “as the answer to the Catholic teachings of purgatory and masses for the dead.”

Many Anabaptists in this period, such as Michael Sattler (1490–1527), were Christian mortalists.

However, the best known advocate of soul sleep was Martin Luther (1483–1546)

Present-day defenders of mortalism include many Anglicans, such as N. T. Wright and Nicky Gumbel,some Lutherans, the Seventh-day Adventist Church, Christadelphians, the Church of God (Seventh Day), Church of God (7th day) - Salem Conference, the Church of God Abrahamic Faith, and various other Church of God organizations including most Related Denominations which adhered to the older teachings of Herbert W. Armstrong’s Worldwide Church of God and the Bible Student movement.

So, to pinpoint what community she belongs to, is a long and winding road, and certainly one that leads away from Rome!

I attended a Mennonite Brethren congregation for about two years…the pastor was ex-JW…his comment on “soul sleep” or “unconsciousness” at death was …"Would it matter? One moment “you’ would be in this world…and the “next conscious” moment would be in the presence of God.” To the deceased person, there would be no “soul sleep”…only those who survived them in “mortality” would have any concept of them not “being here” or “in heaven” or "in hell’ or “in the grave” or ANYWHERE…for those who have died, the next conscious moment of their existence is in God’s presence…so when we die…there is no period of transition for us…we leave this world…and our next “experience” is in God’s presence…only those left in mortality worry about “soul sleep” as those who have gone on before aren’t experiencing anything until they “awake”.

Hi,
My daughter attends City Church here in Sheffield UK, so that makes two and there is also the “Hope City Church” here in Sheffield which makes three, they are not affiliated. They both have large congregations they are Biblically sound and are thriving. :slight_smile:

Soul sleeping? I know JW’s and SDA’s teach the same,unless they have changed their position?

Would ‘soul sleep’ be similar to Limbo?

That’s all I know. I think there are a lot in Arizona, and she lives in the Chicago suburbs.
I wish I knew more.

No! Limbo was merely theological speculation/theory…never a doctrine or dogma. Limbo usually is linked to unbaptized babies.

I’m just wondering what the Roman Catholic position is regarding the soul after death?

The following is from the CC Catechism on your question:

Although physical human bodies die, human souls never die. The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that every spiritual soul “is immortal: It does not perish when it separates from the body at death, and it will be reunited with the body at the final Resurrection” (CCC 366).

So at the moment of death, the soul separates from the body, is judged immediately, and enters either heaven (immediately or through purgatory) or hell.

Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven—through a purification or immediately—or immediate and everlasting damnation. (CCC 1022)

(For scriptural evidence of this, see Luke 16:22; 23:43; 2 Cor. 5:8; Phil. 1:23.)

Every soul will unite with its resurrected body just prior to the Last Judgment (“Judgment Day”) when Christ returns:

In the presence of Christ, who is Truth itself, the truth of each man’s relationship with God will be laid bare. The Last Judgment will reveal even to its furthest consequences the good each person has done or failed to do during his earthly life . . .

The Last Judgment will come when Christ returns in glory. Only the Father knows the day and the hour; only he determines the moment of its coming. Then through his Son Jesus Christ he will pronounce the final word on all history. We shall know the ultimate meaning of the whole work of creation and of the entire economy of salvation and understand the marvelous ways by which his Providence led everything towards its final end. The Last Judgment will reveal that God’s justice triumphs over all the injustices committed by his creatures and that God’s love is stronger than death. (CCC 1039-1040)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.