A Confession story

Hello All…

I was wondering if anyone here can help.

My daughter is preparring for her first Reconcilliation.

I’d like to share a story that was emailed to me with all the families in her class, but I can’t find it or remember the details.

I read it in an email a while back. The story was about Confession and a rope. The story told about everytime we sin we cut the rope and everytime we go to Confession God ties the rope together. It goes on to say that the knots make the rope shorter…getting you closer to God in the process.

Does anyone here know what story I’m talking about? Do you have it on file? If so, please post it here.

Thank you and Gods Blessings :tiphat:

I know the story you’re talking about, but I couldn’t find it. I did find the An Explanation of the Baltimore Catechism of Christian Doctrine For The Use of Sunday-School Teachers and Advanced Classes (Also known as Baltimore Catechism No. 4), specifically Question 17 explained:

So also God not only watches His creatures, but likewise provides for them. Since we depend so much upon Him,
[left] is it not great folly to sin against Him, to offend, and
[/left]
[left] tempt Him as it were? There are some birds that build
[/left]
[left] their nests on the sides of great rocky precipices by the
[/left]
[left] seacoast. Their eggs are very valuable, and men are let
[/left]
[left] down by long ropes to take them from the nest. Now
[/left]
[left] while one of these men is hanging over the fearful
[/left]
[left] precipice, his life is entirely in the hands of those holding
[/left]
[left] the rope above. While he is in that danger do you not
[/left]
[left] think he would be very foolish to tempt and insult those
[/left]
[left] on whom his life depends, when they could dash him to
[/left]
[left] pieces by simply dropping the rope? While we live here
[/left]
[left] upon earth we are all hanging over a great precipice,
[/left]
[left] namely, eternity; God holds us by the little thread of our
[/left]
[left] lives, and if He pleased to drop it we should be hurled
[/left]
[left] into eternity. If we tempt or insult Him, He might drop
[/left]
[left] or cut the thread while we are in mortal sin, and then,
[/left]
[left] body and soul, we go down into Hell.
[/left]

If you add to the end of this that by committing venial sins we are running a knife across the thread that holds us to God, and in the Sacrament of Reconciliation God restores our thread, that should pretty much be the story you’re thinking about.

Hope this helps,
RyanL [left]
[/left]

Thank you Ryan :slight_smile:
That’s good too.

But I’d really like to find this story. I have google all kinds of words and can’t seem to find it…ugggg.

I think I saved it at one point, but on my other computer…it crashed and now the story is lost.

I’ll keep googleing…hopefully I’ll find it.

I guess I need to pray to St. Anthony?? :smiley:

I was disappointed when I read this… I came up with the rope analogy, and now I find somebody else thought of it before me! Well, “great minds think alike,” I guess…

See if this helps any:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=68136&highlight=confession+re-baptism

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.