A Conversation with Fareed Zakaria

Has anyone heard of this guy? I guess he is the international news editor for newsweek and writes about foreign affairs. he seems like a pretty knowledable guy.

here is an interview with him on the Charlie Rose show

Interview

I haven’t watched the interview, but could you please tell me how this man is “Catholic News”? Is he Catholic? The name suggests he is not, so I’m hoping for a clarification. Thanks.

Srry I meant to post in Secular News. I dont know how i made that mistake:o

O.K. Thanks for clarifying. :slight_smile:

What is your point? Thorugh IR is not my area I am familiar with his writings. He is thoughtful, well-trained and not-infallible, of course. Here is a link to his web site.
fareedzakaria.com/about.html

He seems to be an advocate of America must become like everyone else (or something like that):

ZAKARIA: We have to adjust. First of all, it’s a much more competitive world. We have to be benchmarking. We have to be asking ourselves, what’s going on? Give you simple example. Meredith there are three countries in the world that have not adopted the metric system: Myanmar, Liberia, and the United States. So we look around the world and “We say, that’s okay. Those standards are for you. We’re special, we’re different.” And what I’m saying is that era of kind of “American exceptionalism” is over.

%between%

He is absolutely correct.

He seems to be an advocate of America must become like everyone else (or something like that)

As far as the metric system is concerned, it’s happening now. Manufacturers in the US have realized that the customary system is costing them billions in sales to the rest of the world.

And so they are going metric, a bit at a time. Not a bad thing, it’s easier to use, and it’s a little annoying having to keep two sets of sockets.

Actually, the metric system IS the official system of the USA.

Inches, feet, pounds, quarts, gallons, and the like are officially defined in terms of metric units.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.