A conversation with my husband.

Hello! My husband, Matt and I were having a discussion the other day about the fate of Jehovas Witnesses, Muslims etc. I believe that if a person is raised to truly believe that what they believe in, spiritually, is right and good and that the lives that they live warrant them a “spot in heaven” that God will not “punish” (for lack of a better description) them for it and they will not go to hell. My husband doesn’t think so. I just don’t think that our Lord would “punish” his children if what they believe is something that they have had put into their heads since they were children and they totally believe, with all their hearts, that they are doing right. Like the Muslim suicide bombers. If they truly believe that what they are doing is for the Lord, do you think they go to hell?
I would love to hear your opinions!

Yes, I do think the Muslim suicide bombers will go to hell, of course only God knows for sure.

Jesus said that he was the way, the truth and the life and that nobody came to the father except through him. I know that the Catholic Church does not teach this exactly, but Scripture tells us that you need to be a faithful disciple of Christ to be saved. The JW are heretical, but I suspect that even so that there are some faithful Christians even there. In Islam? I don’t see how that could be.

That’s a great trick woven by the evil one. He’s working on getting us all to actually believe it. We just need to have faith and be good people.

It’s really not about what we believe - it’s all about the truth. We can chose to believe anything we want - but that does not make things so - or make something a reality.

Having been a Jehovah’s Witness, totally believing that I was pleasing God, this question is close to my heart.

I do believe that God calls out to us throughout our lives and it is up to us to respond to His calling. I also believe that we who know the truth about God are commanded to tell others. We can’t just assume that all paths lead to God & everyone is OK on whatever path they choose.

What God does with good people who through no fault of their own are on the wrong path is not for me to say. I know though that God’s word says that if we are not WITH God, we are against Him. Also, no one comes to the Father, except through Jesus… and narrow is the road leading to eternal life in heaven and few find it. From what I know of scripture, I’d say your husband is closer to the truth than you… but again, who am I to speak for God? He will save whomever he choses…but if those others are in heaven, it is because of Jesus’ death on the cross and God’s mercy - not because they were “good people.”

I understand completely that it’s about the truth. But, if these people truly believe that what they are doing is God’s will, what becomes of them? I just can’t imagine being raised Muslim etc. and believing what they do whole heartedly, dying and then going to hell. It’s not their faults that they believe what they do if that’s what was instilled in them as children. Now, the ones who convert from other religions, I definitely say they go to hell. Oh, the questions that go through my mind lol

I think there are two important ideas to consider: Natural Law and Mortal Sin.

First of all, natural law tells us that we know, inherently, basic ideas of right and wrong. Second of all, mortal sin identifies when there is a free will decision to deny God and His Truth, or not. With that said, one could say that nobody can deny knowing that killing non-combatants is wrong. At the same time, nobody can know for sure what their state of mind was at the time of committing the act. While some people have allowed evil to permeate them so much that they made conscience decisions to go against the natural law, others have been pressured or coaxed in a manner that misled them in a way that removed a free will decision from the gravity of the act.

Actually the Catholic Church does teach that nobody comes to the Father but through Jesus. It is in the Bible, that the Catholic Church complied by the way. :wink:

Regarding those who through no fault of their own have not been taught the truth about God, I would think that the Lord would have great mercy on them. In fact the Catechism of the Catholic Church states:

**“841 **The Church’s relationship with the Muslims. ‘The plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place amongst whom are the Muslims; these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind’s judge on the last day.’”

I wonder, though, if suicide bombers who obviously have been taught to hate the crucified Christ will recognize and submit themselves to Him when they do stand before Him.

However, our duty is not to judge their eternal resting place, but to stay firm in our faith, to resist evil, and to pray for our enemies.

That’s true in the case of proximity and salvation history, but with Christ’s death and resurrection, we now have both the possibility to encounter God in His fullness in heaven, but we are also able to communicate with any one person of the Trinity if we so will.

I am truly enjoying reading everyones replies. I have to go to my niece and nephews birthday party and I look forward to returning this evening and reading more of your thoughts and responding to some of the above.

Why would God bother to communicate with His creation using the various covenants over all those centuries? Why would He establish the new covenant and bother to suffer ignominy on the cross if He didn’t care what we follow or practice?

Jesus taught that the way to destruction is a very wide super highway, but the way to eternal life is a very narrow foot path.

The Catholic church or some in it, teach a doctrine called Invincible Ignorance and as the result there is not much preaching the gospel to muslims within catholic circles. Yes, you “dialogue” with them. But, when was the last time you told a muslim that they are dying in their sins without the real Jesus?

In Matthew 7:21-23 we learn that there are even “christians” who are not going to make it to heaven.

Whats to say, that God can’t reveal himself to individuals in various cultures to believe in Jesus? Missionaries have come back from their mission fields saying this happens.

We have some protestants who teach “inclusivism” or “pluralism” about world religions. But, many of those same people are pro-abortion. So, how reliable are they really?

Hi,

In the bible , it does talk about false teachers and people will be led astray. Muslims are being led astray. Anyone who is being taught something other then Jesus Christ is being led astray.:frowning: Which ultimately means hell.:frowning: Maybe some will not suffer as much in hell as others–I dont know. Just my :twocents:

I leave the decison about who will and who will not go to hell to God. I know that if I do my best to be a good Catholic I will go to heaven but where good Muslims, Hindus, Jews, Buddhists go I have no way of knowing.

Christ does care how we live. He respects our agency and forces no man into heaven. Much of what we do is a reflection of who we truly are. I believe ultimately we will be satisfied with our final destination because it will fit us to a tee. Those who found joy living celestial law during this mortal life will find living in a heavenly kingdom a natural fit. Christ walks a fine line of trying to encourage us to do what is right without spoiling our need to act by faith. He’s not just interested in us living good, but he wants us to be good.

Those who act out of ignorance? Don’t count out the mercy of God.

Exactly. I read of a Saint once said that to let people know about The Catholic Church Christ started, and to still turn their backs on the one true religion, that one will go to hell, because he knew…and still didn’t follow it.

“Give everything you can. Give everything you can anyway, because in the final analysis it is between you and God, it wasn’t between you and them anyway.”—Mother Teresa

St. PIUS X- “That Christ did not teach a determined body of doctrine applicable to all times and to all men, but rather that He inaugurated a religious movement adapted, or to be adapted, to different times and different places, is hereby condemned as error.”(Errors of the Modernists no. 59)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.