A conversation about Faith

Hi,
Matthew 25:25 " And I was afraid and went and hid your talent in the ground. Look, there you have what is yours."

Matthew 25:26 " But his Lord answered and said to him, " You wicked and lazy servant, you knew that I reap where I have not sown, and gather where I have not scattered seed
25:27 “So you ought to have deposited my money with the bankers, and at my coming I would have received back my own with interest.”

Now faith is a gift given by grace, but it is faith which is the gift. Grace is the free giving.
Faith is the talent given by God to us in various amounts.
Now if you have been given a measure of faith you need to ask your self "have I buried it in the ground or am I using it in God’s service."
If you are hiding in the law there is no need to exercise your faith. You practise living by the law, obeying these written words.This does not require faith.The law is written in front of your eyes, faith is not required.
The courageous part of Christianity is walking by faith.
Look at Abraham. God said go and sacrifice your son so he went.
That is one powerful act of walking in faith. Walking in faith produced the works.
** Living by a bunch of rules is living by a bunch of rules, it is not walking in faith.**
If you are not following the leading of the Holy Spirit, you can not be walking in faith. You can not see the Holy Spirit so you obviously are walking in faith, believing He is leading you.
If you are not walking in faith, and you have faith, then you have buried it in the ground.
I read many posts on this list where people expound their knowledge about faith.
This reminds me of a group of professors teaching business. They have read scores and scores of books and studied the subject for many years but they have never put their knowledge to the test. They are speaking without true knowledge. They are dangerous.
I am calling everyone here to help their fellow members who may be in danger because they have buried their talent.
Witness to the members here, how, on one occasion you exercised your faith. Please help those who are in danger.
saved by faith alone ( Using God’s gifts in His service according to the leading of the Holy Spirit)
walk in love
edwinG

Thankyou for commending our Faith:) I am glad you can see shining examples of our Faith in action like Pope John Paul2 and Mother Teresa:) Look at how God took his humble servants and worked through them:) One correction though Faith is received by grace;)

I am guilty

While Jesus was having dinner at Levi’s house, many tax collectors and “sinners” were eating with him and his disciples, for there were many who followed him. When the teachers of the law who were Pharisees saw him eating with the “sinners” and tax collectors, they asked his disciples: “Why does he eat with tax collectors and ‘sinners’?”
On hearing this, Jesus said to them, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

I read this today and it struck me how I could identify with the Pharisees more readily than the tax-collectors. I realised that I can often find myself obsessed with rules and laws to the point where faith becomes secondary. I will pray that I may find inspiration from the great martyrs to exercise my faith more openly.

See how Abraham obeyed God because he had faith? When we obey “a bunch of rules” we are obeying God in the same way, because they are His rules as taught by the authority His Son founded and the Holy Spirit guides.

When you say to witness an occasion when I exercised my faith, what do you mean? Like an instance when I obeyed God or followed His gace? A good work I may have done? A hard time when I put my trust in Him?

Well, let’s see (hope this doesn’t come across as boasting, but you asked for it): I volunteer at the soup kitchen. I’ve been sticking up for the Church’s “hardline” stance when people I know have criticized it. A while back, I totally submitted myself to His will as it is taught by the Church and another private situation in which I have decided to totally trust Him in the outcome. I’ve been resisting temptation well with the help of His grace as well. Is that what you were looking for?:)I’m thinking abiut teachng CCD too, but I feel unqualified. I’ll pray about it.

Well then ya better get into the Catholic Church and begin to live the sacramental life by faith and listen to the Holy Spirit when He tells you that you need to abandon churches founded by men and who mislead people with their doctrines that one can know all one needs to learn of Christianity from your personal interpretation of the Bible which is where all those winds of doctrines came from to begin with. :slight_smile:

[quote=Sowndog]I am guilty

I read this today and it struck me how I could identify with the Pharisees more readily than the tax-collectors. I realised that I can often find myself obsessed with rules and laws to the point where faith becomes secondary. I will pray that I may find inspiration from the great martyrs to exercise my faith more openly.
[/quote]

Hi Sowndog,
Your heart is open, my eyes are wet.
my prayers are with you
Seek the leading of the Holy Spirit
Listen for a while and ask God in Christ’s Holy name to help your faith to grow and follow what you “hear” if it does not contradict scripture. Stay in the middle of scripture.Christ will protect you.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=Genesis315]See how Abraham obeyed God because he had faith? When we obey “a bunch of rules” we are obeying God in the same way, because they are His rules as taught by the authority His Son founded and the Holy Spirit guides.

When you say to witness an occasion when I exercised my faith, what do you mean? Like an instance when I obeyed God or followed His gace? A good work I may have done? A hard time when I put my trust in Him?

Well, let’s see (hope this doesn’t come across as boasting, but you asked for it): I volunteer at the soup kitchen. I’ve been sticking up for the Church’s “hardline” stance when people I know have criticized it. A while back, I totally submitted myself to His will as it is taught by the Church and another private situation in which I have decided to totally trust Him in the outcome. I’ve been resisting temptation well with the help of His grace as well. Is that what you were looking for?:)I’m thinking abiut teachng CCD too, but I feel unqualified. I’ll pray about it.
[/quote]

Hi Genesis,
No Genesis this is not boasting. This is edifying. You have opened yourself up to help your brothers.
Obeying that voice ( the Holy Spirit) is walking in faith.
knowledge of Him and His ways and submission to His will helps us to discern His voice. It takes faith and practice.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=Church Militant]Well then ya better get into the Catholic Church and begin to live the sacramental life by faith and listen to the Holy Spirit when He tells you that you need to abandon churches founded by men and who mislead people with their doctrines that one can know all one needs to learn of Christianity from your personal interpretation of the Bible which is where all those winds of doctrines came from to begin with. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Hi Church Militant,
I dont understand how living the sacramental life is a step in faith. Can you find these dates on a calendar or by repetition. Can you explain please. You are telling me what the Holy Spirit is telling me. This isnt possible. You are mistaken.
Make your words worth something.
Tell us of an instant when you stepped out in faith. This will edify all those who read.
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=Lisa4Catholics]Thankyou for commending our Faith:) I am glad you can see shining examples of our Faith in action like Pope John Paul2 and Mother Teresa:) Look at how God took his humble servants and worked through them:) One correction though Faith is received by grace;)
[/quote]

Hi Lisa4Catholics,
Thanks for joining. If you talk in specifics about your own circumstances it will be of greater value and more helpful. Would you like to help?
walk in love
edwinG

[quote=edwinG]Hi Sowndog,
Your heart is open, my eyes are wet.
my prayers are with you
Seek the leading of the Holy Spirit
Listen for a while and ask God in Christ’s Holy name to help your faith to grow and follow what you “hear” if it does not contradict scripture. Stay in the middle of scripture.Christ will protect you.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

Thank you for your concern, edwinG. Your prayers are much appreciated:)

Sowndog

[quote=edwinG]Hi Church Militant,
I dont understand how living the sacramental life is a step in faith. Can you find these dates on a calendar or by repetition. Can you explain please. You are telling me what the Holy Spirit is telling me. This isnt possible. You are mistaken.
Make your words worth something.
Tell us of an instant when you stepped out in faith. This will edify all those who read.
walk in love
edwinG
[/quote]

So Edwin…every response to God is a step of faith
So I cannot speak from the Holy Spirit in your life? Silly…Why do you think that some have entertained angels unawares? (Hebrews 13:2) The problem is that one may fail to recognize the least of these brethren…am I not one of them?

What calendar and dates? The sacraments are tangible means by which God ministers to us graces to live a holy life. There are many examples of Jesus doing this very thing. For instance the blind man who was cured when Jesus used spit to make mud and applied it to his eyes. The touch of His hand when he healed a leper…and His fingers in the man’s ears and the fact that He spit when he healed the deaf mute. There are many more… These are sacraments…

I am mistaken? How do you know? Have you asked Our Lord if you should join us in the Catholic Church? Do you even dare? My words are worth something if you are brave enough to test their value with the Holy Spirit.

Stop trying to measure real NT Christianity by your own thinking and open your heart to the movement of the Holy Spirit as He calls you into His church and to the fullness of truth. There’s my explaination…listen to the Holy Spirit Edwin. Today is the day and you must not harden your heart.
Pax vobiscum,

EdwinG,

You said we are saved by faith ALONE. Where does the Bible teach that?

My Bible says “by works a man is justified and NOT by faith alone” (James 2:24). Do you believe that part of the Bible? If not, why not?

Of course no man is justified by the “works of the law”, since the old law has passed away. But do you believe the Bible when it says we are not justified by faith alone?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.