"a closed mind leaves no room for god"

Dear frind in Christ:

I recently came across an interestering quote. What does it mean to you?

“A CLOSED MIND LEAVES NO ROOM FOR GOD”

God Bless you,
Patrick

If I close my front door how can anyone get in?

You have to show some interest at first.

It means that you are limited by what you know, or what you think you know, and that no further growth can be undertaken.

I’m Protestant, and recently, once again, I’ve felt lead to check out the Catholic Church. This time though I am studying it from the original sources rather than through Protestant eyes and interpretations. I’m trying to have “an open mind” so that God can work and teach me.

And do you know what I just learned? I just read the Early Church Fathers and what they taught about confession. I am blown away. I have no words. It’s all there. NOBODY ever taught me that and I was in a Protestant Bible College for two years. NOBODY. EVER. ONCE. SAID. THIS.

I was taught by those with closed minds. They were lovely men and women of God who had strong faiths and led godly lives, but apparently they would not or could not teach us this. I don’t understand how they could not read the ECF and NOT see what it says.

I am now sitting here wondering what on earth to do with this information. God work in me so I can see the truth and be confident that truth is what I am seeing.

=Jennie1964;11885637]It means that you are limited by what you know, or what you think you know, and that no further growth can be undertaken.

I’m Protestant, and recently, once again, I’ve felt lead to check out the Catholic Church. This time though I am studying it from the original sources rather than through Protestant eyes and interpretations. I’m trying to have “an open mind” so that God can work and teach me.

And do you know what I just learned? I just read the Early Church Fathers and what they taught about confession. I am blown away. I have no words. It’s all there. NOBODY ever taught me that and I was in a Protestant Bible College for two years. NOBODY. EVER. ONCE. SAID. THIS.

I was taught by those with closed minds. They were lovely men and women of God who had strong faiths and led godly lives, but apparently they would not or could not teach us this. I don’t understand how they could not read the ECF and NOT see what it says.

I am now sitting here wondering what on earth to do with this information. God work in me so I can see the truth and be confident that truth is what I am seeing.

Hi Jennie:) WELCOME TO CAF!

Among the MOST difficult to grasp facys about Gods truth is that GOD ALONE can grant one the graces necessary to [1] receive it [2] the grasp it [3] then rightly understand it:)

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT GOD WILL DO THIS FOR ANYONE AND EVERYONE WHO SEEKS HIM WITH AN OPEN MIND AND HEART.:thumbsup:

**PRAY much, and ask the Holy Spirit to guide your search.

A cautionary note. This is a TRULY GREAT FORUM; however because of its very public nature you WILL encounter Good, OK, and even some poor information so PRAYER is extremely important to be enabled to discern one from the other.

When in doubt, insist on evidence of the position.:thumbsup:

God Bless you,
Patrick [PJM]

Yes, I remember going back to scripture and reading it without a Protestant lens. It is drastically different.

I am more interested in renewing my mind, not closing or opening it.

This may be true, but it should be considered with caution. I have no doubt that Satan is looking for open minds to infiltrate. When the discussions about morality come up, those seeking to overturn traditional values are harangued with “keep an open mind.”

Keep your mind open to God but closed to that which opposes him.

What is it mean by “mind”? What does it mean by “closed”? What does it mean by “God”?

On the surface it could mean anything I want it to. I could define “Closed Mind” as someone who disagrees with anything I say, and “God” as whatever position I’ve taken in the debate.

Therefore, it is a quite handy tool to reinforce my own self righteousness (not that I need any others, I do quite well with the tools I already have).

I could define “closed mind” as “a mind incapable of considering new opinions/experiences” and “God” as “new experiences”.

And what does “room for God” mean?

Meh. It’s as meaningless as 90% of the pithy slogans I see and use regularly.

On the other hand, it could express a nice sentiment - be open for the Divine. Which is a good thing. But it expresses it negatively. Meh.

=House Harkonnen;11885990]I am more interested in renewing my mind, not closing or opening it.

Fair enough:)

If you’d care to be more specific maybe we can help you:)

God Bless you,
Patrick

Try a slightly different version: “A closed mind leaves no room for Vishnu.”

The quote leaves a great many underlying assumptions unstated.

rossum

I think it means that it is a closed way of thinking that is not open to dialogue, to the possibility that there is something else, the possibility that God speaks to us.

What I meant to say was "those seeking to **uphold **traditional values. . . "

A closed mind is a discerning mind which questions things heavily before letting anything in. It is good to be closed minded because to be open minded is not believe in anything.

An open mind means that you listen and analyze any and all thoughts, instead of simply rejecting them out-of-hand if you may possibly disagree with them. Closed-mindedness is something I’ve found to be a characteristic of both hardened atheists and Pharisees. I don’t think Aquinas could have written the Summa without being open-minded. Even my atheist friend said that Aquinas was a master of critical thinking.

I also have a friend who engages in dialogue about abortion. He considers it of utmost importance to hear people out who disagree with him so he can find common ground with them.

Finally, I think Chesterton said this gem: “it is not arrogance to believe you are right. It is arrogance to never consider the idea that you could be wrong.”

=gcnuss;11887900]This may be true, but it should be considered with caution. I have no doubt that Satan is looking for open minds to infiltrate. When the discussions about morality come up, those seeking to overturn traditional values are harangued with “keep an open mind.”

Keep your mind open to God but closed to that which opposes him.

That chages the subjet a wee bit, BUT is a VERY valid point. Thank you:)

=IgnatianPhilo;11890370]A closed mind is a discerning mind which questions things heavily before letting anything in. It is good to be closed minded because to be open minded is not believe in anything.

My dear FRIEND in Christ,

You’re logic seems to me to be a DUH:shrug:

Truth is amd must be singular per defined issue. If one’s mind is closed, One cannot at the same time be a seeker of Gods Truth:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.