A correlation between when a people converted to Christianity and their affinity to Protestantism?

I sat in on my friends sociology class at UC Berkeley where his professor made an interesting observation. He claims that there’s an inverse correlation between how long a group had embraced Christianity prior to the Reformation and its likelihood of embracing some form of Protestantism after the Reformation (in this case, the professor used the term “Protestantism” to mean any school of reformation including but not limited to Lutheranism, Zwinglism, and Calvinism).

He pointed to modern nations which were historically under direct control of the former Roman Empire (such as Spain, Portugal, Italy, France, Britain, southern Germany, etc) which likewise embraced Christianity early on; either prior to the fall of the empire or shortly after (in the early Middle Ages). Such nations, which have a much longer history with Christianity tended to remain Catholic the professor noted while nations further to the north which were either never part of the empire, or embraced Christianity much much later (almost in the second millennium) were also nations which after their very short introduction to Christianity were quick to embrace Protestantism. He points to nations such as Denmark, Norway, Sweden, the Netherlands, northern Germany, northern Poland (i.e. former Prussia), etc where paganism held strong all the way up until only a few centuries prior to the reformers.

Now this professor was very clear in reminding all his students that this correlation should in no way be used to draw any causative conclusions without further discussion and further evidence.

I thought this professor’s lecture was rather interesting and am curious about the CAF opinion. Do you think this correlation has any merit? If so, what can be extrapolated from it? Is there any other historical evidence to show that the shorter a nation’s history with Christianity was (or in other words, the longer its history with paganism was) the more likely that nation were to embrace Protestantism?

Most importantly, which conclusions could be drawn?

One of the best books I ever read on the Reformation and how Europe was split (divided) up between Catholicism and Protestantism is a book entitled, “How the Reformation Happened” by Hilaire Belloc. You can buy it from CA.

The main root of the Reformation wasn’t so much a disagreement with Catholic dogma, but avarice and the hatred of the priesthood.

Also, while Luther was the spark of the Reformation, it was Calvin that blew the Reformation wide open. Without Calvin, the Reformation wouldn’t have been successful.

It’s a great read. Even today, the nations that are Catholic and Protestant were settled way back in the 17th century.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.